Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Election

And it's over. Biden has been certified by the senate as the new president.

I couldn't believe it but I got a MAGA guy coming through my register at work today. He was spouting Trump propaganda. What made it even stranger is that he is an Asian guy that had a very thick Asian accent, exactly the type of guy Trump would want to be thrown in jail or worse for simply existing. I'm always amazed that there are MAGA people in Australia.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I just don't get how many millions of Americans were still voting for Republican candidates after everything that trump and his state & federal politician enablers have done to the country... I mean, how bad can they think Democrat politicians are for them to prefer someone as self-centred and attention-seeking as trump, to not just abstain from voting and risk having a Democrat win. Democrats are the ones promoting equality among races and genders, and advocates of social security (welfare support, better access to medical support, immigration support)... while Republicans have been caught rigging elections (limiting access by minorities & soliciting assistance from foreign adversarial powers), downplaying a virus that is estimated will kill half a million Americans by the time most people are vaccinated, and undermining efforts to bring racial equality to coloured people, who are targeted by police out in public for random stops, more than white people who make up a greater percentage of the population.
    Even though 82 million people voted for Biden, 75 million voted for trump... even if they didn't like him, they preferred a liar who puts himself before the nation, over a Democrat who is well known from his 40 years of politics to be bipartisan enough to put people & country before party. It's just crazy, to have people willing to sacrifice their country, just to keep out people who would actually be better for them (like the covid payments that Republicans help up for 9 months, and then refused to give out more money when the amount they settled on was considered insignificant and insulting).

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I'm always amazed that there are MAGA people in Australia.
    I have one at my work. He's always making fun of Biden when he's on the TV in the lunchroom (midday news) because he does a lot of pausing... mostly due to his stuttering, but it also means he's thinking about what he is saying instead of rambling off endless monotone dibble.
    The other day he was saying that the Democrats being in charge again will bring a lot more wars in the world, but the last two wars that the US declared on other nations were by Republican presidents, and Trump wanted to invade Iran just a couple months ago.
    He is also one who believes that covid is not a serious virus, but that everyone is over-exaggerating the deaths just to make money (hospitals, insurance, medicine/vaccine producers). Last week he claimed that only people who are deficient of vitamin D will catch Covid, and if they take Vitamin C they will be cured.

Mind you, he is a "flat earther"... so he believes a lot of conspiracy theories.

The republicans lost both senate run offs to the democrats. Now democrats control everything

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I have one at my work. He's always making fun of Biden when he's on the TV in the lunchroom (midday news) because he does a lot of pausing... mostly due to his stuttering, but it also means he's thinking about what he is saying instead of rambling off endless monotone dibble.
    The other day he was saying that the Democrats being in charge again will bring a lot more wars in the world, but the last two wars that the US declared on other nations were by Republican presidents, and Trump wanted to invade Iran just a couple months ago.
    He is also one who believes that covid is not a serious virus, but that everyone is over-exaggerating the deaths just to make money (hospitals, insurance, medicine/vaccine producers). Last week he claimed that only people who are deficient of vitamin D will catch Covid, and if they take Vitamin C they will be cured.

Mind you, he is a "flat earther"... so he believes a lot of conspiracy theories.
    That guy sounds like he'd be a complete knob.... i'd struggle to not call him out on his bullshit.

I'd call him out on it, even though I know I'd get in trouble because of our code of conduct

I can't stand him enough to be able to even look at him, let alone talk to him. I just have to tolerate his bs during the small overlap of our two shifts.

Excuse my ignorance (I dont follow World Politics) but what does Trump and/or his supporters hope to achieve with this course of action?
    Isnt he going to be frog marched out of there in 2 weeks anyway?

All the rioters are looking at 10 years in jail thanks to Trump himself. On the 27th of June, Trump signed an executive order making the penalty for vandalising government property a minimum of 10 years in jail.

They did what Trump wanted and now they are looking at losing 10 years of their life in a federal jail cell.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I couldn't believe it but I got a MAGA guy coming through my register at work today. He was spouting Trump propaganda. What made it even stranger is that he is an Asian guy that had a very thick Asian accent, exactly the type of guy Trump would want to be thrown in jail or worse for simply existing.
    Sometimes, these ethnic minority individuals living in Western democracies are strongly supportive of Trump because they adhere to a 'Jesus can save your soul, but only John Wayne can save your life' brand of Christianity. Sometimes, they believe that only the Trump administration is able to defeat the totalitarian regimes that these individuals escaped from.

You'll be surprised how high MAGA support is amongst older Vietnamese-Australians, or recent migrants from Hong Kong or Taiwan. A similar phenomenon in the US, where Trump is popular amongst some Latinos (e.g. Cuban-Americans). All these have an instinctive revulsion to anything that smacks of 'Communism'. They lean heavily to the right politically.

I was watching his speech at the white house to his crowd of supporters, telling them to walk to the capital building while it was in session (to validate biden's election win), and that he would walk with them to it... but then stayed at the white house so that he wouldn't be caught in the middle of it.