Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers crossover Topgun toy Maverick

Default Transformers crossover Topgun toy Maverick

Another Transformers crossover toy has been revealed by Hasbro on facebook, this time it is a crossover with the Topgun movie.

It will be a F-14 Tomcat fighter jet called Maverick.
    It comes with a volleyball accessory and two alternate hands just for holding (plugging into) the volleyball.
    It also comes with a mini motorcycle, to replicate the one that Maverick was riding in the first movie as an F-14 was taking off... but this motorcycle doesn't have a rider on it.

The toy will be released in America in October for US$50 (people over there can start pre-ordering it from the Hasbro Pulse site). The filenames of some of the official images have "SDCC" in them, so this was probably meant to be one of the SDCC exclusives this year to coincide with the release of the movie in theatres, but since the movie was pushed back to December, this toy was probably pushed back as well.

This toy was on the release schedule for Australia, but after the Topgun movie and toy were pushed back, it's release status here remains unconfirmed at this time, and we will find out later if it is to still be coming here.

Some extra images and press release info can be seen here.

Worlds collide in this TRANSFORMERS-Top Gun mash-up pack! The iconic Grumman F-14 Tomcat jet from the original Top Gun film is now a TRANSFORMERS robot, called MAVERICK (not to be confused with that other guy)! And who makes a better wingman than a TRANSFORMERS robot? MAVERICK stands at 7 inches in robot mode, can convert from robot to classic Grumman F-14 Tomcat jet mode in 25 steps. He includes a screen-inspired miniature motorcycle accessory and 2 alternate hands that can hold the included volleyball accessory. This bot is always ready to go vertical in jet mode or dominate a slow-mo volleyball montage in robot mode. This Maverick robot figure also features folding jet wings, movie-inspired details, including a helmet design inspired by the 2020 Top Gun: Maverick film, and includes 4 missile accessories that can be mounted on figure’s arms in robot mode and under wings in jet mode. Even the packaging is inspired by the aircraft carrier!

Feel the need… the need for speed! Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS) and Paramount Pictures today revealed the first-ever TRANSFORMERS-Top Gun collaboration, starring the all new character MAVERICK. Not to be confused with Captain Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, this new TRANSFORMERS robot makes an ideal wingman, taking form as the iconic Northrop Grumman F-14 Tomcat® jet from the original Top Gun film. This nostalgic Top Gun mash-up MAVERICK robot marks a celebratory moment ahead of the highly anticipated sequel to the iconic original film, Top Gun: Maverick, releasing December 23, 2020.

After more than thirty years of service as one of the Navy’s top aviators, Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Tom Cruise) is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. When he finds himself training a detachment of Top Gun graduates for a specialized mission the likes of which no living pilot has ever seen, Maverick encounters Lt. Bradley Bradshaw (Miles Teller), call sign: “Rooster,” the son of Maverick’s late friend and Radar Intercept Officer Lt. Nick Bradshaw, aka “Goose.” Facing an uncertain future and confronting the ghosts of his past, Maverick is drawn into a confrontation with his own deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who will be chosen to fly it.

TRANSFORMERS Autobot MAVERICK stands at 7 inches in robot mode and can convert from robot to classic Northrop Grumman F-14 Tomcat® jet mode in 25 steps (The F-14 Tomcat is a registered trademark of Northrop Grumman, and is used under license). He includes a screen-inspired miniature motorcycle accessory and 2 alternate hands that can hold the included volleyball accessory. This bot is always ready to go vertical in jet mode or dominate a slow-mo volleyball montage in robot mode. This MAVERICK robot figure also features folding jet wings, movie-inspired details, including a helmet design inspired by the 2020 Top Gun: Maverick film, and includes 4 missile accessories that can be mounted on figure’s arms in robot mode and under wings in jet mode. Even the packaging is inspired by the aircraft carrier!
    Last edited by griffin; 14th July 2020 at 04:53 PM.

It doesn’t look too shabby. But a bit more colour variation wouldn’t go astray.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    a bit more colour variation wouldn’t go astray.
    Agreed, for the bot mode anyway. Jet mode looks pretty sweet.
    Looks like an entirely new mould too. I could see it getting reused as a G2 Cyberjet down the track.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    It doesn’t look too shabby. But a bit more colour variation wouldn’t go astray.
    Fer sure, I very much doubt anyone would let a rusty aeroplane ino the sky. The volleyball accessory is cute though and (assuming they haven'T propped it up) it looks pretty sturdy.

Yah, most of the bot mode is tucked away underneath/inside, so a splash of paint wouldnt have hurt anyone.

I want to like this bit it just seems kind of off.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Wow, this was much more of a stealth drop compared to Gigawatt's announcement but it had been leaked already.

Looks ok. Could definitely use more paint. Think my biggest disappointment is the missiles aren't detachable. Wouldn't go out of my way to import it unlike the past 2 collabs but if it's out here and not too pricey, I'll almost definitely get it.

What? No gerwalk mode?

I guess I'm not the target audience for this Transformer. I really don't like him at all.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

(added the images, and official info to first post)

I have to echo other people's comments that the robot mode should have had some colour, especially since the robot parts are hidden under the jet, so it wouldn't ruin the jet mode having some contrasting colours to the off-white jet mode. It just looks a little boring.
    With Gigawatt having that awful windscreen, and Maverick lacking colour... Ectotron remains a class above these other crossover toys.

Nice to see that this one is officially licensed from the aircraft maker. I don't think Hasbro did that with Gigawatt though.

I think the motorcycle not having a rider on it, makes it pointless.

My first thought when I saw it's robot mode, was Gen2 Cyberjet. The arms and legs (and the way it poses) look so similar, it's almost like the Hasbro person who drew up the concept sketches for this toy, just grabbed a couple of Cyberjets and copied them.
    Just looking at the Generations book, Hooligan has a similar jet form as an F-14.

The back of the box says it's Mission Codename is Tango Foxtron.
    I thought at first that it was meant to be the NATO phonetic alphabet for "Transformers", but that would be Tango Foxtrot. Unless it is meant to sound like a robot name for the mission name.