View Poll Results: Worth grabbing Coronation Starscream?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am 100% grabbing one for my collection

4 30.77%
  • Yeah, but only if he was cheaper

7 53.85%
  • Maybe, depends if I want him or not.

1 7.69%
  • No. I like my Starscream and won't be replacing him.

0 0%
  • I have no intentions of picking this figure up.

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Coronation Starscream (Studio Series)

Default Toy Review - Coronation Starscream (Studio Series)

Studio Series Coronation Starscream
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - Partial retool/redeco of Earthrise Starscream
    Wave - 8
    Released here - FEB 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - AU $89
    Approximate Size - Whatever Earthrise Starscream's size was
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - F-15 Eagle
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Same as Earthrise Starscream
    Main Colours - Grey, red, blue
    Main Accessories - 2x null ray Cannons PLUS 2 null-rays (Coronation), cape, crown, throne, "All Hail Starscream" backdrop

Robot Mode
    IMG_5928.JPG
    As he is a slight retool/redeco of Earthrise Starscream, there isn't a lot to say about the Robot Mode that hasn't been said already. The biggest difference is his hands, which can now open and close. He can still hold on to weapons with a 5mm port, but it's a bit more loose. Outside of that he has some slight deco changes (lacking some paint applications but adding others, and using different shades of certain colours), and some pins have been replaced with screws.
    IMG_5924.JPG
    IMG_5925.JPG
    But what is the main attraction to this figure are the accessories he now comes with. While he still does come with his regular null ray cannons, he now comes with special null rays that attach to his shoulders, a crown that fits on his head, and a cape that attaches to his back. This makes him the first non-masterpiece Starscream toy to be based off his Coronation (yeah there's a few other Starscream toys that have his crown, but lack his cape or coronation pads, and this is obviously excluding all the merchandise that has a non-transforming toy based off his coronation).
    With his new hands he is able to do the classic Coronation pose and, well that's pretty much it.
    IMG_5926.JPG
    IMG_5930.JPG
    Another accessory that is included is his throne, which is based off the nemesis command chair. While Starscream can just barely sit on it (without his cape mind you), Siege Megatron fits just fine.
    IMG_5927.JPG
    If you're not using any of Starscreams accesories, you can store them at the back of his throne. I don't know if there's a spot where the crown is meant to be, but I usually just put him in the back behind the cape.

Alt Mode
    IMG_5929.JPG
    Yeah, he still transforms into an F-15 Eagle. Outside of what I mentioned about the robot mode with a slight deco change, it's pretty much the same as his Earthrise toy.

Verdict
    With this being nothing more than an upgrade/accessory pack of Earthrise Starscream, you get what you expect here. Recommended only if you're someone who wants a King Starscream. If you want a regular Starscream, I recommend tracking down the Earthrise toy.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    I don't know if there's a spot where the crown is meant to be, but I usually just put him in the back behind the cape.
    There's a hollow peg-esque type thing protruding near the centre top (above where the normal null rays can be stored). The crown popped out the first few times I tried but stayed put thereafter. It's also illustrated in the instructions.

My nickname for this guy is Barbie-starscream and I mean this in the nicest way possible. I do hope the popularity of Coronation Starscream paves the way for more accessory-laden releases. With the rising cost of everything this could be a not-so-expensive way for Hasbro to bring value to consumers as RRP inflates.

Here are my comparison pictures between ER and SS86 Starscream. I knew of the lighter blue, the removed tailfin stripe, the reduced painting at the knees (knee cap exhausts are still painted), the slightly different red, the larger insignia and the gunmetal grey panels on the top of the plane, but seeing him in hand I have discovered a few more differences. The face is actually slightly darker (gunmetal grey vs silvery grey) and the helmet is very dark grey instead of black. The chest fans have been painted grey on the inside of the recesses, instead of red. The body red is slightly duller and is the same paint for the eyes (ER's eyes are the same brighter red used for his body). But the wing stripes are slightly brigter red. The light grey plastic seems the same.

Comparison shot with MP-52 Starscream. The head colouring, lighter blue, grey chest fan recesses, grey jet mode top panels and removed knee paint makes SS86 look like another example of mini-MP aesthetic.

Last edited by Skyfire; 15th March 2022 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    Released here - FEB 2022
    Which stores have this toy in stock?

There's a part that doesn't sit flush in jet mode. I'm still trying to figure out why. I had a look on youtube and this anomaly is present on other copies too. The nose/canopy part seems to spring downwards more than on my Thundercracker or Skywarp, which raises that back part.

Gok, I haven't seen this anywhere else in Aus so far except for Target when it came out on 22 Feb (and sold out quickly) then came back very briefly as low stock on 5 Mar (when I bought it during Target's sale). I'm sure all the usual suspects will get him in, and Target again.

Lint's comment about Barbie made me think of The Simpsons and Malibu Stacy with a new hat - Malibu Starscream with a new crown .

And a cape
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 16th March 2022 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Which stores have this toy in stock?
    Target had it, but was online only, so it is in the country, and available to any retailer that wants it... but very few sell LDRs on a regular basis, leaving us with places like Amazon Australia as the best source for some of those harder to find "regular retail" toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    There's a part that doesn't sit flush in jet mode. I'm still trying to figure out why. I had a look on youtube and this anomaly is present on other copies too. The nose/canopy part seems to spring downwards more than on my Thundercracker or Skywarp, which raises that back part.
    I was bracing myself for this problem, but was presently surprised to discover that all the panels on mine sit flush. <shrugs>

Although mine does have a QC issue with the red paint on the shoulders. It looks chipped, but it was already like this when I opened it. But this is a relatively minor issue and much easier to fix than a panel not sitting flush.

w/ coronation kit

I like how the throne is able to store all of Corona Starscream's accessories.

This is actually my first Corona Starscream. I never got MP-11 (but did get MP Sunstorm instead). I also don't have Siege or Earthrise Starscream (I do have the Siege Rainmakers and Gens Selects G2 Sandstorm); so this toy doesn't have that "Malibu Stacey with a new crown" feel to me. Objectively speaking, I don't think that this set is really worth the Leader Class price point. 50% of what you pay covers the Voyager Class Starscream figure, that's fine... but the other 50% is for the kit and plastic throne. They're really nice accessories, but I don't feel it's worth $45~50. This is yet another Leader Class toy that's really just an accessorised Voyager; and like most of the others, not really worth full RRP (Siege Ultra Magnus being an exception to me).

I'm happy with my purchase because I don't own MP-11 or ER Starscream; I don't know if I'd feel as satisfied if I owned either one of those other figures. And even if you don't own MP11/ER Screamer, you might want to consider getting a non-transforming version, like the R.E.D. Series figure. Cos it's not as if Starscream ever transforms in the TFTM coronation scene. For these reasons I would vote "Only if" in the worth buying poll.

This figure looks awesome, but damn I really only want to buy it on heavy discount or clearance. I have Earthrise Starscream already and he's great, but not quite enough to double dip at the Leader pricepoint. It'll never happen but I'd like to see just a set of the pieces on Pulse or whatever, or that they had gone with the dead dark grey colour scheme from the movie to help make it a better purchase for fans that already bought in on the Earthrise figure.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Guy Got released in Japan on the weekend and I got mine delivered on Saturday. I like it. Is it a must have? Oh goodness me no. I really like the jet mode of this toy, robot mode however is a tad lacking, I still don't feel like it is that much of an upgrade from the Robotmasters ones I got many years ago.
    I did have the original voyager figure, but the moment I saw the rumours of Coronation Starscream, I sold it it off for a decent amount and ordered this one. So I think you should either have one or the other, but not both.

I appreciate the subtly different colours on it, such as the slightly muted red and the the slightly squished looking Decepticon logo.

The accessories of course are what make this guy. The cape has a bit of "playability" to it as well. At first the off centre back plug had me a bit baffled, but then it hit me. When the cape is folded up, it is the everday walking around home cape, then when you unfold it, its the raising my arm and flapping my cape around version. Very nice. The shoulder pads looks great and the new guns attach well. The crown also sticks pretty nicely to his noggin'.

The throne... You know I don't think I recall Starscream having time to sit down TBH... But the good thing is the throne looks like it could be any old Decepticon leadership chair, so it fits nicely as a chair for Galvatron/Lord Zarak and anyone else I see fit. The way star screams crith flap works, makes the chair a bit.... Basic Instict-esque.

Not too sure if all this empty PLastic makes it a leader level figure though, but I will say that the extra plastic is better value than Optimus' trailer.