Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On this day something happened

I saw this tribute to the victims while I was on a NY tour bus in 2012.

As for the actual day itself, I was too young at the time to understand the gravity of it. I remember waking up on September 12 and instead of my morning cartoons there was news coverage.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Like Griffin has said, I'm surprised it was so relatively early our time - friends talk about watching The West Wing that night and at first thinking it was a stunning twist, the moment was just so surreal.

I personally remember waking up the next morning to headlines of "Attack on America" and thinking it was overblown until I saw the footage.

Classes that day in school were pretty distracted most of the morning - our maths class was basically taken up purely on discussions around what was happening.

I went to America a year later on a school tour and it was clear the wounds were still tender - I stayed for a couple of nights with a Las Vegas firefighter who's crew had volunteered to travel across the country to New York to help - and flight screenings and check ins were unscrupulous.

I personally visited New York years later in 2015 and the WTC plaza was still under construction, but it was pleasing to see that life had returned to the area. Freedom Tower had just opened and I was able to visit the memorial and museum on the grounds of the original towers. It's a stark and humbling place to be.

I was working two jobs at the time and one of them started at 5 am in the morning. I turned on the TV as I got ready for work and saw the footage and thought, "Damn thats one heck of an accident, someone can't fly a plane" and went to work. I worked by myself at a petrol station and the whole time people kept coming in and saying "something whacky is happening in America! and me being in customer service mode was just "yeah, right hey?" but I had no idea as I had no access to any up to date news source.
    When I finished work at 12, I went home and the TV was still broadcasting the same footage and the better half gave me an update as to what was going on.
    Dang thought I. Went off to second job that started at 4pm and people were talking about it all there too.

It was a confusing day for me, but I remember it quite vividly.

When I caught up on everything that was going on, I thought, this will change the world. I also wondered what America would do about it.
    Thinking back on it, GW Bush was in a bad spot. With that many deaths, people wouldn't have accepted him just going "Bummer." The US govt would have had to find an enemy and do something about it. I'm glad I wasn't in his shoes at that time, I don't know what I would do if faced with the same circumstances (although I'm sure I'd have better informational resources if I were the US president).

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I was working two jobs at the time
    If Mt Fuji blew up, would anyone in Tokyo notice? Watch out for that karoshi, Tets!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    If Mt Fuji blew up, would anyone in Tokyo notice? Watch out for that karoshi, Tets!
    Ha ha ha! thanks for the concern, but at that time I was in Australia, studying at university. In my currentl position I made it plainly clear that when there is work to do I don't mind pulling together with the team and doing overtime, but if I have no task to do, then I will not just chill at the office. i see too much inefficieny in Japanese work places and will not be a part of that (whenever possible).

As for your first question, the last eruption of Mt Fuji in 1707 was noticed by those in Edo, now Tokyo. Now I suspect it would be noticed as the big earners, the owners of businesses and politicians would find it inconvenient going to the surrounding area for their hot spring visits.

I woke up to the news on Sept 12 with the radio crew talking about it and not really sure what song to play. I remember laying there thinking what on earth are they talking about and why do they seem so downhearted. I switched the tv on while i was getting ready for work and saw the coverage and couldn't believe what i was seeing. At the time i was thinking about going to the USA to work in the Summer camp system for the next summer so i was genuinely interested in what was happening.

I went through with my plans to go there for the summer of 2002. I'm glad i did as i was there for the 1year anniversary and got to sit and watch the event with my then girlfriend who i met at the camp. I purchased a copy of the USA Today newspaper as a memory moment, which i still have. I returned home in late September 2002 and then returned for an 18month stint working year round at the camp and at the end of August 2003 i went to NY with some friends and we went to the site. Was really eerie standing there looking at the site that had been dug out for clearing and still seeing the massive drapes of covering over the other damaged buildings and just seeing the sheer scale of destruction. The most poignant part for me was standing there and not hearing any horn beeps from cars around that area, as far as i was concerned Lower Manhattan had become a place of peace as a mark of respect for the site.