Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Photos of Studio Series 86 Hotrod and Jazz Revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    It's more concerning that this is the second Jazz figure that has had this sort of crap happen to and seeing as G1 Jazz is coded as a POC it's disrespectful to the character of Jazz and the voice actor Scatman Crothers.
    I don?t even thing you need to be a person of colour to find white superemist sayings offensive, and you also raise a good point about the late Scatman Carothers.
    These characters mean something to us, or else they wouldn?t still be selling nearly three and half decades later.

I had absolutely no idea about the ethnicity of Jazz?s voice actor growing up. I just *loved* the voice, and thought Jazz was just the coolest of all the Autobots. There were some I liked more, but he was ?cool?, and he genuinely loved Earth music. It?s only later as an adult I found out Scatman had passed on, but he would definitely have been a voice actor I would want to have met. And so I think its understandable to feel protective towards the character, and his image.

So to have this stuff pulled twice now on a Jazz release angers me. We know that the first was intentional and put in by a rogue employee, and that they had to do a running change to the paint apps. I can?t see why they can?t do the same if this was genuinely unintentional.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I hate that I dislike G1, yet absolutely adore these.
    Damn you, Hasbro. You win this round.
    It's more the fact these figures have the articulation that the actual G1 toys are lacking. My first ever transformer was G1 chromedome when I was a kid. Now I have have Maketoys Cupola which is soo much better.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    So to have this stuff pulled twice now on a Jazz release angers me. We know that the first was intentional and put in by a rogue employee, and that they had to do a running change to the paint apps. I can?t see why they can?t do the same if this was genuinely unintentional.
    I like to believe it's unintentional, I was only aware of 14 being a hate symbol as of today but to have it happen twice to the same character has me concerned. At the same time it's obscure enough that the design and legal team gave it the thumbs up.

Otherwise you've got to face the uncomfortable truth that someone on the transformers team is a racist.

What's that saying about malice and incomptence?

I bet it was something like:

Hasbro lawyer: Porsche might sue us if we don't change the deco a bit more, so change something.

Hasbro designer: I guess I'll put a 1 in front of the 4.

Hasbro lawyer: That's good, you can start producing the figures.

Months later...

Observent person on the internet: Hey Hasbro, you know you put a white supremisist reference on a black character?

Hasbro lawyer: Oh ****! Well I guess I better find another job.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Hard to make a call on the number thing. Given the big POTP fiasco, it honestly wouldn't surprise me and I don't think many of the concerns are unsubstantiated. Given the adherence to accuracy in this line and the presence of the number 4 on every other G1 based Jazz before this one, it's quite odd that they would suddenly deviate randomly like this. Maybe flew under the radar.

Regardless, Hot Rod and Jazz look fantastic and faithful to their medium. Very pleased.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post

Hasbro lawyer: Porsche might sue us if we don't change the deco a bit more, so change something.

Months later...

Observent person on the internet: Hey Hasbro, you know you put a white supremisist reference on a black character?

I doubt someone will loose their job.

The Fan First Friday did the full reveal of the Studio Series 86 they all look great, the Wheelie that comes with Grimlock doesn't transform so you'll have to hold on to your TR version. A better look at the figures here.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post

Months later...

Those who have been around for a while might remember the Collector Club wanting to call their first Combiner toy "Nexus Maximus" back in 2009, and the people at Hasbro who approve the names on their licensed products didn't know that it was a name for a particular sex toy... which kinda reassures you that most of the people at a kids toy company are not a bunch of perverts (or racists) to not catch these things... either accidentally (like the Club toy) or the intentionally by one person (the POTP Jazz toy).
    Until Hasbro comes out and says anything about it, like they did for the other two, there is no way of being able to confidently pin this one on being intentional or accidental.
    It's actually more annoying for any purist fans to have the number changed at all, without there being a legal (licensing) reason for the change.

From the fan first presentation, Jazz’s diaclone toy was number 14 in that line - which is what this number is intended to reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    From the fan first presentation, Jazz’s diaclone toy was number 14 in that line - which is what this number is intended to reference.
    I firmly believe it was a mistake. As I said, I only learnt the 14 was also a hate symbol yesterday. It's obscure, the people at Hasbro are only human and they've got other brands besides Transformers to look after as well.