Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RIP 2022

For the oldies out there... Judith Durham died this week. She was the singer for the Australian group "The Seekers"... who were around for almost 60 years (since the 60s), and had their first "farewell tour" in the 90s, but just kept on performing.

I have fond memories of listening to the Seekers during long car trips to the Southern Highlands as a kid. Rest in peace, Judith.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Olivia Newton-John earlier in the week was a big loss for those of us who grew up in the 80s and lived through a lot of her work (songs and Grease repeats on TV).
    She had been battling cancer for the third time, and I guess it was just too much this time.

And for the football fans, Paul Green was a premiership winning coach (and former player), and died the other day a few months short of 50. Details seem to be scarce, but since most news programs are putting up contact numbers for those considering suicide, that's what I'm guessing it was... which is strange if true, as he had a lot going for him, with a long history in football, and it looked like he was going to be on the coaching staff at the new QLD NRL team next year.
    I guess sometimes you never really know until it is too late.

Big one this time - Queen Elizabeth is dead. I'm not sure what the cause of death was besides '96 years old with myriad health issues'. Charles is King.

As someone who's old enough to remember singing God Save the Queen as our national anthem, I'm glad that we don't have to sing God Save the King. Although I can still sing God Save the Queen (and thus also God Save the King) thanks to that song being drilled into my head when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

For our younger members who may not know, Advance Australia Fair became our national anthem from 1974-75. In 1977 a plebiscite was held to choose Australia's new anthem, and Advance Australia Fair won the vote. However, it would not be reinstated as our anthem until 1984; so until then, we had to sing God Save the Queen at school assemblies. And even when it was reinstated, there was a brief period where we sang both anthems. Yeah, Advance Australia Fair has been our anthem for as long as the Transformers brand has been around.

Wake me up when we become a Republic.

RIP John Hamblin. He was my favourite Play School host when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Wake me up when we become a Republic.
    I'm proud to say that I voted "YES" on the Republic Referendum back in '99. Unfortunately the majority of the population voted "NO."

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm proud to say that I voted "YES" on the Republic Referendum back in '99. Unfortunately the majority of the population voted "NO."
    It's a shame to see a rise in public support for the monarchy with Liz's passing, but hopefully it is only a temporary boost.

Sorry to see the passing of acting legend Angela Lansbury

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Sorry to see the passing of acting legend Angela Lansbury
    Me too. As a kid I rather enjoyed watchiing Murder, She Wrote. with my Mum