View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

1 11.11%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

4 44.44%

Thread: Toy Review - SUPER MEGATRON (Generations Select)

Default Toy Review - SUPER MEGATRON (Generations Select)

スーパーメガトロン
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Selects
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Retool of Titans Return Galvatron
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Oct 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - $110 @ Zing, 6000JPY ($80) @ TakaraTOMY Mall
    Approximate Size - 12.5cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - star fighter, tank, Ultra Megatron
    Main Features/Gimmicks - No longer being technically Obscure
    Main Colours - greys, red
    Main Accessories - fusion cannon, triple-barrelled cannon, Titan Master

Massive improvement over TR Galvatron. The removal of that needless Headmaster gimmick has done wonders for this mould. They've also done an impressive job in retooling Galvatron to resemble both Super Megatron and Ultra Megatron - both designs that were originally created for the G1 manga and never intended to be physical toys (which often presents challenges in translating these designs as toys). The biggest departure from the G1 design is Super Megatron's alt mode which is now a star fighter instead of a flying space pistol, which objectively makes more sense because a flying gun is silly. Ultra Megatron's star fighter mode has been reimagined as a tank, which I'm also fine with as it gives the toy greater diversity (not much point in having two different star fighter modes).

The way that the chest and face swap around between Super and Ultra Megatron modes is pretty neat. They've used the same face-swap gimmick as first seen on MP3 Starscream. The chest on my Super Megatron doesn't clip in firmly for some reason, but it could just be on my figure. My Ultra Megatron's chest clips in just fine though.

Worth buying? Unless you really want a Super Megatron toy... probably not. This toy is 6000JPY ($80) at TakaraTOMY Mall before shipping - so after shipping it'd probably work out to be close to Zing's $110 price. Which is steep for a Voyager. So yeah, I'm voting on "Only if" you want a Super/Ultra Megatron toy. Still, I'm pretty stoked to see another Late G1 character being made into a CHUG toy. First we had TR Overlord, then LGEX Big Powered, then Gens Selects Rotorstorm, and now Gens Selects Super/Ultra Megatron! It's always good to see HasTak release CHUG toys from the Middle and Late G1 years (not just Early G1 redone over and over again).
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 18th October 2020 at 09:33 AM.

Cool, where did you get yours? I'm waiting for mine to show up at the local EB

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Cool, where did you get yours?
    Private seller

Okay here's my review of the figure now I've gotten a good grasp of him. I think Gok's photos do it more justice than I could so I'll just break it down with my opinions in prose

First Impressions
    Generations Selects Super Megatron arrives in a no-nonsense box with just the toy (in 'starfighter form') and instructions in Japanese.. That's it. No muss, no fuss. I'm fine with that though I have enjoyed the pack-in manga that used to come with Japanese exclusive figures.

I was initially worried about the build quality of the figure considering the hollow cost-cutting techniques they use these days when I saw some initial pictures and videos of him but I am impressed with the solidity and heft the figure has. Overall the joints are solid and he tabs pretty well (bar the tank treads but I'll get to that) and displays nicely in all modes. His paint applications are very striking and he has a good palette which makes him distinctively stand out no matter what mode he is in with his base grey, dark grey and splashes of red (with a bit of yellow thrown in for the starfighters cockpit and fusion cannon internals)

Starfighter Alt Mode
    Probably the strongest of the two alt modes for me. Definitely Cybertronian looking and a very good design homage to the illustrations that the toy was based on. I can't quite get mine to balance 100% but the slight lean isn't too much of a drama for me. It tabs together well and all the integrated weaponry works nicely with the missile ports and massive nose gun up front. It also has a very "over the top" feel to it with exaggerated lines and what I refer to sometimes as "deliberate ridiculousness" that a lot of giant Japanese robot shows adhere to aesthetically. You can also feel how such a design may have influenced the Bayverse Movie Megatron design from the original Transformers live action movie (I must admit I haven't checked actual dating on the manga vs Bayverse movie, so the influence may actually be flipped)

Tank Alt Mode
    Probably the weakest overall for me of all the modes. Kinda feels like they rearranged a few bits and pieces in together, shoved a turret on top and called it a 'tank' because they knew they had to get a tank mode in there due to the Battlestars source material. The tank treads underneath the feet don't tab in for me and kinda just sit there; not a great deal as they are usually 'grounded' anyways but a little bit disappointing. The turret is comprised of the triple barrel battleship inspired tank gun which is hidden inside the starfighter nose. However when integrated into this mode the cannon barely tabs in and flops around in its turret.

I'm being a bit nitpicky probably; it LOOKS like a Cybertronian tank for all intents and purposes and again you can feel the Movieverse influence (whichever way that influence actually goes) this time with Revenge of the Fallen. Just not a mode I'll be displaying him in.

Super Megatron Robot Mode
    The first of his robot modes is definitely where I fell in love with this figure. Megatron with his stonking big fusion cannon strapped to his right arm, strolling through the battlefield like a boss, is the headcanon image that sold this figure for me. I'm not one for usually picking up 'mainline' figures so to have this iteration of Megs breaks out of that mold. While I never picked up the original Titans Return Galvatron mold of this extensive retool, the design changes they made and the base they used was a genius idea and the paint applications make him pop. He has a full range of solid ratchets and joints in his arms and legs along with decent swivel points which enables a good range of poseability.

Ultra Megatron Robot Mode
    With only a few minor integrated changes including a forehead flip and a torso flip, and you have yourself Ultra Megatron with his "shield" and triple barrel shoulder-mounted cannon. The torso flip is a really genius move that they could've easily left off and no one would've been any the wiser but the Ultra Megatron mode benefits all the more for it. The forehead flip is a tad fiddly due to clearance issues but it can be done with patience. He has the same range of articulation as before, just with a little more 'bling'.

Ultra Megatron Omega Robot Mode
    This mode is a 'simple' face swap on top of the Ultra Megatron transformation. I say that with a little bit of sarcasm as the face is in the same boat as the forehead flip in that it can get fiddly and requires patience. The new face is supposed to invoke both Dark Nova from the Battlestars story and also Movieverse Last Knight Megatron and you can again feel the influence.
    As there wasn't too much of a change apart from the face in this mode I wasn't planning to display him as such UNTIL....
    ("This isn't even my final form!")

Ultra Megatron Omega: Perfect Form Robot Mode
    A fresh batch of Transformers manga promoting God Neptune has revealed the "Perfect Form" of Ultra Megatron Omega and transforming him into this mode makes him somehow feel like an entirely new character for me. I didn't think I would enjoy this mode as more often than not, these additional modes which come out of Japan can look a little silly. Not so here! I actually fully enjoyed it and will display him this way in the future when I feel the need. His missile pods face up, his triple cannon is strapped to his back, and overall it feels like a fully formed robot mode and not kitbashed together by a fan.

Overall Final Thoughts
    I really like this figure despite a few alt mode gripes. He definitely feels like an over the top Japanese robot villain, all angles and lines and weapons everywhere while still being definitively Megatron. The build quality is solid, poseability is great and the paint application and palette invokes the Megatron aesthetic nicely. The face/forehead and torso swapping gimmicks are a very fresh way to give the figure a new look (and enable you to customise him how you want if you're that way inclined) as long as you take a bit of care and patience with the face. With integrated weapons and storage you can take Super Megatron anywhere with minimal risk of losing anything and still giving the figure accessories.

Selects Super Megatron is definitely a worthy addition to my collection and I can easily recommend him.
    Last edited by TaZZerath; 5th January 2021 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

I can't get the face to rotate around so I left it alone

I can't get the face to rotate around so I left it alone
    It works the same way as the face change gimmick on MP3, MP6 and MP7.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It works the same way as the face change gimmick on MP3, MP6 and MP7.
    Thanks but I'm talking about it being too tight so I just don't bother with it

Thanks but I'm talking about it being too tight so I just don't bother with it
    Little tip: there's actually a C-joint on Super Megs' 'sideburns'. Taking it out improves clearance immensely. Thanks to tfwiki for this knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    Little tip: there's actually a C-joint on Super Megs' 'sideburns'. Taking it out improves clearance immensely. Thanks to tfwiki for this knowledge!
    Thanks, it makes it easier but I hope repeated removal doesn't stress the clip