Thread: G1 shockwave toy vs masterpiece

Default G1 shockwave toy vs masterpiece

Highly unusual but I think in the case of the G1 Shockwave toy it is actually better than the masterpiece. The colours, the heft, the die-cast, everything just oozes quality. In fairness the proportions are a bit better on the MP but overall I prefer the G1. Is it just me?

I don't have any experience with G1 Shockwave, but the MP was very underwhelming.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimoinj View Post
    Highly unusual but I think in the case of the G1 Shockwave toy it is actually better than the masterpiece. The colours, the heft, the die-cast, everything just oozes quality. In fairness the proportions are a bit better on the MP but overall I prefer the G1. Is it just me?
    MP-29+ went toy colour.... maybe that's more to your liking

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    MP-29+ went toy colour.... maybe that's more to your liking
    Yeah it is. I have one on hold with family in China. Unfortunately every time they try to send it out it gets rejected and returned by customs because it looks like a gun(!) Chinese customs not Australia's.

I always wanted a G1 Shockwave but the skinny legs were disappointing to me... and still are I'm afraid .

I loved my G1 figure, always wanted one as a kid. Then sold the one I had as an adult. Still wouldn't mind the MP one, but I still prefer the FT one I have.

I prefer the MP TBH. Some of the best things about it include...

+ The hose being made of segmented plastic instead of rubber. The rubber on my G1 Shockwave's hose has badly crumbled.
    + Legs and ears not being loose and prone to swinging/sliding down.
    + MP Shockwave can see his toes.

Both have die-cast parts and similar heft. I do prefer the darker colours on G1 Shockwave though, but you can get MP+ Shockwave if you prefer G1-accurate deep purple over lavender. Although both have the lame munted trigger/crotch; I prefer the original Astro Magnum/Galactic Man trigger/crotch! Seriously, phallic imagery aside, it just looks like a realistic gun trigger.

The thing about quality is that it can be very subjective. Diecast feels good in the hand and heft is just something we seem to naturally associate with quality, at least in terms of collectibles. You have to consider that the G1 is also a bit of a brick. It's solid in part due to the materials of the time being of a higher standard than what is used now, but also in part due to the relative lack of articulation. Obviously a figure that can barely move is going to feel much more solid than one that articulates. When articulation is taken to the extremities, we get rickety figures with a lot of give in the joints like modern day mps. Trading off solidity for articulation is just unavoidable.