7 43.75%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 6.25%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - ULTRA MAGNUS (Kingdom)

Default Toy Review - ULTRA MAGNUS (Kingdom)

VLTRVM MAGNVM
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - War For Cybertron
    Sub-sub-line - Kingdom
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - Retool and repaint of Siege Ultra Magnus
    Wave - 2
    Released here - Yes
    Approximate Retail Price - $100
    Approximate Size - 21.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Car carrier truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Cab robot can combine with trailer to form armoured robot mode
    Main Colours - liberte, egalite, fraternite
    Main Accessories - rifle, x2 missile launchers

NOTE: Generations War for Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Ultra Magnus is a retool and repaint of Generations War for Cybertron Trilogy Siege Ultra Magnus. Refer to the GWFCTSUM thread for comments about the original mould. This thread will focus on differences made.

PROS
    • Nicer looking truck mode - the unsightly gaps on the side of the cab are filled in, and it looks more like an Earthen car carrier

• The retooling on the armour is more extensive than I expected. Most every part has some retooling.

• The overall sculpting on the armoured mode looks nicer being less "busy" with the insane level of detail on the Siege sculpt, but also not as plain as on the MP. It's a nice balance.

• The missile launchers are also retooled with faux launcher trigger

• Really like the more brilliant pearly white

• No "battle damage" to laboriously clean off - yay!

CONS
    • Some of the repainting choices are strange. Don't know why the pegs on top of the shoulder pylons are painted blue. The front of the side panels on the legs are also unpainted white, which clashes against the blue panels (sides of the trailer) attached to them. The smoke stacks on the cab robot are also unpainted, same as Siege (I've painted mine silver)

• Does not come with the 2 black guns from the Siege toy; given that it's the same price point, I'm not sure why they couldn't have included those guns.

• In order to elongate the vehicle mode to give it the appearance of being an articulated truck, they've also sacrificed the solidity of the alt mode. On Siege UM, the front of the upper deck attaches to the truck cab; while this does make the truck mode look weird and stubby (and incapable of making turns ), it is physically essential to lock it into place. Kingdom UM's trailer is retooled in a way where the front of the upper deck cannot attach to the cab, making the truck mode less solid.

OVERALL
    I'm biased since Ultra Magnus is my favourite TF character. But looking at it more objectively, this toy doesn't really give you anything that the Siege toy doesn't already do. Yeah, it looks more G1... but if you already have MP Ultra Magnus or even Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus as well as Siege UM, then it's arguably superfluous.

I would only recommend this toy if you:
    a/ don't already have Siege UM
    b/ prefer the appearance of this over Siege UM and are willing to accept a less solid truck mode
    If you're an Ultra Magnus collector like me, then you've already made up your mind about this toy and... why are you even reading this? But for those who are unsure, I'd only recommend it under those two aforementioned conditions.

Heck... if you don't even care about having the separate cab robot gimmick, then just stick with Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus. IMO it's still objectively the best CHUG UM toy anyway.

Great review.

I prefer this interpretation of Ultra Magnus. The armoured mode's eyes/lenses are larger and the face is not as narrow. The original toy also featured larger eyes and their enlarged appearance in the G1 animation appear to reflect that.

Shame about the lack of ankle articulation.

Got this guy yesterday. Both the large and small robot modes impress me more than Siege, but the truck is pretty meh... They really should have redone it from the ground up like the Earthrise seekers.
    As Gok said, if you don't have the Siege already then this is worth picking up, but probably not worth replacing it with. In my case I'll be keeping both moulds (although the Netflix version of Siege).
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

How compatible are the pieces between them? I quite like Kingdom's chest piece with head and the missile launchers, but prefer the Siege version for everything else. Do the changes to the inner bots bumper prevent parts swapping?

I have the Siege one but I'd maybe get this one on sale. Would also be interested in armour swapping potential.

I can't see that this is any better than the WFCS version, aside from the combined robot head (visor ftw)

Doesn't mean that its bad or even mediocre. WFCS Mangus is one of my favourite figures. I think the slightly alien small truck mode helps things. It makes for a more aesthetically pleasing robot mode ( V shaped chest, slimming at the hips, instead of just a square Earthen truck front), and having arms hanging off the back looks less jarring when the alt mode isn't meant to be a Earthen truck).
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeRenko View Post
    How compatible are the pieces between them? I quite like Kingdom's chest piece with head and the missile launchers, but prefer the Siege version for everything else. Do the changes to the inner bots bumper prevent parts swapping?
    I think it was mentioned on another board that the peg points on the new cab are in a different location to the Siege mould. I think the armour would still clip onto the back the same way, but the front would just hand loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    I think it was mentioned on another board that the peg points on the new cab are in a different location to the Siege mould. I think the armour would still clip onto the back the same way, but the front would just hand loose.
    Oh wait, just remembered you can swap Galaxy Prime and Siege Ultra Magnus armours so I have to imagine the Magni (?) are cross compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    Oh wait, just remembered you can swap Galaxy Prime and Siege Ultra Magnus armours so I have to imagine the Magni (?) are cross compatible.
    Thanks. I think I'll stick to the Siege version for now.

Interesting to see that the changes to the inner robot vehicle mode mean that the DNA Design legs moveable wheel doesn't look like it will fit at the front any more. Given that we've lost the unsightly gap that Siege had there it isn't as necessary this time around.

One thing that I really hated with the Siege version was the weird gap by the front wheels. I like how the Kingdom version has made it look a lot better by adding the little side step to break the gap up.