3 18.75%
  • Yes, only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy review - Dinobot Slug (Slag) and Daniel Witwicky (Studio Series 86)

Default Toy review - Dinobot Slug (Slag) and Daniel Witwicky (Studio Series 86)

Dinobot Slug (Slag) and Daniel Witwicky
    Series - Studio Series
    Sub-line - 86
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 2
    Released here - June/July 2021
    Approximate Retail Price - $90 - 100
    Approximate Size - >21 cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - robotic triceratops dinosaur
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Daniel figure can ride on Slug/Slag
    Main Colours - red, grey, gold
    Main Accessories - gun + non-transformable Daniel figure

This is a charming toy. The transformation is more involved than I expected, with foldings hidden in the torso. The robot mode has longer torso and shorter arms/legs compared to Grimlock, but doesn't look bad when displayed right next to Grimlock. Given that he's as tall as Grimlock he has an impressive presence when displayed next to other WFC/SS86 toys. Also, like Grimlock he has 5mm peg holes on his arms/legs and back so he's compatible with weapons from the WFC toys. I really like this toy.
    Last edited by Kyle; 8th July 2021 at 10:29 PM.

Absolutely love this guy!
    My favourite bit is how the dino legs can completely fold up and hide inside the robot mode legs - pretty much eliminating hollowness and also allowing for that show accuracy.
    My only minor annoyance with this figure is getting the dino tail to tab in properly for alt. Otherwise no issues to complain about.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Those last dino riders pics are awesome. Definitely a display option once we get the rest of the SS86 Dinobots

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Absolutely love this guy!
    My favourite bit is how the dino legs can completely fold up and hide inside the robot mode legs - pretty much eliminating hollowness and also allowing for that show accuracy.
    My only minor annoyance with this figure is getting the dino tail to tab in properly for alt. Otherwise no issues to complain about.
    Agreed. The dino legs being hidden in the robot legs is very nice. I also like how the gun can be stored underneath the tail during dino mode and extends the tail a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Those last dino riders pics are awesome. Definitely a display option once we get the rest of the SS86 Dinobots
    I hope the rumors regarding more Dinobots turn out to be true. I'd be happy with whatever more we can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Those last dino riders pics are awesome.
    Ditto. <3 the Dino Rider poses.

Very chunky. Haven't really paid attention to pics showing the size. So pretty impressed, though a few bits on mine are a bit loose.

Can't wait for the rest of the Dinobots.

Another Masterpiece in Studio Series form. Beautiful version of G1/movie Slag, the best Slag ever made. Perfect scale with Grimlock, SS86 and WFC toys.

I couldn't close the faux chest after pushing the sides of the chest halves in and discovered a bit of flash around the hinge was obstructing, which I removed with a hobby knife.

Also his left foot did not click into place after ankle tilting. The ankle tilt was not loose but there was no catching to hold the foot in its neutral position, just remaining there by friction. At first I thought the edge of the tab or the edge of the hole were deformed, but they looked the same as the other side.

Then I noticed a slightly larger gap than the other leg between the 2 plastic parts just in front of that rectangular hole (between it and the golden toes). Opening the leg up by the usual transformation revealed a screw on the other side. I tightened it with my JIS screwdriver (a normal Phillips head probably works) and I got back my clicking into place ankle.

I checked my Slug and sure enough, I had the same extra plastic in the hinge. It's hard to clear out, but I think I got most of it. The transformation relies on a large number of tabs staying together, which can be a bit finicky. The transformation is otherwise quite intuitive, more than the usual G1 Slag we've seen.

Both modes on their own are stellar, the triceratops has bright colours and all the right spots of cute pudginess in Slag's cartoon model. A lot of third party offerings have failed to capture that and looked ugly, while this toy excels with its stubbiness. The paint apps on the head and torso are spot on, surely a near perfect facsimile of the cartoon.

Bring on Swoop, I can't wait to see their attempt at a similarly cartoon accurate pterodactyl head. The current POTP one on my shelf is a good sculpt, but a little dry of character, as are his linemates.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I don't have Grimlock yet, but seeing how big Slug is in hand, just wow. Looks good, transforms well and not too hard to figure out. Clipping together is a bit annoying but not awful. Daniel is a crap accessory. If he wasn't molded to have permanently bent knees, I'd display it on a shelf. But alas, into a storage box he goes. What a waste.

I wonder what other annoying add on characters they will throw in with the rest of the Dinobots.....