View Poll Results: Laser Optimus Prime, worth grabbing?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am gonna grab a figure as soon as I can!

4 36.36%
  • I will probably grab one, but only if he's on special

4 36.36%
  • I'll think about it

1 9.09%
  • No thanks, the original toy is better

0 0%
  • I don't really care, he's not for me

2 18.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Laser Optimus Prime (Legacy)

I already plan to give Legacy Prime a weapon swap. The Titans Return Optimus sword and a double barrel blaster from combiner wars

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Superior value for money; and I paid $100 for my Laser Optimus Prime from Toyworld (whereas Legacy OP cost me $95 from ToyMate with member discount; so they're pretty much the same price). G2 Laser OP gave us one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever made.

I could not believe that value for money that the original G2 Optimus Prime gave me, which I was more acutely aware of in 1995 as a teenager without disposable income. And yet as an adult with disposable income in 2022, I'm feeling it more with Legacy Laser OP.

Can't quite tell whether you end up saying Legacy or G2 is better value for money, but I think it actually provides side on side comparison of inflation and the impact on a figure.

This is same figure, same cost, 25 years apart.

Assuming 3% inflation for those 25 years, $100 then is equivalent to $210 now. Not even the Commander price point would give us a full equivalent offering in terms of functionality

The G2 Laser Prime was leaps and bounds ahead of its time - seen by how easily it fit into a modern line six years later - but is also a fascinating insight into cost pressures have changed over the last 25 years.

I wasn't going to get this toy until it goes on special... but then it was available at Myer at 30% off so I went and grabbed one straight away.

It's a much better toy than expected. I kind of expected the transformation to be similar to the original G2 toy and therefore somewhat simple. I'm happy to be wrong. Transformation in the upper torso is a lot more complex and involved than expected, but not to the point of frustration. A lot of nice and clever folding, which reminds me of Earthrise/Kingdom leader class Optimus Prime.

I'm actually glad they re-used most of the lower body from Earthrise/Kingdom Optimus. It brings some sort of continuity between the two toys, so Laser Optimus Prime does feel like an upgrade when standing side by side next to the Earthrise/Kingdom toy.

The trailer did not receive the same level of effort, but I think the cab/robot more than makes up for it.

I also like the flames on the truck cab. I don't know if the designers intended this but I feel they can serve as a nice little homage to the Bay-verse Optimus. Yes I know a number of fans don't like the Bay movies but they are now a significant part of Transformers' history. I like the nice little homage (whether intended or not).

Looking at Legacy Laser Prime with his sword standing next to my Earthrise/Kingdom Prime... the transition from a cab without nose to a cab with nose and flames (and a sword) does somehow parallel the transition of Optimus Prime from his "evasion" form to "knight" form in Age of Extinction...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I also like the flames on the truck cab. I don't know if the designers intended this but I feel they can serve as a nice little homage to the Bay-verse Optimus. Yes I know a number of fans don't like the Bay movies but they are now a significant part of Transformers' history. I like the nice little homage (whether intended or not).
    Yeah, same. I also think the flames look better than the original regardless of homage or not. Just in general, I think the deco changes on Legacy are an improvement.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Can't quite tell whether you end up saying Legacy or G2 is better value for money, but I think it actually provides side on side comparison of inflation and the impact on a figure.
    I meant to say that G2 Laser Optimus Prime is better dollar value (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    This is same figure, same cost, 25 years apart.

Assuming 3% inflation for those 25 years, $100 then is equivalent to $210 now. Not even the Commander price point would give us a full equivalent offering in terms of functionality
    Yeah, fair point about inflation. I think that the original G2 Laser Optimus Prime from 1995 would probably be roughly midway between the price of a Leader and Commander today.

Boring Maths Stuff (showing my working )
    I just compared the RRPs of:
    * 1995 G2 Laser Optimus Prime = $100 or Y3800 in Japan
    * 2000 Car Robot Black Convoy = Y3980
    * 2001 RiD Scourge = US$30
    * 2006 reissue G2 Battle Convoy = Y5500
    * 2006 eHobby Laser Magnus = Y6000
    From 1995-2001 we don't see any significant changes in price. Black Convoy is a few dollars dearer, but Scourge is a few dollars cheaper - fairly negligible difference.
    There was a more noticeable price hike for both reissue Battle Convoy and Laser Magnus at roughly 1.5 times the original's RRP. Bear in mind that reissues and limited exclusives do cost more than regular mass-release toys as they are obviously manufactured in smaller numbers. Now also bear in mind that the RRPs of larger figures have remained fairly stable and have been far less susceptible to inflation compared to the lower price points. The cost of Deluxes has really shot up recently, and Lint still can't get over the cost of a Core Class Transformer today. But in 2005 I was paying about $50 for a Voyager and $100 for a Leader; pretty much the same as what they cost today. For this reason, I would speculate that if say G2 Laser Optimus Prime were mass-released today, it would be close to the price of a Leader Class toy. If it were reissued then it would be closer to $150, the price of a Commander Class; and this is because reissues are manufactured in smaller volumes than regular mass-release toys; so the economies of scale bumps up the price of reissues.
    BUT... Black Convoy and Scourge both had their electronic gimmicks gutted and yet sold at roughly the same price as the OG; this would make them relatively dearer (as you're getting less for about the same price). So with that in mind, I would speculate that if the original G2 Laser Optimus Prime mould were mass-released today; i.e. manufactured in the same volumes as Legacy Laser Optimus Prime, not limited reissue or online exclusive numbers, then it might be roughly $120~130; dearer than a Leader but cheaper than a Commander. A reissue would be Commander Class price (as demonstrated by 2005-06 prices).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I meant to say that G2 Laser Optimus Prime is better dollar value (IMHO).
    Boring Maths Stuff (showing my working )
    But in 2005 I was paying about $50 for a Voyager and $100 for a Leader; pretty much the same as what they cost today. For this reason, I would speculate that if say G2 Laser Optimus Prime were mass-released today, it would be close to the price of a Leader Class toy. If it were reissued then it would be closer to $150, the price of a Commander Class; and this is because reissues are manufactured in smaller volumes than regular mass-release toys; so the economies of scale bumps up the price of reissues.
    BUT... Black Convoy and Scourge both had their electronic gimmicks gutted and yet sold at roughly the same price as the OG; this would make them relatively dearer (as you're getting less for about the same price). So with that in mind, I would speculate that if the original G2 Laser Optimus Prime mould were mass-released today; i.e. manufactured in the same volumes as Legacy Laser Optimus Prime, not limited reissue or online exclusive numbers, then it might be roughly $120~130; dearer than a Leader but cheaper than a Commander. A reissue would be Commander Class price (as demonstrated by 2005-06 prices).
    I think you're underestimating the shrinkflation that has happened also in price points between 2005 and now though - while the leader price point may have stayed the same, the size of the toy and what it includes is much reduced - compare Cybertron Optimus Prime to Siege Galaxy Optimus Prime - both leader class toys separated by 20 years. Or compare Cybertron Crumplezone to Kingdom Optimus Primal.
    And that about has a lot of variance too - back in 2005, $50 was about the top of the variance for Voyager figures. Today it's the bottom.

All to say that I think it's interesting comparison, and why I still haven't quite pushed the button on him myself. I still have my G2 Prime and RiD Scourge to satisfy me, and the idea of getting a new figure only to replicate that toy in current scale isn't quite enough to push me over the edge yet.

If we go back and compare toys to what they were 20 or 30 years ago we're going to see less play features and things like die cast etc. In the current climate, I think Legacy Prime is fine for a leader class.
    If the original G2 toy didn't exist, I wouldn't expect his trailer to do more than what it does.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

The figure is ok... As the resident whinger here though; the ball joint fists...not a fan. Generally, I can appreciate ball joints in their simplicity and function, but they are the work of the devil, I tells ya.

Legacy Prime with Earthrise Prime and G2 Megatron

Last edited by Deano85; 7th June 2022 at 04:30 PM.

Laser Prime still thinking Optimus is still standing there.. a