Thread: JUNE 2022 Transformers comics and books

Default JUNE 2022 Transformers comics and books

Transformers comics and books for JUNE 2022, with cover images and details from here.

Transformers: Beast Wars #17
    (W) Erik Burnham (A) Josh Burcham (CA) John Yurcaba (CA) Andrea Bell (CA) Kelly Deng
    Finale! How will Optimus and Megatron defeat their strongest foe to date? The Vok. Will their rivalry get in the way or will they put everything aside to save them and their fellow Cybertronians!

Last Bot Standing #2
    (W) Nick Roche (A) E. J. Su (CA) Nick Roche
    After ages of isolation, the Last Bot meets with the Visitors, the last straggling survivors of a dying race and the greatest threat Donnokt’s ever seen. But how will the locals react to not only mysterious Visitors from the stars but also a robot in disguise in their midst?

Transformers Special
    (W) Brian Ruckley (A) Various (CA) Anna Malkova (CA) Angel Hernandez
    The thrilling conclusion to the saga that started in Transformers (2019) #1! The Decepticons have the upper hand. Cybertron is falling. And Optimus Prime has an imploder-possibly the most dangerous Cybertronian-built weapon in history-to his head. This is the Autobots last stand. But what does triumph look like in a desperate situation? The War for Cybertron may end here, but the Autobots and Decepticons aren’t done yet!
    Recent and Upcoming TPBs & Books.
    -- Transformers Beast Wars Vol 1 SC - IDW 160 pages (was 144 pages) (issues 1-6) - MAR 22nd 2022 (was DEC 14th 2021, then JAN 4th 2022, then FEB 8th) (digital release MAR 23rd 2022 - was OCT 27th 2021, then JAN 26th 2022)
    -- IDW Collection Phase 3 Vol 2 HC - IDW 384 pages (Till All Are One #9–12, Optimus Prime #1–6, Lost Light #1–7) - APRIL 5th (was MARCH 29th) (digital release APR 6th)
    -- Transformers 2019 Vol 5 - Horrors Near and Far HC - IDW 296 pages (Transformers #31–36, Wreckers: Tread and Circuits #1–4, 2021 Annual, 2021 Halloween Special) - JUNE 7th (was MAY 24th) (digital release JUNE 8th)
    -- Licensed Transformers 2023 Wall Calendar - featuring "Evergreen" designs and includes a poster (has Nth American significant dates) - JUNE 14th
    -- Transformers Beast Wars Vol 2 SC - IDW 144 pages (issues 7-12) - JUNE 28th (digital release yet to be announced)
    -- Transformers King Grimlock HC - IDW 128 pages (all 5 issues) - JUNE 28th (digital release yet to be announced)
    -- Transformers Shattered Glass SC - IDW 128 pages (all 5 issues) - JULY 26th (digital release yet to be announced)
    -- The Art and Making of Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy HC - VIZ Media 192 pages - SEPT 13th (digital release unlikely)
    -- IDW Collection Phase 3 Vol 3 HC - IDW 400? pages (Revolutionaries #5–8, Lost Light #8–12, Optimus Prime #7–10, Annual 2017, Salvation) - SEPT 27th (digital release yet to be announced)
    -- Transformers Beast Wars Vol 3 SC - IDW 128? pages (issues 13-17, Annual 2022) - OCT 4th (digital release yet to be announced)
    -- Transformers Last Bot Standing SC - IDW 136 pages (all 4 issues) - OCT 25th (digital release yet to be announced)
    -- Transformers 2019 Vol 6 - Wars End HC - IDW 304 pages (Transformers #37–43, War’s End #1–4, Fate of Cybertron) - NOV 1st (digital relea yet to be announced)
    March 2022 comics and books

April 2022 comics and books

May 2022 comics and books
    Last edited by griffin; 20th March 2022 at 03:54 PM.

A few notes for the newest month of pre-orders.

- four new items have been added to the upcoming books listing to take us up to November (Phase 3 Vol 3, BW Vol 3, 2019 Vol 6 and Last Bot Standing), which only leaves a month after that for any yet-to-be-revealed physical TPB/HCs from IDW (due to the license ending at the end of 2022).

- I would have to guess that there would be a Phase 3 Vol 4 HC to come, to include the remaining issues from their first universe, but they are running out of time to get it released, as Vol 3 is intended for September, leaving them with just 3 months to release Vol 4. With IDW's products being consistently delayed by 6-12 months in most cases, I would have to hope that they are planning to use the rest of this year to focus on catching up and completing their publications on-time instead of pushing out new content, as their license may not allow them to release anything beyond December 2022, which could prevent the release of delayed TPB/HCs, even if they had them solicited several months earlier in the Previews pre-order listings. It would also mean that if they release any new single-issue content beyond about September, we probably won't see a TPB of it, as they wouldn't have enough time to catch up to produce it, and have enough time to allow for sales of the regular issues before releasing a TPB (so that it doesn't encourage people to choose the cheaper TPB option, leaving dead stock for comic stores to deal with later).

- Volume 6 TPB of the 2019 IDW universe notes that it contains a special issue called "Fate of Cybertron", which could be the "Special" listed for release in June.

- Because there was no regular Transformers issue listed for June, I only just noticed that the May pre-order listing says that issue 43 is the last regular issue, and it is a double-sized issue to lead into a special conclusion issue (which probably would be the "Fate of Cybertron" issue in the TPB Vol 6).

- The Beast Wars vol 3 TPB notes issues 13-17 and an Annual, but this is not reflected by the page count listed on Amazon, as it has a page count matching a regular TPB of 5 regula issues, so maybe the listed page count is wrong. (I was also under the impression from an earlier listing, that the Annual was counted as one of the 17 issues, but it was clearly listed in April as a separate issue).

- the links to digital releases (at Amazon on the individual TPB product pages) appear to have stopped from June. Usually they are listed at the same time, with a pre-order link and placeholder date, so I wonder if the loss of license by IDW in December has forced them to stop offering digital content 6 months before that, in case people are not be able to access the digital copies (to read them) beyond the end of IDW's license, which wouldn't be fair to a reader to spend money on a comic and then run out of time to read it? That's just my guess... as there maybe something else in play, like their contract with Hasbro relating to being able to sell digital copies beyond a particular date, or the digital release links will still be added later?
    Last edited by griffin; 20th March 2022 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    - the links to digital releases (at Amazon on the individual TPB product pages) appear to have stopped from June. Usually they are listed at the same time, with a pre-order link and placeholder date, so I wonder if the loss of license by IDW in December has forced them to stop offering digital content 6 months before that, in case people are not be able to access the digital copies (to read them) beyond the end of IDW's license, which wouldn't be fair to a reader to spend money on a comic and then run out of time to read it? That's just my guess... as there maybe something else in play, like their contract with Hasbro relating to being able to sell digital copies beyond a particular date, or the digital release links will still be added later?
    This would be an interesting one. My previous purchases of licensed or Creator Owned comics have always been maintained with Comixology - ie I still have the Marvel/Icon releases of Powers and other Bendis works - the rights didn't just move to his DC imprint - but you can no longer purchase the Icon releases. Similarly, I still have all my IDW Angel comics - though I think the agreement was a little bit different for that one. This could be more something tied in with Comixology moving wholly onto the Amazon platform (separate rant) rather than contractual license requirements.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    This could be more something tied in with Comixology moving wholly onto the Amazon platform (separate rant) rather than contractual license requirements.
    This would be my bet. There's a lot of stuff in flux there at the moment as they try to unbreak a lot of stuff that they broke.

I'm still not sure I can go back to the format without the DRM Free option.

Out this week is issue 2 of the Last Bot Standing.

With only six months left for IDW, I would have expected some official announcements of the new license-holders by now... if they were planning to start releasing comics straight away in January, they would already be planning out story ideas and writing the stories for the first issues to be drawn and printed.

You're assuming there is a new license holder?

While Hasbro decided their future isn't with IDW, I haven't seen any confirmation of a new publisher? Quietly I'm hoping for some kind of split deal, or at least, less exclusive. Boom studios would be my first pick with Dark Horse doing some collection stuff. Their work with MOTU has been amazing.

True... but with SDCC just a couple weeks away, that is usually where something like that would be announced, as it has the most regular media exposure.
    If nothing is mentioned at SDCC next month, then I guess they don't have a new license holder taking over straight away.

Out this week is the final issue of IDW's Beast Wars comic.

A random editorial (wishful thinking) about what would/could happen if Marvel got the license...

8 Perks Of Marvel Getting The Transformers Rights Back

Out at the end of June was the "Fate of Cybertron" comic, which appears to be a one-shot finale to the 2019 comic series (noted as Transformers Special in the first post).

A preview can be seen here.