• Only if something else (specify)

1 3.33%
  • No

1 3.33%
  • Not even interested

2 6.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series 86 JAZZ

This was NOT on my radar at all. But it has really surprised me how much I dig it (based on photos and reviews - I've not found it in shops yet). Never managed to nab the RTS version, so I do need a Jazz in my collection.
    As Deano85 mentioned, some Tayhax labels is really going to bring this to life.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

I really like the look of this figure and will pick him up if i see him in the wild but i strongly agree with the majority of comments about reprolabels coming to the rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post

I was always wondering how well Jazz would fit in with the Earthrise figures, and these photos really help. Overall, the moulding seems to fit perfectly, but the paints are more pastel compared to the vibrant colours of the Earthrise / Netflix figures. and is a close but imperfect match.

Maybe the pastel colours are to get around copyright for the original paint job.

Love this jazz but I still love United jazz too. Only gripe is how the feet is displayed in car mode (same issue with earth mode iron hide which I didn?t get).

Really like this new Jazz. A funny little figure

Very simple figure that does what it needs to do - look fantastic in both modes. There's nothing fancy or surprising here (in fact I found it a little underwhelming at first). After mucking with it a bit I can say that its a neat, fun figure, bot mode poses very well, and I'm very pleased with it overall.
    Joints on mine were crazy tight. First transformation was downright scary. Couple transformations later its now fine.
    Only gripes -- few bits would have benefited from tabbing into place (backpack!), and the left knee on mine does not tab in at all (right one is fine tho).
    Pleased to finally have a Jazz!
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Well I finally have G1 Jazz in hand. I?ve always *loved* the G1 character, and was somewhat disappointed with the Reveal the Shield version released many years ago. Although it did have the right number, and won?t need a reprolabels to correct.

So given my love of the character, it was always going to be a low bar to pass for me to love the figure...... and yet...... Hasbro doesn?t fail to disappoint. I?m not good with camera skills to take a photo, but Kyle?s photo just above is perfect for illustrating.

My gripes

Compare G1 Jazz to Studio Series Jazz. Remember that its supposed to be movie accurate. In robot mode, he?s missing his doors (which I always used to think were little wings) which were prominent on the original toy. Yes technically its more animation accurate, but when you place the two toys side by side which I did tonight, you see it just doesn?t resemble the original toy much at all. If you?re going for animation accurate though, his blue visor is the wrong shade, as is the blue bonnets stripe. At least Reveal the Shield got the colours right.

In vehicle mode, there?s a stark discrepancy with the type and width of the rear spoiler. You can notice it when you compare G1 toy Jazz with this one, or when you look at footage of the cartoon. My guess is its all intentional, because they cheaped out and didn?t want to license the Porsche. For a Studio Series figure that?s disappointing.

These might seem like really minor nitpicking gripes. But I?d take G1 toy Jazz over this guy anyway. Maybe I?ll feel better once I?ve snickered him up but it doesn?t live up to my expectations. I?m so glad I was able to pick up a encore reissue of Jazz though, so I have a decent rendition of the beloved character.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Toyhax just tweeted the release of their sticker set for SS'86 Jazz

My guess is its all intentional, because they cheaped out and didn?t want to license the Porsche. For a Studio Series figure that?s disappointing.
    I love how you immediately assume it's Hasbro's fault, Porsche may not want sell the licence to Hasbro. Anyway, it doesn't matter, the toy has been released.