Thread: Let's talk capsule toys

Default Let's talk capsule toys

So recently I've been on a bit of a capsule toys (gacha) binge. I dunno why.. Actually, I do; they are pretty neat and can be remarkably well designed within their limitations and feel that they aren't appreciated enough.

When I did a search around for information on them, I didn't really find a whole heap. Youtube-wise it primarily consists of :
    "Wow, check out this crazy stuff I bought"
    and it's a whole video of waffling and random things all over the place, with an opening and a quick look then a throw to the side and the next thing.

I thought to myself, gacha deserves better than this. Therefore I have tried to make some more focused videos on them.

Sadly though part of my momentum has dropped due to a computer change (and therefore set-up) and so I'm hoping a bit of dialog with others will rekindle the fire to get my lazy butt back in action.

Here is a link to my playlist below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Q8bk3hvMfqPLkz

And to inspire a bit of er, something, here is a link to Bandai's gacha website, just so people can have a quick browse and see what kind of stuff is around.
    https://gashapon.jp/

That is not all that's about as well, there appears to be a... plethora of companies, some with an online presence, some without, kicking around the place. Some in Japan and some not.

It feels to me like it's a golden age of gacha at the moment not, there are shops set up that have the whole floor space designed for gacha! I went to one place that claimed to have 2200(ish) machines and spent an entire morning walking around it. Only bought one for me though, ha ha ha.

Anyhoo, lets talk capsule toys!

These are cool, but not for me I don't think. Mainly cause I don't have the room and secondly I collect enough plastic already
    I am Definitely interested in seeing more of your videos on them though so consider me subscribed to your channel

Bought a ton of these on my visits to Japan. They had a series of Mario coins, some Monster Hunter and Pokemon ones. I bought the entire series of Danboard ones. Out here in NSW there is a few places to get them, Million Life which does claw machines too. Coco amusements on George St has some, and Gacha Gacha has locations at Hurstville, Centrepoint Westfield and regent place. There is also a Popmart opening in World Square which I think do Gacha.
    ~

I've been to Gacha Gacha at Hurstville. It's near where I live

Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    These are cool, but not for me I don't think. Mainly cause I don't have the room and secondly I collect enough plastic already
    I am Definitely interested in seeing more of your videos on them though so consider me subscribed to your channel
    Cheers, and yes, I too have enough plastic addiction, but I've noticed my Transformer habit dropping off a bit. Theoretically these should be cheaper....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkaris View Post
    Out here in NSW there is a few places to get them, Million Life which does claw machines too. Coco amusements on George St has some, and Gacha Gacha has locations at Hurstville, Centrepoint Westfield and regent place. There is also a Popmart opening in World Square which I think do Gacha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    I've been to Gacha Gacha at Hurstville. It's near where I live
    Interesting to see that gacha specific places are opening up as well around the place. I'm gonna have a look to see what I can find on the googles about the above places.

Growing up in HK in the 80s, the capsule toys were a big part of my childhood

Cool to see dedicated Gacha places here. Haven't visited lately due to covid, but hope to see them.

Something I've been planning and working on for a bit, a gacha shop walkthrough.

Since travel is limited, I thought I would try and share a few places I've found. Sadly the ones closest to where are I live are "popup" shops, i.e they are there for a limited time. Originally I was going to do this video at a different place that I could drop into on the way home, but they were due to close about a week after I got the courage to ask permission to film like a maniac there.

So then I went to the next closest one in Yokohama, which wasn't going to close, and scheduled in some time to do the video. However, it turns out that they were going to close three weeks after I did the filming. So by the time I managed to put the video together and everything, there were just a few days before the place closed. Damn popups.

There is another place that just had a refresh nearby, so I might go hassle them next.

Was trawling around my usual haunt and a local gacha gacha no mori that closed down has re-opened. Under a different name, in exactly the same spot. The shop looks slightly smaller. But I think it's just the way its set up.

The one in Yokohama (in the video above) has Also had a refresh. It's turned into a Bandai Gashapon shop. I've not been there yet, I hope they don't juts have only Bandai stuff.