Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New G1 Masterpiece - MP53 SKIDS & MP54 Reboost

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    As a Skids owner and fan since 1986 this definitely appeals to me, and gives me hope he won’t be forgotten in WFC - he’s so far the only Autobot Car we haven’t got a toy of (as well as Tracks who all rumours say will be in Kingdom).
    I'm also hoping that this means that somewhere along the line (not toooooo far) we'll get a deluxe Skids. I mean, I'll buy the Thrilling 30 one if I have to, but I'd rather not.

I take a little objection to the comment that he didn’t get enough appearances in the comic - he was the main Autobot character for several months and one of the extremely few to get a solo story in the Marvel US comic. Of his fellow 1985 Cars, Inferno barely appeared at the end (when his Classics and Action Master toys appeared), Red Alert effectively did not appear, and Smokscreen maybe said four lines, and Tracks, Hoist and Grapple did not much better - good thing all of those guys got their spotlight cartoon eps. Poor Skids missing out on TV stardom.
    Yeah, never understood those who claimed he was obscure. And anyway, he isn't obscure any more, not after his run in the MTME/LL comics.

I remember when I skipped over this character when I was collecting the book style reissues and I?ll be doing the same again. I?ve got absolutely no interest in Skids.

I hope there?s another announcement soon. The glacial pace isn?t helping.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I'm also hoping that this means that somewhere along the line (not toooooo far) we'll get a deluxe Skids. I mean, I'll buy the Thrilling 30 one if I have to, but I'd rather not.

Yeah, never understood those who claimed he was obscure. And anyway, he isn't obscure any more, not after his run in the MTME/LL comics.
    As much as TF fans hate the Bayverse, let's not forget that ROTF also added to Skid's profile.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    As much as TF fans hate the Bayverse, let's not forget that ROTF also added to Skid's profile.
    Imagine if they announced the next MP was going to be Skids but were less specific and no image, and everyone assumed it was the G1 toy but it was an MPM Skids!

But still, Skids or Mudflap haven’t appeared in Studio Series despite 85 releases so someone at Hasbro must really not want to go there.

With Skids being my very first Transformer I have a special place in my heart for it so can't wait. Nice that we have another Diaclone car coming out.

My first comic was the Skids solo issue so this is a must buy for me.

I'm interested in what they mean by "hybrid" if it means toys more in the style of Inferno then I'm in, even though I never had Skids or remember him from the two episodes of the cartoon. (Marvel Skids is great, but not really what Masterpiece aims at)

The MP Autobot cars were just really cleverly designed toys that reasonably matched the cartoon appearance. If this Skids goes back to those roots, I'm very keen.

The side and back views are in the TFW2005 article.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Considering the transformation would be pretty simple (almost a shell-former by today's standards), I imagine that this one hadn't been done yet because it wasn't sporty enough or an iconic enough character (probably the least amount of screen/comic time of the second year Autobot cars).
    The artwork looks like they might be aiming more for a toy-homaged MP toy like the earlier MP toys... rather than cartoon-homaged MP toy like more recently, which probably would have been more difficult to design than a toy-homage figure.
    It seems a little weird that Skids is a release in the vein of the Lamborghini and Datsun moulds, which aren't given over to absolute accuracy to the Flory Dery character models the way later figures are.

Imagine if they announced the next MP was going to be Skids but were less specific and no image, and everyone assumed it was the G1 toy but it was an MPM Skids!

But still, Skids or Mudflap haven’t appeared in Studio Series despite 85 releases so someone at Hasbro must really not want to go there.
    There have been a few other movieverse characters that have yet to get Studio Series releases, like Jolt, the Fallen, RotF Sideswipe, and DotM Bumblebee. Mirage/Dino only got announced in November, and the figure is due out later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    There have been a few other movieverse characters that have yet to get Studio Series releases, like Jolt, the Fallen, RotF Sideswipe, and DotM Bumblebee. Mirage/Dino only got announced in November, and the figure is due out later this year.
    From that list they seem to have something against ROTF - or maybe because there's 8 Constructicon toys already from that film they want so spread things out a bit?

I assume that scale wise Skids and Mudflap (with their car modes) might be too small to sell as deluxes and they'd need to be a two pack Voyager (like Arcee being a deluxe price point for three small figures), and the Ice-Cream truck version of the pair would be similar, and given there's fewer Voyager spots to go around than Deluxe spots, that's holding them up.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I assume that scale wise Skids and Mudflap (with their car modes) might be too small to sell as deluxes and they'd need to be a two pack Voyager (like Arcee being a deluxe price point for three small figures), and the Ice-Cream truck version of the pair would be similar, and given there's fewer Voyager spots to go around than Deluxe spots, that's holding them up.
    Or maybe there just won't be a toy of those things, given the furor around their characterisations...