Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transformers Vintage Reissues returning to Kmart

Unfortunately a lot of those 40 year old moulds no longer exist.

When I was at the Kmart at Logan Hyperdome in Brisbane last week, they had 12 of the Reissue Optimus toys (without any damaging security strapping), so I had a fair few to choose from to find the best one... which wasn't as easy as I was hoping, as every single one had some sort of dent or scrape on the box somewhere, which mean none of the 12 were "mint"... but after about 10 minutes of comparing which scrape or dent was smallest (or less obvious), I came away with one.... and found something interesting in the process - some of the boxes were noticeably darker than others, and they had different production date stamps on them (I'm not sure if the date stamp has anything to do with the packaging though, as the boxes would have done all at once, while the production date stamps are just the day of when the toy is put together and into packaging).

I preferred the look of the darker version, as the blacks and reds were nicer (the lighter boxes looked faded).

These are some photos, which to my eyes, was able to pick up the different shading of the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    When I was at the Kmart at Logan Hyperdome in Brisbane last week, they had 12 of the Reissue Optimus toys (without any damaging security strapping), so I had a fair few to choose from to find the best one... which wasn't as easy as I was hoping, as every single one had some sort of dent or scrape on the box somewhere, which mean none of the 12 were "mint"... but after about 10 minutes of comparing which scrape or dent was smallest (or less obvious), I came away with one.... and found something interesting in the process - some of the boxes were noticeably darker than others, and they had different production date stamps on them (I'm not sure if the date stamp has anything to do with the packaging though, as the boxes would have done all at once, while the production date stamps are just the day of when the toy is put together and into packaging).

I preferred the look of the darker version, as the blacks and reds were nicer (the lighter boxes looked faded).

These are some photos, which to my eyes, was able to pick up the different shading of the boxes.
    My parents bought me one from a TRU when they were travelling in Asia in April last year (so it would be a 2018/2019 production). I did notice that the paper stock used on my 2018/2019 box (stamp 91111) was the same type used on other mass retail releases such as Generations Siege and Studio Series, i.e. thinner, more flimsy and less glossy when compared to older Japanese or Hasbro reissues in the past.

I was interested in whether the current ones that we're now getting in Australia have the same or different paper stock. I saw some at a local Kmart a few days ago and could tell that these new ones are not really different from the 2018/2019 ones (in terms of paper stock only). I could not tell whether the 2018/2019 box was lighter or darker in terms of colour without having them side by side.

One post on TFW says that this is how you read the date stamps on the packaging...

First digit is the year (which means, you won't know the decade... and if identical packaging is still being used for more than 10 years (which is unlikely, as a reissue will change something on the box), you won't know which decade it was made in).

Then the middle 3 digits is the day in that year it was produced (I still don't know if that just means the day of boxing up the contents, as the contents themselves could have been moulded or constructed at any time before they are boxed up).

The final digit is said to be the location, if there is more than one factory producing a particular product (which is unlikely to be anything other than 1 for Transformers, as more moulds and locations would be very expensive, particularly with all Transformers toys being such one-off limited release these days, even the regular figures, that only get released for one or two waves now).

So, the two Optimus boxes that I found, were produced (or just boxed) 20 days apart, on August 21st and September 10th in 2019. (that means they've been sitting around for a year before they were in Kmart stores here)

While the one with 91111 has a date of April 21st 2019... so they made a few batches of these, probably for different markets.

My box has 92481.

So my Detective Conan deduction reasoning is that the one I have was made 6th September 2019.

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

Interesting. Good to know the meaning behind the stamp