Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP 2022

Depeche Mode founding member/keyboardist Andy Fletcher died Friday aged 60 apparently of natural causes.

Tommy Dysart died earlier this month.
    Not a familiar name, but I think everyone in Australia over the age of at least 30 would know the commercials - "G O G G O"... for yellow pages (and Shannons insurance), and "Is Don, Is Good", for Don's Smallgoods.

He was in an early 80s Childrens TV drama series called "Come Midnight Monday" which was a childhood favourite of mine. I still have some of it recorded on a Beta tape!

An obscure death last week - Monty Norman, who composed the iconic James Bond theme.

And not so obscure - Shinzo Abe, who was I think the longest serving Prime Minister in Japan, so he was well known globally. He had to resign two years ago due to health reasons, and was helping someone campaign last weekend, when someone shot him twice with a home-made gun (guns are extremely rare in Japan, unless you are military or a crime gang).
    It was a real shame too, because it all had to do with a cult/church that the killer's mother had given all of the family's money and assets to, and he felt that Abe was part of the problem, as he had sometimes been a speaker at their functions (as were some of his relatives). And he was only killed because he was an easier target, after the killer gave up trying to kill the head of the church/cult in Japan.

David Warner has passed on too.
    British actor, did a couple of film roles, but was really impressive as a voice actor. If anyone remembers the old Baldur's Gate 2 game, the voice of Irenicus is dead.

"A couple of film roles" is a bit of an understatement... he's like in everything. I think the first thing I saw him in was TMNT2 and that's probably way down on his resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    David Warner has passed on too.
    British actor, did a couple of film roles, but was really impressive as a voice actor. If anyone remembers the old Baldur's Gate 2 game, the voice of Irenicus is dead.
    For a second there, I thought it was another cricket dying in a short space of time...

I didn't immediately recall the name, but when I read a few of his roles, I knew exactly who it was... and I think the roles I remember most include Tron (the main villain), Time Bandits, Star Trek (multiple roles, but Chancellor Gorkon in ST6 was one that stood out for me), one of the original TMNT movies, Titanic (the one who locked up Leonardo's character hoping he would go down with the ship), and had quite a few roles in Doctor Who as well (most being voice roles).
    But Tron will be the one I remember him best from... the perfect villain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Bernard Cribbins passed away 3 days ago
    Ah, another name I didn't recognise, but the face I certainly do - Donna Noble's grandfather in Doctor Who.

RIP Nichelle Nichols, most famous for playing Lt. Nyota Uhura in the original Star Trek series and movies.