Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Commander Class?

Jetfire and Sky Lynx were the go-to big but not huge G1 characters, so it's a really weird spot we're in now. Some figures I would like to see in this class:

Monstructor

This was suggested already, but G1 Monstructor is in a really special spot in terms of getting an update. He's a combiner, albeit small because the components are all Micromasters. I think Commander class would work really well for a combiner Monstructor with 6 legends-sized bots. We have already received this kind of tech with POTP Battleslash and Battletrap done quite well, and the price point would probably accomodate for them nicely at a similar level of intricacy. I think most would not mind losing the Pretender shells if the alt modes were well done (unlike the originals), though I could see them being released in some kind of Selects or Pulse exclusive set later on for those that want them.

There is also easy potential for a Dinoforce/Dinoking retool set, though likely to be a Takara exclusive like the Seacons if it were made.

Star Saber

Star Saber is probably amongst the most popular and maybe more expected characters for the Commander class treatment, especially as the character was already featured in the Power of the Primes poll a little while back. I'd imagine in the current state of CHUG releases lately, that he'd pretty much be a budget version of the MP Star Saber. I'd say he is quite inevitable as one of the more well known Japanese-exclusive G1 characters.

Deathsaurus/Dezarus

Deathsaurus is the counterpart to Star Sabre and one of the more well known Japanese G1 characters. Given that Hasbro and Takara have not been shying away from the goofy beast modes like the Decepticon Headmasters and Sky Lynx, I'd say there would be no issue there either. I am curious to see what Hasbro does with his name, seeing as "Death"-anything is generally off the cards for character names in Western markets. He was listed as "unknown evil" on the POTP poll, so maybe they didn't know yet what he should be called.

Thunderwing

Though possibly better for leader class, Thunderwing is generally recognisable by fans and has a cool design. The Commander class could potentially let us see both his inner robot get a figure, as well as the larger more iconic Pretender shell. Also featured on the POTP poll. Repaint potential for Black Shadow.

I think this concept of the Commander class having both the inner robot and shell getting detailed full figures (albeit both smaller than a full commander like Jetfire obviously) could also work for Bludgeon, another recognisable late G1 character.

Thunderclash

Thunderclash is another great option considering his (somewhat) recent IDW fame. His truck trailer base mode especially in the current Micromaster focus of WFC would be great for Commander class, along with a robot mode that isn't enormous- possibly voyager to leader-sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Ive changed my mind.

Surely the next Commander Class toy is the Giant Purple Griffin! I mean, just change a few parts on Sky Lynx, glue the two halves together and slap a nice uniform purple on it and done!
    The purple griffin in all honesty wouldn't be a terrible idea for a relatively simple Selects figure. Slap a new head on there, make a Decepticon character profile and personality, it would be a cool little nod to the fans like some of the eHobby G1 repaints they did in the early 2000s. The berry purple would make for a nice funky shuttle mode too.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Monstructor

.....G1 Monstructor is in a really special spot in terms of getting an update. He's a combiner, albeit small because the components are all Micromasters.
    Aside from the fact that they've never been classified as Micromasters, the Monster Pretenders are also larger than the Micromasters.
    Your typical Micromaster is about 5cm tall whereas Monster Pretenders are about 6cm tall as robots, which is closer to the size of an Autobot Mini-Vehicle.

I think Commander class would work really well for a combiner Monstructor with 6 legends-sized bots. We have already received this kind of tech with POTP Battleslash and Battletrap done quite well, and the price point would probably accomodate for them nicely at a similar level of intricacy. I think most would not mind losing the Pretender shells if the alt modes were well done (unlike the originals), though I could see them being released in some kind of Selects or Pulse exclusive set later on for those that want them.
    It would certainly match the size of Monstructor and Dino King as shown in canon.

And I think that the Pretender shells could be made as small accessories similar to the Prime Master "Decoys" seen in POTP. Or even just little solid unarticulated PVC figurines - you could call those Decoys too (in the same style as the G1 Decoys ). They don't have to be working Pretenders. And then you could make a new set of Decoys for Dinoking at little cost.

Star Saber

Star Saber is probably amongst the most popular and maybe more expected characters for the Commander class treatment, especially as the character was already featured in the Power of the Primes poll a little while back. I'd imagine in the current state of CHUG releases lately, that he'd pretty much be a budget version of the MP Star Saber. I'd say he is quite inevitable as one of the more well known Japanese-exclusive G1 characters.
    Yeah, commercially speaking I'd say that Star Sabre is the most viable. Even for TakaraTOMY given that Star Sabre has been the [b]only[/i] non-Early G1 Transformer made as an MP (not including redecos), and that was a result of a fan poll too.

Deathsaurus/Dezarus

Deathsaurus is the counterpart to Star Sabre and one of the more well known Japanese G1 characters. Given that Hasbro and Takara have not been shying away from the goofy beast modes like the Decepticon Headmasters and Sky Lynx, I'd say there would be no issue there either. I am curious to see what Hasbro does with his name, seeing as "Death"-anything is generally off the cards for character names in Western markets. He was listed as "unknown evil" on the POTP poll, so maybe they didn't know yet what he should be called.
    I would buy a CHUG Deathsaurus in a heartbeat! We already have RM and MP Star Sabre, but we don't have a post-G1 version of Deathsaurus (other than the redeco of Gigatron I think). They could easily work around the name thing like calling him "Darksaurus" or whatever (although Hasbro's gotten away with selling a toy called Death's Head, so... <shrug>).

Thunderwing

Though possibly better for leader class, Thunderwing is generally recognisable by fans and has a cool design. The Commander class could potentially let us see both his inner robot get a figure, as well as the larger more iconic Pretender shell. Also featured on the POTP poll. Repaint potential for Black Shadow.

I think this concept of the Commander class having both the inner robot and shell getting detailed full figures (albeit both smaller than a full commander like Jetfire obviously) could also work for Bludgeon, another recognisable late G1 character.
    On one hand I'm surprised that Titans Return Black Shadow was never redecoed as Thunderwing, but on the other hand I'm not surprised at all given how that toy shelfwarmed. :/

Thunderclash

Thunderclash is another great option considering his (somewhat) recent IDW fame. His truck trailer base mode especially in the current Micromaster focus of WFC would be great for Commander class, along with a robot mode that isn't enormous- possibly voyager to leader-sized.
    I wonder, again for commercial reasons, if it'd be more viable for Hasbro to sell this in the common market as Machine Wars Optimus Prime and then do Thunder Clash as something like a Pulse exclusive.

The purple griffin in all honesty wouldn't be a terrible idea for a relatively simple Selects figure. Slap a new head on there, make a Decepticon character profile and personality, it would be a cool little nod to the fans like some of the eHobby G1 repaints they did in the early 2000s. The berry purple would make for a nice funky shuttle mode too.
    They could pre-tool it to be a shared design/mould with a CHUG BM Silverbolt.

Deathsaurus/Dezarus

There is a rumour that HasTak is already doing a remould of Earthrise Doubledealer as Deathsaurus.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    As a kid I used to think that holographic robot's name was "Meteor-One."
    Do you remember why, or is it just one of those inexplicable kid things?

Someone on Twitter mentioned Commander Class Armada Prime and honestly, I kinda want it even though it probably doesn't fit the theme at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    Someone on Twitter mentioned Commander Class Armada Prime and honestly, I kinda want it even though it probably doesn't fit the theme at all.
    Whatever happened to that Armada Prime Takara was showing off?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Whatever happened to that Armada Prime Takara was showing off?
    Their last statement on it that I'm aware of is they weren't sure where to put it (Generations, Masterpiece or something else). Commander class might give it room to have an articulated power pants mode. I'd be open to it if it happened.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

We did get Cybertron Optimus in Siege so it wouldn't be that weird in WFC, would it? If they made an Armada Jetfire that combined with it, I'd buy both immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Do you remember why, or is it just one of those inexplicable kid things?
    I think I misheard and totally misunderstood the words "Little one."

"Nothing defeats the Devastator. Nothing."
    "Nothing, little one? Ah-hahahahaha!"

I thought he was saying, "Nothing," and then introducing himself as "Meteor-One."
    I also misheard Shockwave's name as "Sharkwave" (and it still sounds like that to me!) - I was confused by the American pronunciation of "shock" which sounds like how we Aussies say "shark." But I knew it was Shockwave thanks to the comics, but yeah... at first I was wondering why the cartoon was calling Shockwave "Sharkwave" (similar to how they called Jetfire "Skyfire") - was it a name variation?

If the next part of the series' trilogy is a Beast Wars crossover, maybe the next Commander could be Tigerhawk?