Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Snazzbot 101

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hi from Snazzbot 101

Hi Guys. I've been lurking on and off for awhile and I thought it best to bite the bullet and join in.

Watched the cartoon on The Early Bird Show - captured my imagination. Never saw Optimus or Megatron at retail - they became such objects of awe, spoken of in revered whispers at primary school. My best friend did get Megatron as a birthday present though.
    Wow, underwhelming.

Didn't see season three. Didn't see the movie. My Mum said it was just a big toy commercial. Well, yeah.

Time moved on. Still found myself at the Toy Store upon occasion, a High School guilty pleasure, checking up on them. A tiny robot transforming into a gun? Cool. A robot in a human? umm...

And then there was Beast Wars - which I instantly dismissed. A hairy Optimus with a mouth? Ugh.

Somehow I ended giving it a proper shot. Damn. Amazing.

RID. Armada. Energon. Cybertron. *SIGH* I'd shake my head, but I fear it would fly clear off.

And now it's today. I have a Beast Machines Box Set I've been meaning to watch and the Anniversary Edition movie which I have. I have my own Optimus Prime and my own Megatron (reissues natch'). He's still underwhelming, but he's just so WOW as well.

North Melbourne-bot...?

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    listen carefully for i shall say this only once,, Welcome... to ze pit of despair.

stick it to the man!!! Hold your Megatron with pride!!!

but only your classics megatron... don't want to advocate breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j
    Hehe... our gun laws are hysterical.

American's have the right to bare arms or whatever... but get all precious with their toy guns.
    I think you're confusing American and Australian gun laws. I agree that American laws seem kinda strange considering that they're so strict on toy guns yet it's ridiculously easy to get real guns. Our laws aren't quite so hypocritical and IMO it's because there are two things that the US has that we don't...
    #1: The Second Amendment
    #2: The NRA

I just think it's sad that these matters have to effect such an iconic toy. I have shot a handgun and a shotgun and at one time was even licensed to carry one... in a security capacity... to say that I'm not allowed a toy that forms the shape of a gun... which is in no way a working or possible working weapon... strange days indeed.
    An excellent point - and that was the legal argument that was presented to the NSW Police Ministry which paved the way for legal Megatron ownership in this state. Unfortunately this has yet to occur in Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by snazzbot_101
    But it does make me wonder. What about my Collection and MP Convoys with their mighty smokestacks standing proud and TALL?

I know, I know, we buy them as collectables not toys (right) but they are still toys and they would surely have to conform to Australian Standards as such.
    Actually, I also buy them as toys.

As for MP Convoy, in Japan MPs aren't marketed at children - they are marketed as "Ages 15 and Up." I think that MP Convoy's smoke stacks are okay under Australian toy safety laws though because we've had two versions of that mould sold locally here (MP Magnus and MP Convoy w/ trailer - both Target exclusives). Afaik Hasbro Australia didn't market them as "Ages 15 and Up" but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have either of those figures.

Either way, the smokestack issue isn't one that falls under replica weapon - it's a matter of child safety.

but only your classics megatron... don't want to advocate breaking the law.
    Actually, ownership of replica gun toys like Megatron is perfectly legal in WA, so roller's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Actually, I also buy them as toys.

As for MP Convoy, in Japan MPs aren't marketed at children - they are marketed as "Ages 15 and Up." I think that MP Convoy's smoke stacks are okay under Australian toy safety laws though because we've had two versions of that mould sold locally here (MP Magnus and MP Convoy w/ trailer - both Target exclusives). Afaik Hasbro Australia didn't market them as "Ages 15 and Up" but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have either of those figures.

Either way, the smokestack issue isn't one that falls under replica weapon - it's a matter of child safety.
    I wasn't comparing a smokestack to a smoking gun, but the Master Piece analogy wasn't the best (forgot all about them selling them over here). I'll try again...

The Gen 1 reissue Primes from Hasbro has short stacks for safety reasons. My Collection Convoy has long - God-intended - smokestacks. As they are both the same TOY they should both confirm to the same Australian Standard, regardless of how it's marketed in Japan.

Given that, has anyone considered the potential ramifications of importing and owning something which could be illegal?

(This isn't just a shortstack question - which may not be recognised as a hazard by Australian Standards - collectively we import a lot of stuff and it's something I'm curious about.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by snazzbot 101 View Post

Watched the cartoon on The Early Bird Show - captured my imagination. Never saw Optimus or Megatron at retail - they became such objects of awe, spoken of in revered whispers at primary school. My best friend did get Megatron as a birthday present though.
    Wow, underwhelming.
    Do I know you?? Sounds like you could be any one of my three TF friends from 1985.

Did you have a Powerglide that....someone (wasn't me I swear) broke?

Welcome aboard anyway Snazz. What part of Melbourne you from?

Welcome Aboard Snazzbot!!