Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts About Universe Bruticus

I'm still a bit disappointed that Bruticus and Superion weren't slotted into the official 'classics' lineup in keeping with devastator Oh well, even with the more complex paint scheme and the absence of rub signs, these 'universe G1s' are still close enough to fit in with the classics range I guess.

Apart from this, the toy is pretty awesome. The combiner arms and legs do seem a little more g1-like when mismatched, still I prefer the tank-legs style. Bruticus' feet aren't so hot in that mode but he appears to be a bit more solid and the hands look mad that way They probably would look even better in black or silver though, as Sutton suggested.

Meh, I'm counting my Universe G1 Dirge and Roadbuster as part of my Classics.
    Odd how these toys aren't officially part of Classics, yet apparently Hasbro's G1 Soundwave reissue is... should be the other way around IMO.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Both my Universe Bruticus and Superion are staying in their boxes as MISB display pieces and shall not be part of my Classics range.
    I think some Acid Storm repaints would make better Classics Aerialbots.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Odd how these toys aren't officially part of Classics, yet apparently Hasbro's G1 Soundwave reissue is... should be the other way around IMO.
    Why do you say Soundwave is officially Classics? His packaging says "Commemorative Series"

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Why do you say Soundwave is officially Classics? His packaging says "Commemorative Series"
    I also consider soundwave to be part of my classics primarily based on its packaging.
    I really like the classics 1.0 packaging and is one of the other reason why I'm keeping them MISB.

I found some some reads about the commemorative series on tfwiki.
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

Quote Originally Posted by DigDug View Post
    I'm still a bit disappointed that Bruticus and Superion weren't slotted into the official 'classics' lineup in keeping with devastator Oh well, even with the more complex paint scheme and the absence of rub signs, these 'universe G1s' are still close enough to fit in with the classics range I guess.
    Well, it is also known as 'Classics 2.0', even Hasbro called it by that name more than once. They just keep the official name to 'Universe' so they can slot in a few cute oddities here and there, like the odd Beast Wars or Armada figure.

As far as what fits in to a collection as being part of the 'classics' line, I guess it's all a matter of taste. I have an Energon Downshift filling the role of Wheeljack quite admirably, for example. Soundwave is represented by either Cybertron Soundwave Titanium Nappywave (Crud, but more in tone and scale with the regular classics than the larger and more 'severe' Cybertron offering...). The fact Hasbro released a Blaster repaint of the Cybertron Soundwave ratifies it as a legitimate Classics figure, IMO.

I bought a Cybertron Metroplex for my kid's Christmas present yesterday ($50 FTW) and I think that could quite easily pass as Classics Metroplex with a few small paint modifications, same goes for Energon Omega Supreme.
    Last edited by Sutton; 30th November 2008 at 06:54 PM.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    . I have an Energon Downshift filling the role of Wheeljack quite admirably,
    Me too...and when I was intoxicated and bored the other night I made some refinements. (still got a little bit to go)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Me too...and when I was intoxicated and bored the other night I made some refinements. (still got a little bit to go)

Nice start, dude. Thinking the windows need to be black or dark silver...the red detracts. But nice work on the guns - Wheeljack's shotgun is awesome.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Nice start, dude. Thinking the windows need to be black or dark silver...the red detracts. But nice work on the guns - Wheeljack's shotgun is awesome.
    Yeah good idea on the windows. I may not though as I'll only ever display in bot mode so they are pretty much totally unseen. Just want to get rid of all the green bits and may make his legs and feet totally white.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Meh, I'm counting my Universe G1 Dirge and Roadbuster as part of my Classics.
    I think not even Hasbro knows where they are supposed to go so its open to the imagination.