Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beast Wars original toy reissues

IGN's price details were either a guess, or they were listing Hasbro's RRPs for Walmart... as the larger two are us$50 and the smaller two are us$23.

They are now up on Walmart, which has packaging images for two of them, including the back of Megatron's box that says Megatron and Optimus are Ultras and Cheetor and Rattrap are Megas... which is way off their original size class of a Deluxe and a Basic).
    Optimus Primal
    Megatron
    Cheetor
    Rattrap

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I really want a comment from Hasbro on the Rattrap mould.

Hasbro said at a Botcon back in the day the mould was lost. So did they find it? Or did they make a new Rattrap mould much like they did for the Dino Cassettes a while back?
    Maybe that's why they are charging the same as Cheetor for Rattrap.
    Then again, I was never able to accept that a reverse-engineered toy (like the Dino Cassettes) would cost more than one they designed from scratch... as the process of building the metal moulds (the toolings for the factory to use) would be the same for both toys, but the reverse engineered toy has skipped the expense of designing it and testing out the engineering. It's like having the "prototype" handed to them to create the moulds, which is several steps/months down the whole toy making process.
    As such, it should be cheaper, and because of that, why can't we see more older toys re-released like the Dino Cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Did they neuter them
    as in the firing gimmick in optimus primal

reason i ask is im sure he had a deployable firing arm missle gimmick or something spring loaded missle
    If they are no longer able to fire the missiles, it would probably be a safety reason... lawsuits are now a lot worse than they used to be when those toys were first released.

Quote Originally Posted by Polursine View Post

Those weapons and missiles are a different colour. Mine are dark blue, not baby blue.
    There are a few colour differences, but only the minor colours, as the main colours seem to look about the same.
    Someone on one of the other fansites was complaining that the toys AND packaging wasn't identical to the originals. Not only would that be really tricky to do (particularly on the packaging with company names and details being different), but even fans like me who don't have sealed originals kept locked away for investment would prefer to have some minor differences to tell them apart (especially when they are out of packaging, so that they don't get mixed up).

Just a heads up for those in Australia keen to get these... they are planned for release at BigW for August, but when they are officially up on their site, or advertised, it will be posted in the Oz news section.

But then they can't really rerelease the original versions after the Transmetal ones. Might as well do it now while BW nostalgia is high because of Kingdom.

Is it really a bad thing if people who weren't able to get them growing up can do so now?

Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    But then they can't really rerelease the original versions after the Transmetal ones. Might as well do it now while BW nostalgia is high because of Kingdom.

Is it really a bad thing if people who weren't able to get them growing up can do so now?
    Agreed! While I still have the originals the packaging has long since gone. I will be getting all these and keeping them MSIB for display.

The two carded figures are going to be in "rock bubbles", which we didn't get here because we had the European production run (which was 6-12 months behind the American product, and as such, we got the rounded plastic bubbles that the Americans got after the first wave of stock).
    When I was getting Americans to buy the toys for me in 1996 and ship them over, I don't think I got any rock bubbles... but I didn't keep the packaging back then, so can't be sure.... so I'm excited to soon have two as samples on display.
    I remember dirge getting some Beast Wars toys before me (and probably the first in Australia to own some), so he might have had some rock bubbles without paying exorbitant secondary prices (they were so rare, and more interesting to have on display than the round plastic bubbles, they were also in more demand).

More official images of Optimus Primal, showing us the box front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    More official images of Optimus Primal, showing us the box front and back.
    Are we getting these here?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I remember dirge getting some Beast Wars toys before me (and probably the first in Australia to own some), so he might have had some rock bubbles without paying exorbitant secondary prices (they were so rare, and more interesting to have on display than the round plastic bubbles, they were also in more demand).
    Yeah I got Waspinator and Rattrap sent to me by Andrew Frankel (before he worked at Hasbro); they were rock bubble packed. I too opened & didn't keep the packaging. I wasn't aware at that time that it would end up rare etc.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I was never sure where the rumour that Rattrap's original mould was lost came from. As I recall, when they did the Beast Wars 10th figures, the reason Transmetal Rattrap was reissued was just so he'd have a deluxe toy, same as the others in that line, and that was what was stated by Hasbro. I didn't hear that the mould for the original was supposedly lost until much later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I was never sure where the rumour that Rattrap's original mould was lost came from. As I recall, when they did the Beast Wars 10th figures, the reason Transmetal Rattrap was reissued was just so he'd have a deluxe toy, same as the others in that line, and that was what was stated by Hasbro. I didn't hear that the mould for the original was supposedly lost until much later.
    Hasbro mentioned a list of lost moulds at Botcon one year. Rattrap was on that list.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.