Thread: Wave 2 reissue Titans Return Headmasters

Default Wave 2 reissue Titans Return Headmasters

Wave 1 had four of the seven regular classic Headmaster characters - Hardhead, Chromedome, Brainstorm, Mindwipe.

As hoped, or expected, the other seven regular classic Headmaster characters (as Titans Return toys) are wave 2 - Highbrow, Weirdwolf, Skullcruncher.
    Similar to the first wave, these have some minor colour differences to their first release by Hasbro.

NOTE - Weirdwolf and Skullcruncher have their original 1980s names (the Titans Returns release had modified names... maybe they couldn't secure the names in time).

Official images have been mirrored here... and the links to their Walmart listings, for those who have access to it or have friends over there to help you get them.

Surprisingly, they are US$20 each, which is pretty good, as that's the current retail price of the Deluxe class over there, and these have big fancy (retro) packaging.

Ships June 1st 2021... so yet another pre-order listing of something that is a loooong way off, which can lead to a lot of pre-orders piling up to keep track of, or suddenly pay for if too many suddenly get released at once.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ... and these have big fancy (retro) packaging.
    Anyone knows whether these retro boxes are the same dimensions as the original G1 boxes? I can't find comparison photos online.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Anyone knows whether these retro boxes are the same dimensions as the original G1 boxes? I can't find comparison photos online.
    No unfortunately they aren't the same dimensions as original G1 boxes. I don't have any headmasters boxes to compare against, but are noticeably smaller than any of the other G1 toys I have. In fact I compared wave 1's figures to some other G1's I had, and they actually look pretty crappy next to them - like REALLY dodgy knockoffs. Smaller in height, narrower in depth, smaller in width. And the boxes just don't 'look' right - its hard to pin down exactly what, but they look like modern reproductions hence why I'm getting the KO vibe from them.

You have to remember though: The Titanmaster line is dramatically smaller in size to actual Headmasters, and need to factor that into consideration as well. A titanmaster pilot next to an actual headmaster pilot looks mini.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    No unfortunately they aren't the same dimensions as original G1 boxes.
    Thanks for the info. I was going to buy these retro boxes as a stand-in display for G1 deluxe Headmaters until/unless Takara or Hasbro reissues them, but won't do that now i know the new ones aren't the same size as the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    And the boxes just don't 'look' right - its hard to pin down exactly what, but they look like modern reproductions hence why I'm getting the KO vibe from them.
    Well, the TF font,logo and motto on the top flap on these Walmart exclusives are coloured and worded as per the 1984-86 boxes. The 1987 Headmasters era boxes used different colours and a different motto, 'more ... much more than meets the eye'.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Well, the TF font,logo and motto on the top flap on these Walmart exclusives are coloured and worded as per the 1984-86 boxes. The 1987 Headmasters era boxes used different colours and a different motto, 'more ... much more than meets the eye'.
    Yeah. I listen to Radio Free Cybertron and it's a bugbear of one of the hosts. These Retro Headmasters replicate the 1984-86 colour palette and design, rather than reflecting the actual design palette the original figures were released under. It's an alternative world where 1984 never ended! (Hang on, that sounds like Transformers design aesthetic for the last 10 years...)

What's the news on these coming to Australia? I really like the idea of grabbing them but I don't order from overseas much.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    It's an alternative world where 1984 never ended! (Hang on, that sounds like Transformers design aesthetic for the last 10 years...)
    That's the reason Titans Return was my favourite CHUG toyline over the past decade. The Headmasters got their own molds with the Headmaster gimmick and not being retools in most instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    What's the news on these coming to Australia? I really like the idea of grabbing them but I don't order from overseas much.
    I don't think we ever received confirmation either way whether local retail will stock them.
    I hope Kmart stocks them. Maybe seeing the vintage boxes in person would tempt me enough to buy them even though they aren't straight reissues of the OG.

The Retro Headmasters weren't on the list of expected upcoming toys for Australia last year, but a surprise today... we are supposed to be getting them. Both waves if there aren't any problems in the next few months.

The first wave of four (Chromedome, Hardhead, Brainstorm, Mindwipe) should be in Target by early March.
    The second wave of three (Highbrow, Skullcruncher, Weirdwolf) should be in Target in the second half of the year.

So it's a bit like the Buzzworthy Bumblebee toys... if you are willing to wait, the toys will be here 2-3 months after America and Asia. And if you aren't willing to wait, or fear missing out (or just don't have a Target handy... or expect Target prices to be shocking), import them when they get released overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The Retro Headmasters weren't on the list of expected upcoming toys for Australia last year, but a surprise today... we are supposed to be getting them. Both waves if there aren't any problems in the next few months.

The first wave of four (Chromedome, Hardhead, Brainstorm, Mindwipe) should be in Target by early March.
    The second wave of three (Highbrow, Skullcruncher, Weirdwolf) should be in Target in the second half of the year.
    That's fantastic news. I'm interested in Brainstorm and Skullcruncher, but really want to see them in hand before deciding whether to buy. Not keen on ordering these online because i am after minty fresh boxes and neither TFSource nor BBTS has them.