Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MOTU Revelation Netflix trailer

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Just take anything that Spector Creative says with an enormous grain of salt. He has an incredible opinion of himself and his knowledge, trades endlessly on (allegedly) having worked in the industry, appears not to understand (or perhaps care) about the difference between fact, opinion, and rumour... and in the areas I have had some knowledge of he spouted a whole lot of, well, crap, which makes me doubt he knows anything about the subject at hand.

I've written him off as just another click-bait blowhard.

Watched the first episode of the Netflix MOTU. Wasn't awful nor was it amazing. Kind of find the overreaction by whiny YouTubers more entertaining, if anything.

People seem to forget the 80's cartoon wasn't great in the first place, and like so many other shows, were tools to sell toys.

Transformers are unique to me, because the toys themselves are so creative. The TF cartoons carried that element even if the stories weren't grand epics... although the 86 movie is still in my top 5 fave films ever as it just kicks butt without any filler nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Just take anything that Spector Creative says with an enormous grain of salt. He has an incredible opinion of himself and his knowledge, trades endlessly on (allegedly) having worked in the industry, appears not to understand (or perhaps care) about the difference between fact, opinion, and rumour... and in the areas I have had some knowledge of he spouted a whole lot of, well, crap, which makes me doubt he knows anything about the subject at hand.

Roger dodge. The speed viewing settings of youtube are my best friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    Watched the first episode of the Netflix MOTU. Wasn't awful nor was it amazing. Kind of find the overreaction by whiny YouTubers more entertaining, if anything.

People seem to forget the 80's cartoon wasn't great in the first place, and like so many other shows, were tools to sell toys.

Transformers are unique to me, because the toys themselves are so creative. The TF cartoons carried that element even if the stories weren't grand epics... although the 86 movie is still in my top 5 fave films ever as it just kicks butt without any filler nonsense.
    Youtubers seem to deliberately exaggerate anything. Part of the reason why I am very select about which ones I watch. But I agree on your points.
    Also agree on the Transformers movie, it is full on throughout the movie (and not in a bad way).

You can have your own opinion of his personality - but his toy industry cred is up on his LinkedIn Page - Scott Neitlich - Creative Director - Spector Creative | LinkedIn. He could be like a lot of people trying speak up his work history and achievements.

He's effectively like Ben Montanno (or Aaron Archer in later years) - privy to the internal discussions, but thinks brand / lore first not toy design - but would be abreast of what was trying to be achieved in design. He would also have an internal perspective of the brand that many of us don't, which could mean that what he says on certain topics are either generalisations or come from mixed messaging / non-corporate messaging.
    Last edited by Seraphim Prime; 31st August 2021 at 03:48 PM.

Just take anything that Spector Creative says with an enormous grain of salt. He has an incredible opinion of himself and his knowledge, trades endlessly on (allegedly) having worked in the industry,
    Allegedly? He was the MOTU brand manager for almost the entire run of the MOTU Classics line, and its only when he left that it lost momentum and sales.
    He?s also got a treasure trove of Mattel designs, storyboards, licensor bibles, and production information because he took copies of it. In fact, he managed to salvage much of the original material and concept work, which otherwise would have been destroyed. You might not like him personally, but there isn?t any ?allegedly? about it.

?

I?m only at the third episode, but really enjoying it so far. Enough to buy a case of MOTU Masterverse figures. There only seems to be six episodes though, so I?m hoping there are more in production. Otherwise its a real short series.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Can we talk about the show here as well? I just finished episode 10 (season two I guess) and thought it was all right. Not great, not bad. Kinda fan fictiony in a way.

Spoliers incoming I guess

I did like the way it took the point of what would Skeletor do once he's destroyed He-Man, Adam calling on the power without the sword was a nice addition and kind of setting the purpose to the sword itself.Evil Lyn as the sorceress (I really dign that design as well) and then again when she had the power as well as sorceress-i-ness. But It did kind of strike me as a bit meh, the way practically anybody can use the power. uscle Lyn had he power as well as being the sorceress, so apparently all the power, yet there is still power for He-Man, Skelegod and Teela as well. Yet, Man at Arms tells Lyn that as the sorceress, she has control of the power, so she could have easily just blocked it from the 3 others.

It was kinda of cool watching He-man rip through the dead army, like I don't recall ever seeing He-Man really let loose like that.

Then what happens at the end to Skeletor. Is he out of magic? He's now at the point where two lackeys could hold him down? Although the way it ended does add some conjecture to the continuation. New adventures? She-Ra? Rather exciting!

So in the end, it wasn't spectacular, but wasn't so bad

Watched season two. Interesting how it was not totally focused on he-man, I liked it. Not the best written but still good, kept my interest up. I learnt of Mr Fisto who loves to give the fist to people. Har har