View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 73.33%
  • Only if cheap

1 6.67%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

1 6.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

2 13.33%

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Scorponok

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Earthrise Scorponok

SCORPONOK
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - War For Cybertron
    Sub-sub-line - Earthrise
    Size/class - Titan
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $250~290
    Approximate Size - 55cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Headmaster
    Human Component - Lord Zarak
    Alt-mode - robotic scorpion, city
    Main Features/Gimmicks - It's forking Scorponok
    Main Colours - green, purple
    Main Accessories - x2 dual cannons, Zarak shield, leg shields, "Mega Zarak" Headmaster unit

Finally got this guy a couple of days ago.

Compared to Fort Max, who was a bit lackluster....what a great update! Most of what this guy has going against him is due to the constraints of what the original G1 toy did.

I just wish it had more accessories - another set of blasters, and some extra knick-knacks for the city mode would help a lot. The city mode in particular comes across more as a 'throne' platform - without the throne - than an actual city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Finally got this guy a couple of days ago.

Compared to Fort Max, who was a bit lackluster....what a great update! Most of what this guy has going against him is due to the constraints of what the original G1 toy did.
    I think Fort Max's biggets problem was he was based on Metroplex. Poor guy

I got mine delivered on the weekend, but he's going under the Christmas tree. I did crack it open for QC check and he was fine. Nice looking toy. The box looks pretty huge, but thin as well. Very nice artwork.

Can't wait for Christmas now !

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I think Fort Max's biggets problem was he was based on Metroplex. Poor guy
    Definitely... the newer Fort Max (in bot mode) is still an impressive display piece and looks like a nice modern update with modern proportions when standing side by side next to the old Fort Max. However, if you've already owned or handled Metroplex then it is very difficult to ignore the amount of parts re-used. The huge size probably helped to "magnify" such feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Definitely... the newer Fort Max (in bot mode) is still an impressive display piece and looks like a nice modern update with modern proportions when standing side by side next to the old Fort Max. However, if you've already owned or handled Metroplex then it is very difficult to ignore the amount of parts re-used. The huge size probably helped to "magnify" such feelings.
    I think if they'd done a bit more to give Mx a bit more verticality, he'd be more like his old self than a Metro-knockoff.

Onto Scorpy here.
    HWAT a sexy boy! Nice poseability, good balance, surprisingly tough ankles. Cool robot mode.
    Big bot is juts heaps of fun.
    Scorpion mode is pretty nifty and looks the part.
    Base mode is...adequate (?) .. I guess. Lack accessories to really make him shine. The usage of the guns to connect to the small shield bits on the arms is a waste if you ask me. The shiled bits can connct without the guns, so I prefer to have the guns somewhere else. IT can looks pretty good with enough accessories and stuff plonked on it.
    Kind of sad that we are this far into the Earthrise line and Scorpy's base mode only has two connection points for other bases. There are purple panels that fold down and become floor... why don't they have the connection joint? It wouldn't have cost anything to do this and would allow one to spread the surface are out front a bit better.

Zarak (deluxe robot) is a nice addition. Colours looks great and they've done a nice job of making it look like the cartoon robot. I like the additional little touches he has like the "Wrist" blaster things which fold out of the helmet.Theses are moulded into the G1 HM armsand completely superfluous to the robot, but they are here and I like that. He has little jet boosters moulded into his feet as well, another nice touch, and if you look at the soles of his feet, you can see they went to the effort of finishing the nozzle. Again, doesn't add anything, but makes it looks better.
    He also manages to look like an "Emperor of Destruction" as well. Nice and mean, slightly arrogant and in charge. I gave him a little pistol as he is gunless otherwise, but then took it away because he would always have a lacky nearby to do the shooting for him.

So int he end, a great toy. Good fun, decent enough in all modes, but definitely lack accessories. If he had a bunch of stuff, he'd be awesome. As it is, he's just great.

Now waiting to see how well his little pal integrates with him.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Just got mine. USPS had opened him so the box is trashed and stuff floating around in the box which is a shame. However the figure doesn't seem damaged.

Where/how does this piece go? I don't see it shown on the instructions?