Thread: Animated's Derrick J Wyatt has died

Default Animated's Derrick J Wyatt has died

Very few people within Transformers gets to be remembered long after their involvement in a particular series, and when you think of Animated, there was really just one person behind it - lead character designer, Derrick J Wyatt, and according to some fansites this morning, he died suddenly earlier this month (I couldn't see what was the cause).
    Derrick was also one of those people who was a fan himself, and involved himself with the fandom (online, publications, and conventions), making him one of the more invested people behind a series, to the extent that Animated was one of three or four enduring Transformers series (lived on beyond its release).

As someone who has been to several conventions he was at (he would attend BotCon as a fan if he wasn't an official guest), he was a really nice, friendly guy, who loved his work as much as we loved him doing it.

Sad news. Definitely leaves behind a beloved legacy for this franchise and fandom.

Very sad news. Thanks for TF Animated. 'Til all are one.

Very sad, I couldn't believe it as I only recently started following him on IG. Animated, Ben 10 Omniverse, Teen Titans and Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated were all late childhood shows of mine and very cherised, his design work and art style have surely inspired so much for cartoons.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I still haven't found out what he died from.
    Apparently he was 49, so I wonder if it was covid related, as he was a big guy, and it seems that covid hits people worse who are overweight.

Terrible shame, he certainly did change the Transformers line and made one of the truly different shows/series as well.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

He was the driving force behind one of those huge shifts Transformers undergoes from time to time.
    I think his work has made a lasting impact that will continue to inspire future Transformers characters and endeavours. Rest in peace Derrick.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

It was a shock to hear this news, but Derrick has had a lasting impact on our franchise and as Bidoofdude said - the childhood of a lot of younger fans.

Wishing well to his family and friends.