View Poll Results: Laser Optimus Prime, worth grabbing?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am gonna grab a figure as soon as I can!

4 36.36%
  • I will probably grab one, but only if he's on special

4 36.36%
  • I'll think about it

1 9.09%
  • No thanks, the original toy is better

0 0%
  • I don't really care, he's not for me

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Laser Optimus Prime (Legacy)

Default Toy Review - Laser Optimus Prime (Legacy)

(G2 Universe) Laser Optimus Prime
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New, with leg parts shared from Earthrise/Kingdom Optimus
    Wave - 1
    Released here - Not Yet
    Approximate Retail Price - AU $80 - 110
    Approximate Size - 17 cm (head to feet)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Truck cab
    Main Features/Gimmicks -
    Main Colours - Red, blue, grey, black, silver
    Main Accessories - Energon sword, Energon axe, Matrix of Leadership, blaster, repair bay, trailer

Robot Mode

Laser Optimus is yet another Optimus Prime figure, but this time based off his G2 design. His bands are sculpted to be open, but unlike Earthrise Prime don't actually move. He comes with a sword and a shield which could be combined to form a bigger sword, but I usually just keep the regular sword on my figure. He also has the Matrix of Leadership inside of him, which previous Laser Optimus toys didn't (TF2010 had one, but it wasn't removeable). One thing I forgot to photograph is that his trailer blaster is removeable and can be used as a gun, but honestly it doesn't look as good as the original blaster. If you have a spare blaster (I recommend the one from Titans Return), you can use that instead, or any targetmaster/battlemaster if you wish.

One of the biggest differences between this toy, and any of the other toys based off his G2 design, is that his shoulder pylons can now open and show missle pods, which means they finally have a purpose now (even if they don't actually do anything)

Articulation wise, he's pretty much at the standard of CHUG figures (waist, hands, feet, etc.), but the shoulders do get in the way since well, they aren't actually on his shoulders. He can still move quite freely, but I don't think he'll have a good time looking to his left or right (they can be moved down, but they do look a bit awkward)

Compared to the original toy (I don't have a G2 laser optimus prime, so RID scourge will have to do instead), he feels more modern than the original figure (which was quite ahead of its time when it first came out). I find him to be the best looking toy based off the G2 design by far (TF2010 was too realistic looking and had doors on his arms, while Titans Return was just Octane if he was Optimus.

Trailer

For the first time since the original G2 toy, we have gotten a new toy based off the G2 design that comes with a trailer (Titans Return doesn't count since that was part of the robot) and it's, okay. While I do like the repair bay, and the blaster on top is clearly paying homage to the original figure's trailer, there isn't really a lot going on here. You can store his sword and shield, and that's pretty much everything else. While Earthrise's trailer was bare bones, at least with that the trailer didn't really have much going on in the first place (sure in Earthrise Roller had to come with a weapons pack, but still), where the G2 toy had a lot more going on, which rocket launchers, disc shooter, and even a missile. While I get that with how the toys have changed so they don't shoot projectiles anymore, it would've been cool if the trailer had some additional weapons that could be attached to give it more firepower (maybe in a future weapons pack they'll do that).
    To give you an idea what I meant, here's the Legacy Trailer, with the Scourge's trailer:

Alt Mode

OK the review is starting to sound negative so I'll add some postives. The truck mode looks quite nice. While it doesn't have the infamous artwork of Optimus burning down a forest, I don't mind since it makes this figure look more realistic anyway (or at least not over-the top). The transformation is more complex than the original toy (obviously).

Compared to the original, he is smaller, and not as realistic of a truck. But considering how cartoony the original's robot mode is, it doesn't do a bad job of updating the figure.
    Also as a bonus, he here is compared to Earthrise Optimus:

Overall thoughts
    While there are a few issues I have with the toy, they are mostly his shoulders and the trailer being a bit lackluster, but outside of that he is a fantastic figure, who is defintely a better figure than the previous versions of the G2 design.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

The truck mode does look quite nice, the robot mode doesn't grab me.

I'm going to give Legacy Prime the yellow sword from Titans Return Optimus and a double barrel blaster from combiner wars.

I quite like him.
    The truck mode looks great, especially now that he's no longer advertising "hi everyone I'm Optimus Prime" on the trailer.
    I prefer the robot mode proportions to the original too. Articulation was already good for the original so there is not too much improvement in that regard, but certainly not a step back.
    I will admit that the trailer's base mode does not compare to the original in terms of playability. It isn't terrible, but yes, undeniably a step backward.
    The opening chest and matrix is a nice touch, as is the ability to remove and shift around the guns and trailer accessories.
    Overall not an essential purchase if you already have the original, but I would certainly recommend getting it if you don't have a G2 Prime already.

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

He looks pretty good, now to decide on whether to get this or wait for a RiD Scourge repaint.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

I kinda like it (it's Optimus), but the shoulder pads are a bit daft.

Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - May 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - $99.99
    Approximate Size - (see below)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Sub-group - Laser Rod
    Alt-mode - 1995 Western Star 4964EX
    Main Features/Gimmicks - trailer converts to battle station, combinable weapons, Matrix chest compartment, shoulder missile pods
    Main Colours - grey, blue, black, red, more grey
    Main Accessories - sword, axe, Matrix, pistol, trailer

Truck Mode
    (w/ trailer): L = 28cm; W = 6cm; H = 8cm
    (w/o trailer): L = 19cm; W = 6cm; H = 6.5cm

Much like Earthdom Optimus Prime, Legacy Laser Optimus Prime's trailer is also really not scaled for a Voyager-sized cab/robot. It is undersized, and feels even more undersized than Earthdom Optimus Prime. Earthdom OP's trailer scales well with Deluxe Class Classics (UB) Optimus Prime, but TL Laser OP's trailer looks too small, even when attached to Deluxe Class RTS Laser Optimus Prime. The trailer sports a far more realistic look; long gone are those stickers with OPTIMUS PRIME's name and image being advertised for all to see! It does look like Laser OP is now finally taking the whole "robots in disguise" thing a bit more serious (trailer/cab scale issues aside). The forearms do protrude from the rear and at a glance might be seen as being the sleeper compartment; although there is a big gap which ruins that illusion. The arms do anchor the front section of the cab onto the legs, so as they do serve a functional purpose I can forgive its visual ungainliness.

The cab itself has a Bayformers influence as Laser Optimus Prime now sports chopper flames instead of a straight red/black gradient deco like on the original G2 figure. I would have preferred to see the back paint being airbrushed as it transitions to red, but I suppose the chopper flames looks cooler to kids these days. It's not what I would have preferred, but I don't dislike it either. I'm guessing that kids these days prefer seeing chopper flames on a long-nose Optimus Prime truck. This toy has no electronic gimmick, so don't expect the headlights to illuminate. This toy does inherit the same weakness from Siege and Earthdom Optimus Prime; the fuel tanks don't lock out and are prone to collapsing back in (which is what happened when I took my photos ).

Battle Station Mode
    H = 12cm; W = 36.5cm; B = 12cm

The trailer opens up into a miniaturised version of the battle station. Long gone is the air-pump missile launcher and rapid-fire disc launcher; instead we just have a tower and... a ramp that's too small... and a utility claw-arm... and... that's pretty much it. There are points where the sword and axe can be stored (which also works when closed up in trailer mode; that's pretty handy). I do like how the gun is incorporated as one of the tanker-trailer's hatches; also neat. The entire tower can turn around, not just the gun. It can also detach, although I've yet to figure out why.

↑The robot is gigantic next to the undersized trailer/battle station.

↑Even Deluxe Laser Optimus Prime towers over the tower!

2022 Legacy Laser OP's truck cab also cannot connect with 1995 G2 Laser OP's trailer. While both use a 5mm hitch, the height difference makes them incompatible. One of my favourite features of Reveal the Shield Laser OP is how that toy can connect with the G2 toy's trailer, and it connects even better than the original. But I suppose since TL Laser OP comes with his own trailer, it just wasn't necessary to make him backwards compatible with the 1995 trailer.

Robot Mode
    H = 17cm (head), 19cm (shoulder stacks)

The transformation design on this toy is impressively complex (yet intuitive); almost approaching MP level, particularly with the forearms. The belly panel tends to pop out on mine, so it would have been nicer to have a bit more tolerance there; similarly the forearms on my toy tend to pop out on the mushroom pegs. Easy to put back on and I may need to apply some Fix-Loose-Joints to tighten it a bit more. Otherwise this toy pretty much does what you would expect; has the same basic articulation range as Siege/Earthdom Optimus Primes.

This toy shares only a few parts with Earthdom Optimus Prime, but it is mostly a new mould. I haven't taken a photo of it, but the shoulder sections can open up to reveal missile pods inside. The chest has a pair of windows and can open up to reveal Optimus Prime's Matrix which can be removed and held by Optimus Prime; pretty much same gimmick and accessory as this toy's predecessors, but it's neat that they carried it over to this toy too. The shoulder stacks have panels so as to allow the arms to swing up, although the do impose a limit of 90?. It's unfortunate that the shoulder stacks themselves don't move, especially when the original 1995 figure's can. Plus they light up; this toy is unencumbered by any electronic gimmick. The Matrix chamber gimmick, while a simple carry-over from this toy's forerunners, is an unexpected surprise. It's something that they didn't have to absolutely do, but it's cool that they did. I wonder if they could've done more with the shoulder stacks had this toy been pre-tooled instead of being a retool. Still, as far as retools go, they've done a pretty good job here. Much better than Kingdom Ultra Magnus! As mentioned before, this toy has no electronic gimmick, so don't expect the weapons to light up.

A few cosmetic gripes:
    * There are no Autobot insignia on this toy except for just one insigne on one door. Nothing visible in robot mode. Some people have noted that the lone insigne is a G1 Autobot logo, not G2... that doesn't bother me as there are plenty of G2 toys with G1 insignia. The fact that the robot mode has zero insignia is mildly irritating.
    * The eyes! They've been moulded in what looks like the same (or very similar) shade of blue as the face and helmet, and as such, the eyes are just visually lost and looks dead. I'm not a huge fan of blue eyes on Optimus Prime for the reason that the blue blends too much with the helmet, but when it's the same shade of blue, it makes it even worse. And there's no light-piping! If you're gonna give Optimus Prime blue eyes, at least give him light blue eyes (which is what other blue-eyed OPs do).

Comparison with Reveal the Shield Deluxe Optimus Prime

Comparison with original toy

Comparison with WFC Optimus Prime

(yes, I added yellow eye stickers; see how they contrast so much better?)

OVERALL
    A much better toy than I expected, and I think it does show that Hasbro are getting better at doing retools compared to what they did with Kingdom UM. Objectively I cannot say that this toy is really worth the full Leader Class RRP though, so I would recommend this toy if you can get it at discount price.

More comparison photos between the original and Legacy Laser OPs. I should really restore the chrome on my G2 Laser OP.

Truck mode (front)

Truck mode (high angle)

Trailer sides

Trailer rears

Truck cabs (high angle)

Truck cabs (rear)

Mid transformation

Side kick; this also demonstrates how well balanced the toys are. In this case, the original is better balanced as he's able to hold a lower side kick without falling over, whereas this was as low as I could make TL Laser OP kick, and yet his foot is still at the same height as his head (so it's a pretty high kick!). This is done to act as a counterbalance, but the fact that the original can hold his kick at a lower height means that there is less counter-balancing required. So the original wins this test.

Rear kick; Legacy wins this round. Both kicks are proportionately just as high as each other, but the G2 toy's upper torso is bent over as far as it can go to counterbalance the toy. Whereas the Legacy figure's head is more elevated, as less counterbalancing is required. This is not entirely surprising as the G2 toy is much more top-heavy, since the torso does house the electronic gimmick (and it just generally a heftier build than the Legacy figure).

5mm ports means that both toys are Bloosh-compatible.

The lack of any finger articulation makes it impossible for this Optimus Prime to grip the Matrix handle. So I just had him holding it in the palm of one hand, but it would fall out if I turned that hand 90?.

As Handsprime and Bemblebuu have also mentioned, the lack of longitudinal articulation on the Legacy toy's shoulder stacks is just annoying. Especially when the original G2 toy did it better, plus it still had to house wiring from the battery compartment to the light bulb inside the right fist. Legacy Laser Optimus Prime's weakness = attack him from his sides; he'll never see it coming. I really do wish that the eyes were any other brighter colour. I'd take hot pink over these lifeless dark blues that blend with the rest of the head! Look how much more vibrant the original looks with colourless transparent eyes! Just the fact that it pops against the rest of the head makes all the difference.

Gotta admit... Legacy does win in that he's not wearing a freaking name tag. Does the G2 toy work in retail?

The original just wins hands down as an overall playset.

Superior value for money; and I paid $100 for my Laser Optimus Prime from Toyworld (whereas Legacy OP cost me $95 from ToyMate with member discount; so they're pretty much the same price). G2 Laser OP gave us one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever made. The G2 trailer gave us:
    * an air pump missile launcher
    * a quintuple spring-loaded missile launcher
    * a mounting point for the gun to become a turret (that can aim both vertically and horizontally)
    * a rapid-fire disc launcher

I do like how Legacy Laser OP's gun becomes one of the tanker trailer's top hatches. Otherwise it's a pretty underwhelming trailer and playset that gives us:
    * a turret that can only move horizontally
    * a tower that can move 360? or be removed
    * a claw-arm

I could not believe that value for money that the original G2 Optimus Prime gave me, which I was more acutely aware of in 1995 as a teenager without disposable income. And yet as an adult with disposable income in 2022, I'm feeling it more with Legacy Laser OP.

Not surprisingly, the Deluxe Class RTS Optimus Prime scales better with the little trailer.

Bought the figure over the weekend... The oversized shoulders pads make up for his, as Homer Simpson would say, 'boney girl arms'.