7 43.75%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 6.25%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

3 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - ULTRA MAGNUS (Kingdom)

I thought a lot about getting Kingdom UM as I have the Platinum Edition UM (Combiner Wars repaint). Things I hate about CWUM are the extremely tall shoulder pylons and the double shoulder rockets. But KUM is worse than CWUM in car carrier mode (less G1 toy/cartoon-like and boxy with lack of trailer rotation.)

here is a video showing the armour swapping for both siege and Kingdom Ultra magnus, as well as the cab armour not being compatible between the 2 figures:
    (the section of the video which shows the armour swapping starts around 20:16)
    https://youtu.be/1OqvPrRw7Nk

Quote Originally Posted by Justice for Ironhide View Post
    here is a video showing the armour swapping for both siege and Kingdom Ultra magnus, as well as the cab armour not being compatible between the 2 figures:
    (the section of the video which shows the armour swapping starts around 20:16)
    https://youtu.be/1OqvPrRw7Nk
    Thanks. Damn, the Kingdom torso and head look pretty good on the Siege body. Shame about the tabs.

Did see some videos of people covering the robot hands with the blue arm covers in vehicle mode, instead of pegging them to the unfolded torso piece. While it doesn't completely eliminate the problem, it did look better.

Now that you mention it, and after watching a video, the covering of Kingdom UM hands in alt-mode does makes the gap in the alt-mode less noticeable.

What a strange figure, a real tale of two (three) modes...

The main Ultra Magnus bot looks SO good this time around, with a lot of the over-the-top greebling from Siege gone, and of course nice clean and bright colours. Best G1 Magnus to date. The inner robot looks pretty good too, although like Siege also suffers from having nothing meaningful to do with the armour pieces when not in use. Given how undefined the trailer is, it's a missed opportunity to add a battle station of gun turret to the play pattern.

But then the truck mode is just.....yikes. It's actually better in person than photos make it appear, but still - so much good work lost for lack of a little more, as the saying goes. You only have to play with this guy for an hour to start see some different simple design decisions that could have been made to make this work HEAPS better.

I've tried the 'arm cover' approach to the truck mode but they don't really sit in place that well. It's ok on the shelf but cough near it and they fall straight off. I've currently got another setup that I'm liking that uses a few other assorted 5mm weapons - some from AOE Hound and the 'exhaust pipe clubs' from Combiner Wars. But it's all a duct-tape approach to bad design.

For me, this one still wins over Siege Magnus, and even CW Magnus, because the bot mode is really good. And my bots spend maybe 80% of their time that way.

But I can't help but feel like Hasbro have phoned this one in because on a design-board somewhere, there's already the early stages of a Commander Class Magnus that absolutely nails it. They've shown how quick they are to replace the flawed POTP Rodimus and TR Galvatron, so it's possible!

Fourth (fifth-ish) time lucky?

Or plan B....just rip the guy's arms off. They're on mushroom pegs and slide out relatively easy, and seem strong enough to take being removed often enough.

Looks a little odd from some angles still, but....still preferable to full on creepy visible hands.

Which also means the 'pylon nipples' actually have a use now....