Thread: What's ONE collecting tip you would give to your young self?

Default What's ONE collecting tip you would give to your young self?

If you could send just ONE message back to yourself when you first started collecting Transformers as a child, what would that message be?

Mine would be to treat my toys like vampires and keep them away from sunlight.

Mine would be to keep all my toys.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Buy all G1 reissues by default.

...I skipped Fort Max, Predaking, for example

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Keep the boxes!

Don't waste money on crap like the Bayverse lines. I remember when the first movie toy line came out in '07, I got "over-excited" & bought one of each character. A few years later, I asked myself "Why did I buy all these hideous things?" & ended up donating them all to charity.

From 2021 me to 1984 me: "Don't fret too much. One day they will make Transformer toys that look and move just like the characters on your favourite TV show."

Have a defined focus on what you are collecting. It's no good going after everything you like the look of. If you do that you will soon run out of space and have more in storage than on shelves.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Buy G1 Mirage.

Doesn’t super apply to me only, but don’t settle for a new (or even old) figure just because it’s A-FIGURE-THAT-EXISTS for a character you need. If you don’t completely love how it looks or it has a major turn-off aspect to it, wait for the next version to come round in a couple years.

Anything and everything is on the table for an update now. Possibly because of how it used to be very much fighting for scraps in the earlier years of CHUG and only a handful of characters were “guaranteed”, a lot of collectors are maybe a little too quick to settle for something just to get a character ticked off the list, when they probably won’t like the toy that much.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Don't throw out these boxes, t30 metroplex and the 4th box to the old madman g1 set

Don't get the leader class movie bumblebee from target they have MP04 right there and mums offering to buy it

Don't waste your money on all these movie bots you don't HAVE to buy it because you have money

Don't spend all your money on robots save some, a majority of these you'll sell for less you spent

Lastly, 12 year old Brody; DONT PULL ALL THOSE ROBOTS APART WITH A SCREWDRIVER YOULL NEVER FIX THEM AND THEY ARENT CHEAP NOW (R.I.P my Cybertron Jetfire among others)