Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Special Buys hobby tools 24/7/21

Default Aldi Special Buys hobby tools 24/7/21

For those who fix or are thinking of fixing their toys, these items coming to Aldi may be of interest. They are quite cheap. The hand drill (looks like a pin vice) especially caught my attention due to the price and you can go from 0.6mm to 2.5mm - great for making holes for small metal rods that you can make from straightened ballpoint pen springs, wire or paperclips, or use proper hobby rods, for reinforcing areas that glue won't hold alone.

Hobby tools.
    More info on the hand drill.

The hobby vice is also quite cheap, but the jaws might need a rubber (or similar) layer to prevent plastic damage.

The Bondic UV plastic welder is interesting. I wonder if UV glue is useful for glueing broken TFs. It could also be useful for creating precision plastic nubs. I've used superglue nubs for loose ball and socket joints to stop limbs dislocating on small TFs but with this the glue doesn't harden until the UV torch is lit.

Fingers crossed vic lockdown ends so i can get that drill

Edit: i have the vice its decent and has rubber on it already

Edit to my edit: Nevermind mines different, they had a good one with rubber a few months ago

I was wondering if any of the more artistic types here could offer advice on the compressor and airbrush? Looking at it for basic stuff like RC car bodies and other stuff.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I was wondering if any of the more artistic types here could offer advice on the compressor and airbrush? Looking at it for basic stuff like RC car bodies and other stuff.
    Its not amazing
    Its good to learn on but my first one broke after 6 months (compressor stuffed), got a cheap replacement one (with an airtank as well) and that also lasted no longer than a year (hose and gun wise, compressor still works but you need to buy new fittings because the hose is smaller than normal)

Those accessory drawers look like a must buy. Compressor looks basic. Having the trap connected to the body is a bad idea. Airbrush is very basic, siphon fed single action. You press the button paint comes out. Probably good for spraying primers or basecoats. I wouldn't try to do anything which requires any finesse.

Ah, thanks for all that advice. I'm keen to grab an airbrush kit but have no idea. So if you guys say not great, happy to not get it then lol. Actually, may still get it. I've started 3D printing stuff, and this might be good to mess around with and get the hang of it whilst I'm on holidays seeing as I don't think I'll get to go anywhere
    Last edited by 1AZRAEL1; 20th July 2021 at 11:14 PM.

Just my 2 cents: agree on passing on the air compressor. Get one with a tank as it means the compressor isn?t always running and gives you a more steady flow of air.

I got a cheap one on Ebay (check out ?Voilamart air compressor?) as a beginner and it is still going strong, even when the wife dropped it.

In terms of airbrush, you don?t need to spend $100+, but probably one around the $50-$60 from a hobby store is a good balance between cost and reliability. I?d go for a dual action gravity fed airbrush as a good starting point.

Hand drill will help with my 3d prints
    ~

The storage drawers are a must for those with growing Lego collections to part out. If we weren't in lockdown I'd be going for unit 6 & 7...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I bought the drill but haven't tried it yet. There was one set that I think was missing a 0.6mm bit so it pays to look closely. Also worth checking they haven't given 2 bits of the same size. I took pics of the drawers for those interested: