Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New G1 Masterpiece - MP53 SKIDS & MP54 Reboost

Default New G1 Masterpiece - MP53 SKIDS & MP54 Reboost

While I can't read it, I'm assured this is a genuine announcment of Masterpiece Skids!

I'm excited & keen for both Skids and the inevitable Crosscut!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Yes!!! Happy new year to me! My favourite 80s compact car and my first Diaclone toy. Curiously, the design reminds me more of early MP and Binaltech than recent G1 MPs. Can someone do a proper translation of the Japanese? Google Translate mentions 'hybrid version of MP', and i want to know what that means. Imagine if you could turn this G1-toy-looking MP into an animation-accurate version by adding panels and pieces that can stay on during transformation, like the MP BW Megatron. That would be nice. In which case, fans who are adamant about MP animation accuracy can be happy too since that wouldn't count as 'cheating' or parts-forming.
    Last edited by High_Q; 1st January 2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added comments
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

Won't grab Skids, but keen for Crosscut. Happy for Dirge and those who have been wanting it for some time now.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

About 2 years too late HasTak. My 3P Skids does me fine.

I named my car after Skids, so I'll probably grab either him or Crosscut (or both)
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Considering the transformation would be pretty simple (almost a shell-former by today's standards), I imagine that this one hadn't been done yet because it wasn't sporty enough or an iconic enough character (probably the least amount of screen/comic time of the second year Autobot cars).
    The artwork looks like they might be aiming more for a toy-homaged MP toy like the earlier MP toys... rather than cartoon-homaged MP toy like more recently, which probably would have been more difficult to design than a toy-homage figure.

A translation from tfw...

\ Masterpiece Skids / There are several new MP products scheduled to be released this year, one of which is “Skids”. With instinctive deformation and a wide range of movement, it is a new work that will be a hybrid version of MP these days! We will update the information from time to time so please look forward to it!

Skids cartoon model had hard to fathom arms (Cartoon or comic) so not going for 100% accuracy is not a bad thing.

As a Skids owner and fan since 1986 this definitely appeals to me, and gives me hope he won’t be forgotten in WFC - he’s so far the only Autobot Car we haven’t got a toy of (as well as Tracks who all rumours say will be in Kingdom).

I take a little objection to the comment that he didn’t get enough appearances in the comic - he was the main Autobot character for several months and one of the extremely few to get a solo story in the Marvel US comic. Of his fellow 1985 Cars, Inferno barely appeared at the end (when his Classics and Action Master toys appeared), Red Alert effectively did not appear, and Smokscreen maybe said four lines, and Tracks, Hoist and Grapple did not much better - good thing all of those guys got their spotlight cartoon eps. Poor Skids missing out on TV stardom.

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    snip

gives me hope he won’t be forgotten in WFC - he’s so far the only Autobot Car we haven’t got a toy of (as well as Tracks who all rumours say will be in Kingdom)

snip
    Yep I bought takara skids and hasbro crosscut last xmas, skids never showed up and I was unimpressed with crosscut so much I never tried to get another. I have a skids shaped hole on my shelf though and hoping for a Kingdom skids cos they've been smashing it for the other cars in earthrise (a Tracks should be a goven too, with some genselects).

Given how much of a non-entity this guy was in the cartoon but how fairly important and popular of a toy he is I'm totally on board with the less toon style. Really hope they include the scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Akky82 View Post
    Yep I bought takara skids and hasbro crosscut last xmas, skids never showed up and I was unimpressed with crosscut so much I never tried to get another. I have a skids shaped hole on my shelf though and hoping for a Kingdom skids cos they've been smashing it for the other cars in earthrise (a Tracks should be a goven too, with some genselects).
    While I _do_ like that mould, it's a little fidgetty & doesn't really mesh with what WFC has been doing. A Skids in Kingdom would fill that hole better, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    Given how much of a non-entity this guy was in the cartoon but how fairly important and popular of a toy he is I'm totally on board with the less toon style. Really hope they include the scooter.
    I like your thinking. Skids, to me, is an important toy also.

The Scooter should be included because 1) there's no "that thing from that episode" available for Skids and 2) Crosscut should follow and he'll come with the scooter.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister