• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - SKIDS (Masterpiece)

Default Toy Review - SKIDS (Masterpiece)

???????? - Indy Heat
    Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - Generation 1
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - MP-53
    Released here - N/A
    Approximate Retail Price - ?10780 (?$133)
    Approximate Size - 16cm to top of head, 17cm to top of windscreen
    Allegiance - Cybertron
    Alt-mode - Honda City R
    Main Features/Gimmicks - weapons can be stored in boot
    Main Colours - red w/ blue and silver accents
    Main Accessories - "Component X liquid nitrogen rifle, twin electron blaster

PHOTOS

Thoughts

Transformers Masterpiece started off as toys that had a blend of G1 toy and cartoon design aesthetics. However, it has progressively leaned ever more towards cartoon screen designs, leading to increasingly complex and expensive toys. MP Skids is a shift back towards the the hybrid toy x toon aesthetic; although it feels like it's about midway between the level of the older MP Cars (Lambor, Wheeljack, Datsuns etc.) and the newer MP Cars (Sunstreaker, Hound etc.). I personally prefer the blend of toy and toon and was never a huge fan of trying to make toys achieve a slavish level of toon-likeness, especially when other elements of the toy's design and playability are compromised. On the whole, I am really pleased with how TakaraTOMY have moved onto a new direction of toy x toon likeness. This toy does still have one faux vehicle kibble in robot mode though; false boot door halves on the back of the lower legs. Although it doesn't look bad nor does it really adversely affect the toy's design.

I only have two gripes about this figure. Firstly, too much blue. Yes, I know that it's the same as the G1 Sunbow cartoon model, but given that this toy's design is a hybrid of toy and toon, I would have preferred silver thighs like the toy. I also would have liked to see a swappable toy-accurate head. I suspect that the upper legs were made blue to not only make it look more like the G1 cartoon, but also to further differentiate this toy from MP Reboost. I would have also liked to see this toy come with the faux missile launcher accessory that Reboost has. I don't expect the scooter, as G1 Skids never had it, but the faux launcher would've been G1 toy-accurate.

Objectively speaking, Reboost is better value for money given that he has more paint ops and accessories at the same price as Skids. But of course, Skids is an original G1 character and a must-have for anyone looking to complete their G1 MP collection. Great toy!
    Last edited by Tetsuwan Convoy; 16th December 2021 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added English next to the Japanese

What is the purple slug?

Beautiful figure and fun to play with!

So nice to have a MP that you don't have to reserve half a day to transform. And also one whose plastic feels pretty solid, like the older MP cars (my finely cracked Hound, MP-45 Bee, MP-52 Starscream and Thundercracker make me almost expect a crack now - looking at you Skywarp...)

My copy is good quality wise - tiny paint scuff on a rear light, tiny errant red dot at the petrol tank cover, and slightly loose sideways hips. Otherwise firm to very firm joints (a nice relief from the MP-52 balancing game).

If you do the WFC Kingdom Galvatron shoulder rotation fix, you can give Skids cartoon-like shoulders (no red stripes and situated lower and more forward). But that would make him more blue .

I love this figure. Sure he was obscure in the cartoon; but I spent so much time admiring him and his Car brethren in the 1985 catalog so having a Masterpiece Skids really scratches an itch for me.

I’m perfectly fine with the blue thighs; my G1 Skids came with few stickers (when I finally got him as an adult) so the silver thigh stickers don’t especially make a difference to me. I’m fine with his colour balance.

I do agree it would have been good to see all 3 silver chrome guns that Reboost came with here, so we can have the toy gun options. I might just give Skids one of Reboost’s guns anyway!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    What is the purple slug?
    It's a yeerk accessory from Animorphs. So Transformer related at least.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

And a deep cut reference to the Marvel UK's Time Wars where Skids was found lost in limbo with a parasite attached to him.

I think he looks good, and he's one of my childhood Autobot Cars so the MP version has a place in my collection - but I'm holding off opening in case a MP53+ comes along that is more toy accurate (meanwhile next year's Legacy figure will kinda fill that gap too)

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Sure he was obscure in the cartoon; but I spent so much time admiring him and his Car brethren in the 1985 catalog so having a Masterpiece Skids really scratches an itch for me.
    You just reminded me that I thought the exact same thing back then. Of the Autobot Cars on that snowy mountain, I thought Skids was a good looking Transformer and wished I had it. And now I have realised something more; the addition of MP Skids completes my snowy mountain cars. I now have each of them in one or more pretty faithful (G1 toy or G1 cartoon) representations - Masterpiece, original G1 toy, WFC Earthrise/Kingdom or Studio Series 86. (Yeah, I know you guys have all the G1 cars but I'm happy with this milestone .) I've never owned a Skids in any form before now.