Thread: Toy Review - Back To The Future x Transformers Gigawatt

Default Toy Review - Back To The Future x Transformers Gigawatt

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Collaborative
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Heavy retool of Siege Sideswipe
    Wave - N/A
    Released here -
    Approximate Retail Price - $69 EB/Zing, $60 Amazon Australia, (both sold out)
    Approximate Size - 12.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Delorean time machine
    Main Features/Gimmicks - gull-wing doors, hover mode
    Main Colours - silver, grey, black
    Main Accessories - lightning rod, Mr Fusion, gun

As a kid I loved both BTTF and of course Transformers, and made a transforming time machine out of Lego at one point, so this collaboration is a dream come true for me.

Gigawatt is the second in Hasbro's new line of collaborative figures and offers more play value than Ectotron did, despite being a smaller size class.

The robot mode is a heavy retool of Siege Sideswipe, which is a very good base to start from. It still has all the same range of articulation as Sideswipe, aside from the head not being able to look up very well.

Not sure they've done the best job with the head sculpt, it's like they plonked Rung's specs onto Sideswipe's head. The flux capacitor in the chest with three dates that were visited in the films is great though.

The gun has two different configurations, depending on where you plug the Mr Fusion accessory. Plugging it into the back of the gun makes it harder (but not not impossible) to hold, so I go with plugging the Mr Fusion on top of the gun. The gun can also be stored underneath the front of the vehicle, which is a nice improvement over Sideswipe.

Speaking of the vehicle mode, what a glorious sight it is to see! They've moulded in a sort of "scratchy" detail which gives it the appearance of stainless steel. Initially I didn't think it was painted but there does appear to be a thin layer of silver which tops it off perfectly. This mode is just dripping in detail and it needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. Hasbro listened to the feedback of fans online and altered the windscreen to make it darker, which does the job nicely.

Included with the set is a lightning rod that can be plugged into the back of the vehicle, to recreate the end of the first movie. There is also a Mr Fusion accessory which plugs into a different port so you can have both at once (although doing this would be inaccurate to the films). Unfortunately, the Mr Fusion accessory doesn't plug in easily and takes a few goes to get it to stay in, at least for my copy.

In two moves that genuinely delighted and surprised me when this was initially revealed, they worked in functioning gull-wing doors and a freaking hover mode! These two features alone give the vehicle so much extra play value.

All in all, a very solid effort here, with my biggest complaint being the Mr Fusion piece not always clipping in. Otherwise, it transforms well, rolls well, looks spectacular and is most importantly fun!
    Bravo, Hasbro!
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Mine arrived on Friday. He is great. Soo glad they were able to change it to a darker windscreen

Whos the minicon?

Looks to be G1 Swindler who's also a Delorean

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Whos the minicon?
    lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    Looks to be G1 Swindler who's also a Delorean
    Correct.

I'd personally be more interested in this toy if it were Swindler. I mean, if Optimus Prime can be a My Little Pony, why can't Swindler by a DeLorean time machine? The blue helmet and amber face would also help to break up the silver. Having said that, the vehicle mode looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    lolz

Correct.

I'd personally be more interested in this toy if it were Swindler. I mean, if Optimus Prime can be a My Little Pony, why can't Swindler by a DeLorean time machine? The blue helmet and amber face would also help to break up the silver. Having said that, the vehicle mode looks really good!
    Hmm....I didn't have a lot of interest in this, but, now I'm tempted to get one to mod in to an updated Swindler that turns in to the time machine. A few splashes of blue would actually really fix what bugs me about this figure (the robot mode is so blaaand). The fact they've fixed the windscreen helps a lot too.

No joke, G1 Swindler was my #1 favourite transformer as a kid. I have no idea why.

Quick/crude mock up of Gigawatt if he were done in Swindler's colours. That and blue upper legs.

I'm glad they changed the window colours and we didnt have to wait for some toyhax stickers.

Had to choose between seven Gigawatts and thankfully I chose the one with the straightest lightning rod. Feel for anyone who had to choose between crooked lightning rods. Hope the boiling water sorted out the crooked rod issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    I'm glad they changed the window colours and we didnt have to wait for some toyhax stickers.
    My version has black tinted windows rather than pitch black. So it's still unsightly behind the windscreen.