Thread: any tips for drilling into plastic and/or adding peg holes?

Default any tips for drilling into plastic and/or adding peg holes?

I'm having no luck drilling peg holes into my figurines. The hole is juuust too small, so I try to enlarge it and next minute it's too big. Other holes become floppy or saggy over time and the inserted guns start pointing at angles.

Is there a how-to guide somewhere, or should I just be buying and attaching some preset holes from a kit?

A bit more info on the types of figurines and the material they are made from would help get you a better answer. Unfortunately though peg hole sizes can vary between figures even in the same line.

Some suggestions would be:

Try getting some imperial and metric drill bits if you don't already one or the other
    Buy a junker or parts you can use to drill test holes in so you know the right size before the real thing
    If your drill bit is a fraction small you could try a screw with a narrow thread (sheet metal type) around the bit size to get it a touch wider
    Use clear nail polish on the peg to get a snugger fit

I am sure there are those with a lot more ideas. snaketales comes to mind.

I'm only dealing with legion-size figurines, so it's a bit fiddly. Generally 3mm holes.

The last thing I tried was to attach WST Dirge wings to a legion Starscream, but the Dirge pegs are weirdly conical and won't stay in place.

Pick up a pin vice. Perfect for this type of thing. Most will come with a number of small drill bits that come in very very useful.
    ~

Thurmus has given lots of good ideas. The only other thing I can suggest is use a drill but slightly smaller than the post you want to insert and use that to widen the hole if needed.

There are plenty of other customisers on here who may be able to help too.

Good luck!