Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MISB Collectors?

whoa.......can i come and worship at your shrine of MISB....thats inceredible. Like I said, the greatest toy store, in your own house.

That is truly impressive. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

We all collect G1 figures for nostalgic value (except maybe for benben2142 ) - but to me, having them open and being able to apply their stickers and play with them gives me more nostalgia because I dunno about you, but I always opened and played with my Transformers when I was a kid! Keeping a G1 figure sealed does nothing for my sense of nostalgia as it was something that I would never even fathom of doing as a child. Opening carded figures with a blade to preserve the card?! That was unheard of!

As I mentioned before, I just love playing with my toys... as evident in my photocomics and [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYCqNbzRjg]stop-motion anprime/avatars/madboard03.jpg[/IMG]
    Well each to their own I guess. You get the nostalgic feeling through tactile contact by opening and playing with them. I don't open them because I don't need to do it to get that sense of nostalgia and for other reasons outlined in my original post.

Yeah, I opened and played with my orignal Transformers a lot as a kid. I spent countless hours as a kid transforming them back and forth, doing my version of the cartoon or creating my own adventures.

But I suppose in my adult years, I would think of myself more of a collector now. As a kid, Transformers were toys (my favourite toy) that I played with, to me now they are more like collectibles I enjoy having on display MISB etc than playing with them.

However, I do like a few loose to play around with so not everything I have is MISB etc.

So the distincition is the transition from kid to adult from playtoy to collectible for me. I never kept my Transformers in the box untouched as a kid, as soon as I got one, out of the box/packaging they came to join my growing band of Decepticons/Autobots in their neverending battle.

Quote Originally Posted by hoardz01 View Post
    i've been misb for about 3 months now. The "rush" of the first transformation is the reason i started collecting again, but I find that it is better to wait till you are down to use that rush to pick you up.

The thing I like about MISB is that you have what is basically the greatest toy store in your room. In times of need you can crack open that toy that you waited so long for. It can really change your day and can put a little sunshine back in a dark moment.

Obviously this is not true MISB collecting, but the majority of the stuff goes unopened.
    That's just awesome. I'd SO LOVE to do the same thing, but lack any conscionable level of self control.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    is this what you mean by a MISB collector
    Absolutely!!! Now tell me why!

Quote Originally Posted by hoardz01 View Post
    whoa.......can i come and worship at your shrine of MISB....thats inceredible. Like I said, the greatest toy store, in your own house.
    Agree. And that's one thing I like about the few MISB toys I have - the feeling of being able to look at a toy like it's a new one (even if you've owned it for ages) and the feeling I could open it at some stage (and likely will).

I was speaking to someone today at Toyworld and mentioned this discussion about MISB collectors, he came up with this view that if you never open up and play with the Transformers you collect then in essence you are just buying the box they came in. I'm a great believer in opening and having them transformed a few times but I am not one of these people that continually need to play with my TF's as I'm happy to display them in robot form.

I have enough trouble mustering self control not to open my current MISP Transformers - all of which are doubles of moulds I already own!

if you have seen all my pics you will see that i am not a true misb collector as i do purchase doubles so i can open them.... and i all of my g1 transformers are loose, (well i cant afford mib ones though), for example i love the classic's deluxe s and voyagers so much i eventually purchased doubles so i could have a second set loose and out on display. same goes with the movie transformers i have bought some i could have as loose doubles. i must say it is an exspensive way of collecting.

though i dont know how long i will be able to keep having all these sealed transformers as i am starting to run out of room.

and this concludes chapter 1 on the misb collector.

Let's all head to Bateman's Bay and o...

...actually I can't be bothered to drive that far! (:

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

You can only call it far if you want to drive from here in Perth.