View Poll Results: 2021 Unicron - worth buying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yes!!!

12 52.17%
  • Yes, but only if (cheaper or something else)

3 13.04%
  • Not worth it

3 13.04%
  • Not even interested in it

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - 2021 UNICRON

Default Toy Review - 2021 UNICRON

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)

UNICRON
    Series - "Generations"
    Sub-line - (was War For Cybertron)
    Size/class - "Unicron"
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 2021 (March in Asia - April in USA & Japan)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$848 (at EB Games) (US$575 at Hasbro Pulse)
    Approximate Size - 70cm tall x 90cm wide (robot mode) - 95cm wide (planet mode)
    Allegiance - Unicron
    Alt-mode - Planet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - where do I begin?
    Main Colours - yellow, grey, purple,
    Main Accessories - stand, planet parts, face damage, Galvatron, Hotrod, Autobot shuttle

How exactly do you review something like this? You can't compare it to any other Transformer; the sheer cost alone makes that impossible, let alone the truly colossal size. Perhaps you can compare it to other figures made of Unicron, or to other collectables of similar size and price such as the Neo Zeong in my pictures; or maybe you compare it to every other Transformer ever made, since ultimately it is a Transformers toy, the likes of which has never been seen before and will never be seen again.

As far as Unicron toys go, this is certainly the be all and end all. From the ridiculousness of the proposed G1 toy that was basically a soccer ball with a head to the nearly-but-not-quite Armada Unicron (and its subsequent repaints and remoulds), nothing has ever approximated the grandeur and awesomeness of Unicron's appearance in The Movie until now. Unboxing and assembling this toy, I literally said to myself "this is what I wanted when I got Armada Unicron" - and was then immediately struck by the daft complaint that this version can't hold any Minicons on its rings (I want my money back). In planet mode, Unicron is impressive, but not breathtaking until he is fully assembled with his rings, which add an incredible sense of size and scope to the already hefty diameter of the planet. It's bigger than a soccer ball. It's bigger than a basketball. It's the size of a damn beachball. Given that one of Unicron's previous "toy" releases was literally a beach ball produced for a store promotion, that's appropriate.

Even the head beats out other version's of Unicron's head. That sounds ridiculous, but it's true: Cybertron gave us a "destroyed" Unicron head, but the destroyed and skeletal faces of WFC Unicron are more detailed and better painted; Prime gave us a Unicron that transforms into a head, but WFC Unicron is far more convincing.

What it does have, in comparison to other Unicrons, is a lot of kibble. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; the planet mode, as the alt mode, is pretty much devoid of visible kibble (unless you count the stand I guess) as it's all tucked away conveniently inside the shell. I always think that vehicle kibble in robot mode is actually a good thing, as it's a visual reminder that this isn't just a robot, it's a capital-T Transformer. In Unicron's case, I think it comes pretty close to the limit of what some fans would consider acceptable. The entire planetary shell is folded up on the outside of the legs and back. The key phrase there, however, is "folded up". The shell parts do some seriously impressive work folding away as flat as possible, far ahead of Armada Unicron's planet shells which hung off its back. That leaves only the wings, equator spikes and a pair of horns as visible kibble. The equator spikes do just sort of hang around, but as they're on the rear of the toy they're not too noticeable. The horns are barely even kibble. The wings aren't kibble; Unicron's planetary ring system folds up in such a way that it forms a pair of demonic, bony wings that are entirely appropriate to the character. I'm not a hundred percent thrilled with the way they attach to the shoulders but it's better than Armada Unicron's weird tilt, or Prime Unicron's rubber whatever.

Comparing it to other big collectibles emphasises only one thing; the sheer size of it. No, not size. It's big, we've established that. Comparing it to other big toys gives you a breathtaking sense of scale. The Neo Zeong is big (and mine's fully painted! ), but Unicron isn't just bigger. It's wider, taller, thicker. Generations Metroplex is totally dwarfed by it. I'm not sure what else I have that can compare to it. It isn't just bigger than any other Transformer, it's bigger than any other toy I own. But is it better than, say, the Neo Zeong? I don't know. How can I compare a toy with "some assembly required" to something that came unassembled on runners, that I built, disassembled, lovingly painted, applied custom decals to, and entered in a competition (that it didn't win)? I don't know if I should. I love toy robots, but a big part of that is I love Transformers.

So how does it hold up as a Transformer? Pretty damn well. I've already talked about the folding panels, but the transformation is actually intuitive. It makes sense! You can do it without a manual (though I'd use the manual the first time at least. You paid $850 for this thing. RTFM)! The way that pieces move and fit together is for the most part obvious and logical. That's a really cool feeling. This is the biggest Transformer ever, but it transforms like a Transformer.

Ah, but what sort of Transformer? Let's make one thing clear then: this is one hundred percent, in every way, a War For Cybertron toy. The fact that it is has diminished in importance over the course of the marketing campaign, but it was initially advertised as part of the WFC line, and it still has the War For Cybertron logo clearly printed on the side of the box. But it goes beyond logos and marketing. The sculpted detail, full of lines and greebles, is totally out of the modern WFC line. It adheres to G1 while enhancing it, which is what the WFC line has been aiming to do since Siege. Because of the kibble Unicron doesn't have the "perfect" look of toys like Earthrise Optimus Prime or Siege Megatron or Kingdom Dinobot, but it does take all the design elements that were present in the G1 cartoon and build on them. Things like the opening maw and equatorial spikes are represented, but it takes a panel that appears for a moment on screen and adds details like panel lines and sculpting that makes it look like a piece of alien technology.

Where it does lose some of that WFC feel is in the abject lack of 5mm ports. Sure they would have damaged the overall look of this top-end collector's piece, but who wouldn't have liked to plug Fossilizers in all over its planet mode? (okay maybe that's just a me thing) Some of the lay value is actually lost by the sheer size, which necessarily inhibits the articulation. You aren't going to be putting this thing into any crazy poses any time soon. That's not because the articulation isn't there; it's not a brick. It's because the sheer size and weight just inhibit it. Maybe some crazy person can make it do a Spider-Man pose, but for me, I'm not moving it around too much. It doesn't need to. It can tower over my collection just standing in a fairly neutral pose and look awesome and terrifying.

One way it builds on and exceeds its predecessors in the WFC line is in colours. For all its innovations and ingenuity, the WFC line is still a mass retail line and sometimes corners have to be cut to make entries fit into the pricing structure associated with that. Not so with Unicron. This thing is slathered in paint beyond what even the Netflix repaint line has given us. Details are highlighted and all the paint is crisp and clean on my copy. But again, Unicron goes further. Unicron has something which I don't see very often on Transformers toys but do find and really enjoy on my model kits: colour separation. Those big chunks of orange aren't all just one shade; there's at least two different shades. The light and dark blues also contrast, and there are multiple metallic silver tones. This gives the figure a much more realistic appearance and brings out the detail of the different parts. Unicron just exceeds.

That said, if you are a Masterpiece collector (for instance) and decided to add this piece to your collection, I doubt you will be disappointed. I am not an MP collector; in fact the only Masterpiece toy I own is MP-01, so I can't even compare this to the newest releases. I can compare it to that toy though. MP-01 is one of the oldest Transformers I own and one of the first I ever bought. At the time it was released, it was something very special, and even years later, beat out MP-10 in TFW2005's poll for best Transformer ever. None of that is something I'll ever disagree with. There's a reason why other Transformers have come and gone from my collection but MPOP never will. In a very real sense, it's the Alpha of my collection. That makes Unicron, fittingly, the Omega. Unicron feels like the best part of two decades' development from a toy that was already years ahead of its time. Gimmicks, details, and size, are all taken and improved upon to a degree that goes beyond what is currently - or ever will be - possible from mass retail. That was exactly what MPOP did at the time of its release. Unicron does it again but more, and because of what Unicron represents, it'll never be done again (until Hasbro announce a Primus kickstarter on Friday).

Unicron is something truly special. It is more than any other Transformer I own, or will ever own, in so many different ways. It transcends the notion of Transformers toys and becomes a truly top-end collectible. Hasbro might announce a Primus crowdfunding event tomorrow, but I don't think they should, and I wouldn't be participating. I'm done with giants now. This one is enough, and I'm satisified with it. I don't give perfect scores, but if I had to score this I wouldn't give it 9/10; I'd give it 99%. It's as close to perfect as anything is ever likely to be. It is the Omega.

Mighty fine looking figure the size is just huge. I considered getting my own one but the cost and sheer size is why I ultimately didn't buy one as where would I display such a colossal item? I do like that it's big and as the chaos bringer he should be the biggest transformer just for my collection it's just too big.

One thing I've been wondering is he technically a parts former or could you in theory transform him without removing any kibble? I like that some transformers don't partform even though it's easier to remove bits but it helps with the imagination knowing that if it were sentient it could transform on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevac View Post

One thing I've been wondering is he technically a parts former or could you in theory transform him without removing any kibble? I like that some transformers don't partform even though it's easier to remove bits but it helps with the imagination knowing that if it were sentient it could transform on it's own.
    The only parts you are instructed to remove are the ring wings from the shoulders, that doesn’t really make it count as a parts former, it’s basically like taking a gun off car mode and putting in the hand at the end.

But that said, I put my wings on him in planet mode, and transformed the first time with them still in place. It’s awkward to do, but it can be done

Considering the immense cost of this figure, lacking any lighting solution for the rings (be it light piping or LED's), seems like an opportunity missed...

The figure looks fantastic otherwise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    Considering the immense cost of this figure, lacking any lighting solution for the rings (be it light piping or LED's), seems like an opportunity missed...

The figure looks fantastic otherwise!!!
    I suspect that the thin nature of the rings would make it tricky to pull off a lighting feature in them.

I think it looks fantasctic and would like one, but as Nevac stated, it's just too damn big. I have enough trouble fitting the Titans I have around the place, let alone something like this.
    I do like it and would totally buy a smaller version of Unicron (and have bought two Armada & recolour).

I did get to see the prototype at the Tokyo toy show/comic con and was suitably impressed, I look forward to seeing a completed one in real life one day.

"Strong enough to break the bravest heart..."

Which brings us to where we are today...

With a figure this expensive I definitely thought I'd have some regrets but it's great with only a few minor negatives. Those are the force required to move some tight parts, the vague instructions, and of course the fold up of all the panels on the legs and back. However it's impressive the way the planet surface folds and I don't think it detracts from the robot mode too much.

Overall I don't think there's anything that could top this figure in presence, anticipation and the enjoyment of getting it home after the year and half wait from it being announced.

Also in case anyone has limited space like I do, the legs on the stand can be taken off by unscrewing a small screw underneath. I took off one to fit on my display and it seems sturdy enough. Better than going without a stand.

I think the robot mode looks a lot better with the panels taken off.... which is a shame, but not a surprise, as there is no way you'd be able to get a sphere to look like the robot mode of Unicron in the movie, without it being the size of a planet.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I think the robot mode looks a lot better with the panels taken off.... which is a shame, but not a surprise, as there is no way you'd be able to get a sphere to look like the robot mode of Unicron in the movie, without it being the size of a planet.
    The third party one pulls it off with zero kibble. Here is the transformation. However while it achieves an incredibly accurate robot mode, the planet mode suffers from the colour layout being wrong.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain