• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 20.00%

Thread: Toy Review - RATCHET (Studio Series Bumblebee)

Default Toy Review - RATCHET (Studio Series Bumblebee)

AUTOBOT RATCHET
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Hypo-line - Bumblebee
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 15
    Released here - ??? 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - $35
    Approximate Size - 13.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian armoured transport
    Main Features/Gimmicks - (see accessories)
    Main Colours - white with red accents
    Main Accessories - rifle

VEHICLE MODE

Ratchet transforms into a pretty sweet scifi-looking armoured transport. It has a prominent "rover-esque" cockpit and I do like how the hubcaps are painted. The mould has some pretty nice detailing sculpted into it, especially on the rear, but it doesn't pop out due to the surfaces being almost entirely white. I feel like this mould would look a lot nicer if it had more paint apps, but I suppose the Deluxe point budget didn't allow for it. Overall it's a great looking Cybertronian mode that is immediately identifiable as Ratchet.

ROBOT MODE

As with Brawn and Wheeljack, Ratchet enjoys the advantage of being based on a screen model that never had a vehicle mode. This has allowed designers greater liberty with creating a vehicle mode that has minimal impact on the look of the robot, allowing it to look pretty accurate to the screen model, although the main deviation are the colour of the hands; they are red in the movie but grey on the toy. There are also fewer red accents on the toy compared to the screen model, but that's likely down to budget restrictions.

The light piped eyes on this figure are amazing. I love how they've even sculpted internal details inside the eyes themselves; you can see the lens and diaphragm shutters (or "irises") inside each optic.

The rifle can also be attached to Ratchet's back.

OVERALL

The inaccurately coloured hands may bother some people, but it's fine with me. Maybe because this version of Ratchet only appeared so briefly (the black hands on Studio Series Bumblebee Optimus Prime was more bothersome to me). The toy is a bit too white and could do with more reds to break it up, but overall it is a very nice looking and solid figure in both modes. Recommended.

I couldn't follow the transformation instructions for the life of me and had to go to Youtube.
    It's a nice compact figure but I reckon I'll be painting the hands.

And I did!

Quote Originally Posted by snaketales View Post
    And I did!
    Looks great!

Got my figure today and whew lads. A cool design compromised by almost unbelievably poor QC. The figure is light enough that I don't think the criminally floppy joints will matter too much, but it doesn't feel good to handle. Coming off Studio Series Soundwave, which is a rock solid figure made of dense plastic, it feels like an entirely different company made Ratchet.