Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MISB Collectors?

Default MISB Collectors?

My love for TFs is all about the transforming... the cleverness, the engineering, etc. So, I've never understood the plight of the MISB collector. I'd love to hear some of what inspires them.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, but it'd be good to have on this fresh, new, minty board.

What you said, jay. It's the cleverness of the toys that grabs me. Which is why I'm more partial to toys with realistic alt modes, and generally dislike electronic gimmicks.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I am also for the design so I open my toys. However what will initially get me to buy the toy will bet the actual character. Having said that I can get really dissapointed if I buy the toy of a character that I like and it turns out to have mediocre design or some aspect that does not appeal to me.
    ________
    Buy glass bongs
    Last edited by kup; 22nd March 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Personally I don't see that there is a lot of difference between something that MIB or has been taken out and transformed a few times in a well looked after home, of course it is to my advantage when buying second hand because people then value thier TF's for a lot less.

I totally agree with you jaydisc. Not just with Transformers, but I like playing with toys - that's why I collect them! I very seldomly keep toys sealed... what's the fun in that? Investment value? Toys appreciate very, very poorly. If I wanted to invest my money, I'd go buy some stock market shares.

I buy toys to play with. Buying a toy that I would never play with - to me - is like buying a book that I'd never intend to read or buying a piece of food that I'd never intend to eat (although I don't know if there's much collectibility in food unless you have it thoroughly well preserved or something ).

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many
    Personally I don't see that there is a lot of difference between something that MIB or has been taken out and transformed a few times in a well looked after home,
    Agreed. I can understand some people wanting to display the Transformers in packaging - and to that end Takara tends to do that a lot better than Hasbro. But keeping it sealed? It's just a piece of freakin' sticky tape. I knew a guy who collected Star Wars Miniatures - which he collected in triplicate, with one set he kept sealed in their individual bags and he would handle the minis and their cards with gloves on because he never wants anyone to have ever touched them. I reminded him that plenty of hands would've already touched these things in the factory in China.

On one hand I wonder if MISP collecting is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder or something related to autism/aspergers... but then, who's to say that loose collecting's that much different? We're probably on a lower part of the spectrum but it's still pretty compulsive.

Are any MISBers gonna chime in here?

I believe S0undwave and Iceburn are both MISBers.

I have a few MISB but that's generally only after I've discovered how much I like the the figure in the first place. Either that or design of the packaging just rocks too much... which till this date hasn't really happened.

those MISB'ers are MAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Are any MISBers gonna chime in here?
    ding dong...did I hear my nick being called??
    *haha* anyways...there are certain of my series collections that will stayed 99% MISB e.g. Binaltech/Alternators, Cybertron, Classics, Star Wars Transformers, 6" Titaniums, 3" Titaniums, Movie

Other series that I've started purchasing mostly loosed or have opened up and played with so far are G1, Energon, Armada, RIDs and 2nd collection of Movie and Classic figures

I can say I've enjoyed both experiences but looked transforming the toys. Some figures I hate, some figures I adore too much but overall, like before...I'm kind of waiting to buy a house to have a room solely for my toys. I guess its there and then where they will be freed from their boxes?

i keep most of the new stuff sealed, no room anymore some i keep sealed cause they look sexy in their packaging eg:Takara stuff

and because i dont play with them like when i was a kid

im not that interested in the design process that much