Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Words of warning to potential MP-2 buyers

I've contacted RK in the hopes that they'll be willing to send a replacement, and I've received a reply asking for photos, "even if [they aren't] clear." That'll have to wait until tonight, but I have left feedback with TakTom, so thanks for the translation Gok. Sadly though I doubt they're going to care about it, if they did these sorts of QC issues wouldn't occur.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

You definitely should be entitled a replacement whether it is from RK or TT.

Ah crap now I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Is it possible to start petition to indicate we're not satisfied w/ their QC lately? Not a hate fest, just to indicate our disenchantment?

As for me, and I'm sure others, working through an unrecognisable feedback form is pretty tedious.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Yeah I have been extremely dissapointed with Takara Tomy recently. Their Henkei have very questionable QC issues and my Bluestreak arrived with very wet paint which left my finger tips all shiny by the end of the first transformation and the silver looking grimy and dirty

The roof also had scratches and things so now I am forced to buy a Universe figure in order to repair him

Despite them still having much better thought out color schemes and clearly more money invested on the paint finishes for the figures, their now shameful lack of QC control has left me less willing to import Henkei instead of Universe locally. If there is something wrong with the Universe figure at least I can return it without much of a hassle.

Just a thought...

My understanding of the situation isn't that great... but.

It seems that it might just be a case of too many transformers toys been made and not enough quality toy making factories available.
    I remember how other toy lines had problems with paint qc (lead levels in toys) that were resolved with one, or more, people in power killing themselves. So what if the 'good' factories had to take over the burden of making these toys as well?? It just seems that a petition would do little to help. Hasbro were told about MP-04 in the question and answer thing last month, surely TT could investigate if they cared... I think that like Hasbro they will only do something about this if it starts to eat into the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    Just a thought...

My understanding of the situation isn't that great... but.

It seems that it might just be a case of too many transformers toys been made and not enough quality toy making factories available.
    I remember how other toy lines had problems with paint qc (lead levels in toys) that were resolved with one, or more, people in power killing themselves. So what if the 'good' factories had to take over the burden of making these toys as well?? It just seems that a petition would do little to help. Hasbro were told about MP-04 in the question and answer thing last month, surely TT could investigate if they cared... I think that like Hasbro they will only do something about this if it starts to eat into the bottom line.
    The problem appears to be that they outsource manufacturing to Chinese factories and Tak-Tom (apparently since the merger) has become rather laxed about properly inspecting the QC of products coming from these factories.

I have not noticed sloppiness due to manufacturing cost cutting as its very evident with Hasbro, its more about TakTom relaxing their efforts that prevent defective products hitting the toy shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The problem appears to be that they outsource manufacturing to Chinese factories and Tak-Tom (apparently since the merger) has become rather laxed about properly inspecting the QC of products coming from these factories.

I have not noticed sloppiness due to manufacturing cost cutting as its very evident with Hasbro, its more about TakTom relaxing their efforts that prevent defective products hitting the toy shelves.
    I understand the point you are making but with the recently re-released MP-04; Don't know how many were made and mine was okay (not great, but it had all the parts/ no serious defects etc), but from what I read on numerous sites online etc I would hazard a guess that around half had either missing parts, non working/ broken parts or badly applied paintwork. Now this is a AUS$200/$180(1st sale)/$170(the other sale I remember) toy.

Thundercracker... I don't own it, some site told me that it was around US$50 retail... I'd say that between 90 and 100% contained at least one major defect.

Now we aren't talking about a lack of qc. We are talking about no qc whatsoever... no-one is checking the final product. Well, either that or, they think that they can get away with shipping broken/ not working or defective toys. Because the collectors market, in general, is so scared of missing out on anything.

Are you sure the defects with the MP Ultra Magnus reissue is a common occurence or were you just unlucky in getting a defective one? *shrug*

Cos I got two Animated Blitzwings (bought one then refunded it and got another) and both have defective canopy tabs, but other people have said that they don't have this problem - so it might be a freak occurence (and I was lucky enough to get both of them - from different stores in different suburbs!). Whereas Henkei Skywarp and Thundercracker seem to have some almost universal problems which almost every owner has encountered, so that does seem to be a more universal QC problem. Likewise everyone who has Deluxe Animated Bumblebee has found the drill weapons unable to fit in flush into the forearms, so that's a universal manufacturing flaw.

So yeah... I'm curious to hear from other reissue MP Magnus owners about the quality of their figures.

Also, it could be that the MP Convoy/Magnus mould has seriously deteriorated through multiple uses - remember that this would be the sixth time that they've reused that cast. The history of this mould's use would be:
    1. MP-01 Convoy (2004)
    2. 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime (2004)
    3. MP-02 Ultra Magnus (2004)
    4. Transformers The Movie 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime (2006)
    5. MP-04 Convoy Perfect Edition (2007)
    6. MP-02 Ultra Magnus, reissue (2008)

So it could be that they've just used this mould/cast too many times and it's suffered from degradation.

bad paint finishes have nothing to do with mold degradation and surface 'warping' would have to be consistent and 100% the same on everyone for it to be the mold rather than lack of QC.