Thread: New Transformers battle card game

Default New Transformers battle card game

Hot on the heels of the in-house Wizards of the Coast Trading (battle) Card Game, comes a licensed battle card game from Renegade Game Studios.
    The main difference this time is that you will be buying the full set of cards this time, in starter packs and in any later theme/season packs... from which you build your best/preferred deck before you battle.

So far only vague details are known, along with a preliminary image of the box... but this page on Renegade's website shows us their Power Rangers starter pack, which is us$45... has about 130 character cards, plus a number of other accessories for playing the game. The link also has a youtube video you can watch, to see how this type of game is played... of which I would expect a similar format for Transformers.

The WOTC game was a fast release of several series, at huge cost to those wanting most or all of the set, which put off a lot of people fast (including me)... so I wonder if this game is coming out too soon while there is still a loyalty to WOTC by those still keen on a battle card game, and a hesitancy by others to buy into a new battle card game after a negative experience to WOTC. After all, there are still WOTC card packs and boxes still in-stock at a lot of online places, that people will still be seeing for a few years, basically reminding them that "this in-house game failed by a market leader in card games, so why bother spending money on a licensed one".

I'm quite interested in this.

I've played a few other deck builders - Thunderstone, Dominion, Lord of the Rings - and they're good fun. Some are cooperative, some are competitive, and most have some mechanism that you can they play by yourself against a mechanised (by card order) opposition.

Most operate on the basis of having a base set of cards, which you start each game with. Within gameplay, you are then able to purchase/acquire stronger cards from within the upgrade piles (also included within your game set).

It removes my biggest frustration with TCGs, in that they rewarded those who invested into high volumes of boosters and rare cards for personal strategy, and makes for a game that is overall more accessible to most.

Renegade Games have now posted up on their site, the promo page, and the pre-order page, which has the contents of the Transformers game, including some sample images.
    It is us$45, to be released in August... but only ships within America.
    Unfortunately, at this time there are no outlets listed in Australia... so for now, if you want this, you'll have to get it through a third party.

50 Starter Cards· 36 Basic Cards
    · 85 Main Deck Cards

· 6 Decepticon Boss Cards
    · 10 Encounter Cards
    · 5 Reference Cards
    · 6 Oversized Character Cards
    · 15 Tracking Tokens
    · 8 Reminder Tokens
    · 6 Player Standees
    · 40 Victory Point Tokens
    · 50 Energon Cubes
    · Rulebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    It removes my biggest frustration with TCGs, in that they rewarded those who invested into high volumes of boosters and rare cards for personal strategy, and makes for a game that is overall more accessible to most.
    Yes... it becomes a game of who has the greatest skill, rather than a game of who has the greatest disposable income.
    I think it makes it fairer, and forces you to work out strategies, instead of just relying on the most powerful (expensive) cards.
    Last edited by griffin; 18th May 2021 at 10:00 PM.

It looks like this has an Australian distributor after all, as it has been listed on Amazon Australia as domestic stock... for au$70, and might already be out here, as the listing is saying that it is currently out of stock, but still allows you to buy it (which often means that they can get more stock from the distributor).
    It is supposed to be out in America this month, so it is possible that it is out here now.

I saw this on Amazon Australia the other week, but forgot to mention it...

The company doing the new battle card game (Renegade Game Studios) has produced a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of the the main artwork from their card game.
    It is about $30 on Amazon Australia - currently out of stock in Australia, but still available for about the same price from America.