Default Toy Review - REBOOST

????? Reboost
    Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - ?????? Car Robot
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - Remould and redeco of MP-53 Skids
    Wave - MP-54
    Released here - N/A
    Approximate Retail Price - ?10780 (?$133)
    Approximate Size - 16cm to top of head, 17cm to top of windscreen
    Allegiance - ?????? Diaclone
    Alt-mode - Honda City R
    Main Features/Gimmicks - scooter and weapons can be stored in boot
    Main Colours - blue w/ red and black accents
    Main Accessories - Component X (scooter drone), holomatter avatar figurine, laser gun, rocket pod, twin electron blaster

PHOTOS

Thoughts

Objectively speaking, Reboost is a much nicer toy than MP Skids. Based on the red sunroof version of the Diaclone Honda City R toy, Reboost is unburdened with having to look like a simplified Floro Dery cartoon design, and is free to exude the glory of toy-accuracy. Not only does it bring a more diverse colour palette to this mould, but it boasts more accessories giving you more bang for your buck (or yeet for your Yen?). The Component X scooter drone is quite a nice bonus, and stows well in the boot.

I'm not a fan of the holomatter avatar pilot being clear. Doesn't canonically make sense. tfwiki describes it as, "a transparent version of the Spike Witwicky figure included with Hound," but it's actually a significantly shrunken down version of Hound's Spike figure; about the same size as the humans who came with MP Convoy Ver 3.0. The holomatter avatar fits on Component X well enough, but I struggled to get him to sit inside Reboost himself (which he's meant to do). Overall a really nice figure that offers superior value for money.
    Last edited by Tetsuwan Convoy; 16th December 2021 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added English next to the Japanese

The hologram dude is the same mold as MP-45 Bumblebee Spike. Be careful as this accessory can break - I've seen an instance of it with Reboost, my Bee Spike broke and I've seen another Spike break on youtube. The area of breakage is at the stalk under the upper torso that joins the ball for the ball-socket joint. My Spike broke trying to twist the waist and the ball was stuck so I twisted the stalk off. He also broke at one hip stalk (again, the ball was held too tightly in the socket). In both sites the balls were left jammed in the sockets, which would ordinarily mean gluing the joints together for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Objectively speaking, Reboost is a much nicer toy than MP Skids. Reboost is unburdened with having to look like a simplified Floro Dery cartoon design, and is free to exude the glory of toy-accuracy.
    Toy accuracy isn’t objectively better. That’s your preference. Nor is a “more diverse” colour plate objectively better. Again, that’s your preference.

Though yes, more accessories does provide better value.

Gok, can you please edit & change the Japanese text to English so everyone can understand it? Thank you.
    Last edited by dirge; 10th December 2021 at 08:01 AM.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    The hologram dude is the same mold as MP-45 Bumblebee Spike. Be careful as this accessory can break - I've seen an instance of it with Reboost, my Bee Spike broke and I've seen another Spike break on youtube. The area of breakage is at the stalk under the upper torso that joins the ball for the ball-socket joint. My Spike broke trying to twist the waist and the ball was stuck so I twisted the stalk off. He also broke at one hip stalk (again, the ball was held too tightly in the socket). In both sites the balls were left jammed in the sockets, which would ordinarily mean gluing the joints together for repair.
    Yeah unfortunately this happened to the ball joint for the arm of my pilot guy, but thankfully I was able to fix it easily enough with superglue and baking soda. How it works is you want to dip one end in the baking soda and the other with a just a touch of the superglue. DO NOT try to mix the baking soda and superglue together on the one end as it will dry and go rock solid almost instantly. As this figure is clear anyway the repair won't look too tacky thank goodness. Shame that it's necessary though.

That aside, quite love Reboost over Skids personally. Despite all his cartoon appearances I just don't have much attachment to the blue fella. As noted, it's great that Reboost comes with a scooter, pilot (who sometimes breaks, grr), extra weapon and painted faux windows on the back of the legs. Transformation is very intuitive and doesn't at all feel like anything is going to break on me. I'd have preferred that the pilot looked more like the vintage Diaclone ones personally.
    Anyway, great figure and well worth the money, despite the flimsy pilot - remember Skids doesn't have one at all, so this is a bonus.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.