Thread: Studio Series SS-86 Sweeps

Default Studio Series SS-86 Sweeps

Some low res stock images of the Sweeps have made their way onto the internet. The Sweep's colour looks a bit different to Scourge, but that's only because the colour balance isn't the same on the images for the Sweeps and Scourge. The Sweep seems to literally be a repack of Scourge with a new box.

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...reveals/46078/
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

The hands are swapped and the head may be slightly different but yea, doesn't seem to be anything really different between Sweep and Scourge.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    The hands are swapped and the head may be slightly different but yea, doesn't seem to be anything really different between Sweep and Scourge.
    The head isn't different at all. The hands are it.

I'm honestly surprised by all the people over on other sites who appear to be, well, surprised by this shocking turn of events

At least the picture on the box has a different expression...

The comments on foreign fansites... fans can be difficult to please... it is no wonder Hasbro used to just ignore us.

Fans wanted screen accuracy with these toys, and then they complain about it without acknowledging that the Sweeps are meant to be identical to Scourge.

Hasbro was damned if they did, and damned if they didn't.
    If the toy is identical to Scourge, people would complain about it being the same, as if they are obligated to buy everything by Hasbro.
    If the toy is not identical to Scourge, people would complain about it not being screen accurate and refuse to buy it.

My only concern is... do I buy one, or three.

The Sweeps are nothing. Wait until the Junkion toy is revealed.

I actually support redecos/retools because I think it pays Hasbro's bills since it's the moulds that are extremely expensive and toy makers recoup their costs by reusing them (and without them we wouldn't have Skywarp or Thundercracker). But changing the left hand of Scourge and calling him Sweep... well, perhaps they could have just made heaps of Scourge and let the fans call #2 and #3 Sweep or given him some extra accessory (like a changeable hand) so he could be Scourge or Sweep. People bought 3 Siege Refraktors afterall, and you could remove the shutter to make the other 2. So instead of making Sweep, they could have used the slot for another character. But these decisions are made by bean counters and Sweep is one of the easiest reuses of an existing toy in the history of Transformer toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The Sweeps are nothing. Wait until the Junkion toy is revealed.
    If they do a Junkion toy, it shouldn't be the same as Wreck-Gar, as I don't know if there were any other Junkions that looked like him... as that was kinda the point of them - being made up of spare parts (junk), so each one was different.
    If their Junkion toy doesn't at least have a different head and colour layout, then that would indeed be a lazy effort on their part, and I'd probably join the chorus of complaints.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    So instead of making Sweep, they could have used the slot for another character. But these decisions are made by bean counters and Sweep is one of the easiest reuses of an existing toy in the history of Transformer toys.
    But the reason for using another slot has been pointed out over on TFW2005 - it's a way to have the toy buyers stock the thing at all. Yes, it is the same toy, but it has a different name. Otherwise Hasbro would have had to ask the toy buyers to order yet another re-pack, which they're probably getting tired of by now, especially as it is clear that the re-packs are shelf-warming; worse, a voyager re-pack instead of just a deluxe.