Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Series Review: Transformers War For Cybertron (Netflix) - SPOILERS

Default Netflix Siege Cartoon - reviews Spoilers

Watching the cartoon. Didnt know how id feel about the animation but im enjoying it. Id rate it 8/10.

Jetfire reminds me of dinobot. More later once i digest it all.

Its been released on netflix now.

Yes! I know what I'm doing tonight.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Default Series Review: Transformers War For Cybertron (Netflix) - SPOILERS

WARNING: THIS REVIEW THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE NETFLIX TRANSFORMERS WAR FOR CYBERTRON TV SERIES

SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE

My thoughts...
    • The animation is mostly fairly good. It's done by the same Japanese animation studio who animated Transformers Prime and Robots In Disguise (2015-17), but I suspect it may have been done on a smaller budget. The main thing that bugs me about the animation are the "soft bellies."

• The animation models are toy-accurate to a fault! They even have the blast-effects pegs and 5mm weapon ports! I love me some toy-accuracy, but this seems a bit much. Still, I'd rather have more than less. Now nobody can whinge about how the toys don't look like the show I wonder if the animators used 3D scans of the toys to base their animation models on. If so, then I think that this would be the second time that a Transformers series has done this (the first being Beast Wars).

• I liked Bumblebee's journey. He's much like what Wheelie is supposed to be like in G1! (although the Sunbow cartoon totally dropped the ball on that) and we see his journey towards becoming an Autobot. The Ultra Magnus Protocols thing seemed to be kinda pointless (other than a plot device to find the 1D12 MacGuffin)

• The other Autobots were pretty mundane as characters. I actually found that the Decepticons had better characterisation than the Autobots. Impactor and Jetfire deal with leaving the Decepticons as they realise that the cause that they used to fight for is no longer what they signed up for. Starscream's journey of ambition leading him to earning his command of the Seekers. Megatron being forced to further compromise his morals in the justification of ending the war (I liked how the killing of Ultra Magnus wasn't just a plot device but also a major turning point sealing Megatron's descent into amorality).

• Heh, I liked the spin that they put on Soundblaster and his splinter faction. He even sounds better than Soundwave.

• The voices are a mixed bag. I think that in an attempt to make them sound more robotic, some of these characters end up sounding like they're speaking inside a tin can, particularly Optimus Prime and Jetfire.

• I love how Mirage is finally seen using his electro disrupter powers as it's originally meant to be (as described by his original 1984 bio)! He doesn't become invisible, he creates illusions - he creates mirages! That's why he's called Mirage and not Chameleon! His "bunshin" tactic was also cool, and I liked how they showed how generating these illusions are also physically taxing for him (also accurate to his G1 bio).

• Some nice Easter Eggs with the repainted Gumbies - I saw a red Bumblebee (not Cliffjumper), a Sideswipe model painted like Deepcover, and another Sideswipe model painted in Sideswipe's G2 GoBot colours.

• The overall story doesn't seem all that fresh to me. It mostly seems to be stuff borrowed from what we've seen in the IDW comics and the Aligned Continuity. :/

• English is demonstrably not the writer's first language

• How did Omega Supreme end up beneath the Ark?!? (and without anyone noticing??)

• I like the way that they showed Elita-1 opting to stay behind to continue to fight Megatron's forces, as opposed to the G1 cartoon where she pretty much just missed the bus

• I don't find this Optimus Prime to be a likeable character. He's by no means evil, but I just don't find him to be likeable. He seems to be more emotional and prone to bursts of rage - which is very different from the "be strong enough to be gentle" standard set by Peter Cullen. He's not a badly written Optimus Prime, but I'm not fond of the way that he's portrayed by the voice actor. He sometimes come across as an angry kid (kinda like Anakin Skywalker from the prequels). This might make more sense if he were meant to be a younger Optimus Prime or Orion Pax but... he's not. He's already carrying the Matrix.

• At some points of the story it felt like the writer forgot that the Transformers can... transform. There were a fair few characters who just never transformed. Did any of the Refraktors ever transform? Bumblebee, Arcee and Cog are running from Soundblaster's crew -- running? They have wheels! Okay, I understanding using that conveniently located hovercar to getaway after Bumblebee shut down, but before then you'd think that they'd be rolling.

• There was at least one moment where the writer forgot that these robots aren't humans and aren't meant to be speaking English. A very common mistake with TF writers (even IDW frequently makes this mistake). Bob Budiansky was one of the better writers who made an effort to portray the Transformers as otherworldly. I understand the need to make them relatable to a human audience, but scifi/fantasy writers dealing with non-human species always need to be careful not to make them unrealistically too human.

• Cog's moment to shine, boiz! I did like how they found a way to wedge in Cog's Weaponiser mode during the Energon theft. Cheesy, but cool.

• I like how they maintained visual continuity by keeping Bumblebee without a logo and keeping the Decepticon logo on Jetfire's chest, as there were no points in the story where they would've had time to add/change logos.

• I wonder if the bomb implanted in Jetfire's head is removable or not

• Decepticon-disguise Mirage could've been his Diaclone red colours (with accurate yellow eyes)

Overall Thoughts: It's just okay. This mini-series has its moments but it doesn't seem to offer anything really fresh or groundbreaking story-wise. Most of the things that we see in this series are things that we've seen before in other continuities. It's not like say Beast Wars or the IDW comics which shook things up and brought something new to the table by doing things that had never been done before. Overall it's a very safe series by giving fans what they want (much like the Solo movie); so if that's your sort of jam then you'll be in for a treat, but don't expect anything terribly new.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 30th July 2020 at 08:26 PM.

It wasn't the disaster that the Prime Wars trilogy was but personally, I'm kind of over this story being presented over and over again. It's like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man, we know this story.

My main takeaway from watching it: a good toy commercial that’s 18 months too late for the toyline it’s selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    My main takeaway from watching it: a good toy commercial that’s 18 months too late for the toyline it’s selling.
    Exactly.

It's kinda sold me on trying to still get Siege Ratchet at least.

Good show for what it is. Haven't seen the prime wars trilogy so can't compare that.

Also whats up with how big Astrotrain is??

Quote Originally Posted by Gehirn View Post
    Also whats up with how big Astrotrain is??
    Guess they don’t want mass shifting? Also I think it solves the second spoiler leader box right?

I was also really surprised there were no battlemasters anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The animation models are toy-accurate to a fault! They even have the blast-effects pegs and 5mm weapon ports! I love me some toy-accuracy, but this seems a bit much. Still, I'd rather have more than less. Now nobody can whinge about how the toys don't look like the show I wonder if the animators used 3D scans of the toys to base their animation models on. If so, then I think that this would be the second time that a Transformers series has done this (the first being Beast Wars).[/list]
    I recall hearing in an interview that they using the CAD files for the toys as a starting (and apparently ending?) point.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.