Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDW Beast Wars comic for 2021

Default IDW Beast Wars comic for 2021

For the 25th anniversary of Beast Wars next year, IDW have announced that they will be doing a Beast Wars comic, which comes out in February.
    It is listed as a Series, so shouldn't be a mini-series.

The new series will be written by Erik Burnham (Transformers/Ghostbusters) with longtime Transformers artist Josh Burcham on board to illustrate.

It'll be interesting to see what universe it is set in. The last series was a time shunted razorbeast sent back to the show timeline... I.hope it isnt too closely related to the snooze factory of the current ongoing.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I would like to see a "new" take, based on the setting of the original biocards (set in the present day).
    Last edited by griffin; 15th January 2021 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I would like to see a "new" take, based on the setting of the original brocade (set in the present day).
    So the plot of the original G1 but beast modes instead? That would be very interesting. I'd love a spoof/what if mini series with issues featuring PETA, Seaworld and dopey game hunters..

With additions to the cast and a time machine mcguffin, new settings and time periods could be on the slate.

As the Beast Wars comic is soon to be released (in February), IDW have been noting that there will be a number of new (original) characters showing up in their BW story... including another snapping turtle called Skold (could probably be a purple/black redeco of the Snapper toy, if Hasbro still had the mould).

The first issue of the new Beast Wars comic must be out this week, as a preview has been released (mirrored here).
    The writer has also noted that this comic is unrelated to previous Beast Wars comics, and he's keeping quiet on when or where this comic is set, so you'll have to find out for yourself.

Both teams start out the same as in the Cartoon, but with one extra team-member each...

Maximals:
    • Optimus Primal – Captain of the Axalon. One of the Maximal warrior class.
    • Nyx – Ace pilot. Loves flying more than anything.
    • Rattrap – Data Analyst/Scrounger. Thinks he should be in charge. Of what, well, he's not picky.
    • Cheetor – A former athlete that wanted to see what was in the wider universe and joined the Axalon's crew.
    • Rhinox – Lead Scientist. As smart as he is tough (and he's very, very tough.)

Predacons:
    • Megatron – Commander. Wants to overthrow the Maximals and Predacons governing Cybertron. Can be impulsive.
    • Tarantulas – Mad scientist. Lover of chaos. Possibly a cannibal.
    • Scorponok – True-Blue Predacon believer. He is all-in for the glory of the cause of Predacon supremacy.
    • Waspinator – Good pilot, but also kind of unlucky.
    • Terrorsaur – A bully, and possibly even more cruel than Megatron himself. No one really likes him, but he's handy in a fight.
    • Skold – A tank of a fighter, Skold is looking for acceptance and thinks the separatists will provide it. She's loyal to Megatron.
    • Dinobot – A pure warrior that has been convinced that the Maximal/Predacon dynamic needs to be shaken up. In the show, folks know he starts as a Predacon before switching sides.

So it really was just a rehash of the original show pilot episode with a few tweaks and a bonus crew member.

Still the first.comic I've bought since the G1 reboot! I hope they mix it up a bit more in the following issues. I'm sure they've got some clever twists coming up.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Was an interesting read. Was waiting at every new page for it to lose me (Beast Wars is very much Not My Thing). Didn't happen. Almost did with the silly synthetic-flesh-protects-from-radiation / energon-magically-freezes stasis-locks-transformers thing, but fortunately this isn't the first time I've encountered that silliness (hello Spotlight Shockwave!).

Am surprised by how much I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It is listed as a Series, so shouldn't be a mini-series.
    Looks like it is going to be limited to 12 issues.
    Not sure if that was the original plan, or if the early sales and pre-sales forced IDW to wrap it up at the end of its first story arc (which will end up being in 2 TPBs).