Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MISB Collectors?

Ah, ok, ok. So you are opening doubles and triples... akin to Iceburn.

I have some MISB stuff as well, for example all the Movie G1 repaints. I've opened up the originally colored ones for my entertainment but again, since I'm engineering focused, a new paint job isn't enough for me to warrant opening it.

I completely understand your comments about nostalgia as well.

However, it does indeed seem that all of our previously-thought-of-as-MISB-collector collectors all do have some doubles....

Do we have any MISB only collectors? Does such a thing exist?

give the thread some time to develop, these MISB'er will come out

benben2142 Guest

I have 3 misb movie legends.

Im a MISB collector, but also open what I want to open.
    Started selling off my new stuff though in order to focus on MISB or AFA graded G1/G2. New stuff takes up too much room to keep sealed, espy when I was collecting Japanese and American releases.

i've been misb for about 3 months now. The "rush" of the first transformation is the reason i started collecting again, but I find that it is better to wait till you are down to use that rush to pick you up.

The thing I like about MISB is that you have what is basically the greatest toy store in your room. In times of need you can crack open that toy that you waited so long for. It can really change your day and can put a little sunshine back in a dark moment.

Obviously this is not true MISB collecting, but the majority of the stuff goes unopened.

is this what you mean by a MISB collector

I'm a MISB collector. I just like the look of them in there packages and they make a nice display plus I cant stand undoing all the grey strips of plastic...lol

benben2142: don't you mean MOSC?

Let's revise some terminology here...

MISP = Mint In Sealed Package (can be box, card, whatever...)
    MISB = Mint In Sealed Box - only applies to Transformers that are packaged in a box that has never opened before. A box being a cube/rectangular shaped piece of cardboard.
    MOSC = Mint On Sealed Card - a carded Transformer that's never been opened before (easy to tell with Hasbro's carded figures since they're not designed to ever be repacked once opened).

See all those unopened carded figures The_Damned has hanging on his walls? They're MOSC. Those unopened boxed figures are MISB. MOSC and MISB are both collectively referred to as MISP.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scattershot
    I'm a MISB collector. I just like the look of them in there packages and they make a nice display plus I cant stand undoing all the grey strips of plastic...lol
    There's actually metal inside those stupid twist ties. I use tin-snips - they free twist-tied figures lickety-split!

JMHO: Display-wise I much prefer looking at a loose collection. To me a MISP collection looks more like a toystore whereas a loose collection actually looks like a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Ninja
    The main reason is nostalgic value to me. I like to peruse my collection from time to time and reminisce about my childhood with these toys but I don't really have the urge to break them out and play with them or display them. I like them to be in original condition that they are in and not deteriorate over time. And yes, I know some or most of these reissues are not the original mould but this is as close as I get to having back what I originally had.
    We all collect G1 figures for nostalgic value (except maybe for benben2142 ) - but to me, having them open and being able to apply their stickers and play with them gives me more nostalgia because I dunno about you, but I always opened and played with my Transformers when I was a kid! Keeping a G1 figure sealed does nothing for my sense of nostalgia as it was something that I would never even fathom of doing as a child. Opening carded figures with a blade to preserve the card?! That was unheard of!

As I mentioned before, I just love playing with my toys... as evident in my photocomics and stop-motion animations.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If you really want to keep all your boxes, you're either gonna need to get some more storage space (and I find it hard enough to find space for the toys, let alone their boxes!) and/or flatten some of the boxes (although that would mean throwing out the insert trays).
    I started doing this about a year ago - I decided the insert trays didn't really add any value to the packaging, and they really were taking up too much damn room. Flattened out, my boxes take up less than a quarter of the space they used to.

There are however just a few boxes I leave intact, since they are quite nice as whole things.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

TheDamn...it was you :P
    hah!! I saw one loose Thundercracker....