• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 16.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - PERCEPTOR (Studio Series)

Default Toy Review - PERCEPTOR (Studio Series)

PERCEPTOR
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Hypo-line - '86
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 15
    Released here - April 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - $40
    Approximate Size - 15cm (head height); 16cm to top of scope
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-modes - microscope, mobile laboratory
    Main Features/Gimmicks - cartoon likeness
    Main Colours - red, blue, grey
    Main Accessories - gun

ROBOT MODE

As one would expect, SS86 Perceptor's robot mode is directly based off the Sunbow cartoon's character model. The chrome parts of the G1 toy have been replaced with metallic silver, cyan has been replaced with chambray blue, and black with dark gunmetal grey. The rifle has been shrunken down, as per the cartoon model, and the microscope barrel is also proportionately thinner and shorter. There is a faux mirror panel on the belly which cannot flip out.

ALT MODES

This toy has clearly prioritised cartoon likeness in robot mode (to be fair, so does MP). As such, the scope barrel is quite undersized in microscope mode. There are also no play gimmicks in microscope mode. Whereas the G1 toy has an adjustable magnifying lens and reflective mirror panel, and even Titans Return/Legends Perceptor has a manifying lens - this toy does nothing. There are windows on both ends of the scope barrel, but you can't see anything and there's no magnifying lens. The dial on the barrel is also non-functioning, meaning that the lens tip cannot extend or retract like it can on G1 and TR/LG Perceptor. There's really no play value in the microscope mode.

The mobile laboratory mode is a neat touch. Much like TR/LG Perceptor, it also connects only at an angle instead of flat-down like the Microman Microscope Robo toy can (i.e. Magnificus' tank mode). The robot legs do include tank^mobile laboratory treads.

Comparison Pics with G1 and Legends Perceptor

Pros:
    + No more superfluous headmaster gimmick.
    + The scope barrel is not on a metal rod attached to plastic hinges that feel fragile; it uses a series of hinged joints which quite cleverly shift it from the left shoulder to the centre and back.
    + The smaller scope does look a lot better in robot mode and doesn't look so cumbersome and in the way.

Cons:
    - The microscope mode does visually suffer from the smaller scope.
    - Lack of even basic microscope gimmicks renders the microscope mode with little play value.
    - There is no cover for the back cavity that houses the robot head; which leaves the back with this massive gaping hole (although no worse than the head transformation on Refraktor).

OVERALL
    Visually this toy delivers what one would expect. It looks like the cartoon model. As an actual toy it's just not as fun to play with as Titans Return or G1 Perceptor, and given that playability is the core function of a toy, I would have to mark this toy down on that criterion. Recommended only if you want a figure that looks like Perceptor from the Sunbow cartoon and you're prepared to accept that it has diminshed play value. For a toy that looks more cartoon-like and is more fun to play with, I recommend sticking with Titans Return/Legends Perceptor (the only downside of that toy is the Headmaster gimmick and fragile-feeling slide rail).

I too was underwhelmed by the microscope mode. To my eyes the face is also a bit bland: it seems to lack detail compared to others. The colours are nice but I think this will be more of a display piece for me rather than a play piece.

I received mine last month but only got around to open it last week. Despite the flaws, the robot mode looks so good (the front anyway) and I think it's a must have piece for someone trying to complete the G1 Season 2 / Movie Autobot cast. My biggest worry is the clear piece on the chest. Mine takes quite a bit of force to open, and I've been extra careful to open it slowly. There's no stress mark on the hinge yet, but I do worry that it might crack or snap eventually.

I was a bit of a naysayer on this one when it was revealed, as it seems way too similar to the TR version and didn't seem to offer much new.

I was very wrong - in hand he looks heaps better, and while he does a lot of the same stuff TR did, he does it all a lot better.