• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 50.00%

Thread: Toy Review - BUZZ SAW (Legacy Buzzsaw)

Default Toy Review - BUZZ SAW (Legacy Buzzsaw)

BUZZ SAW
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Pretool of Kingdom Waspinator
    Wave - N/A (US store exclusive)
    Released here - April 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - $36
    Approximate Size - 12cm
    Allegiance - Predacon
    Alt-mode - yellowjacket wasp
    Main Features/Gimmicks - compatible with Weaponisers/Fossilisers
    Main Colours - beige, orange
    Main Accessories - stinger gun

Note: As this toy is a repaint/retool of Kingdom Waspinator, refer to the review thread for Kingdom Waspinator for comments about the original toy. This thread will focus on changes made.

THOUGHTS

A generally decent retool/repaint of Kingdom Waspinator as Buzz Saw. I particularly like how the lower robot legs have the airbrush applied black paint on the knees.The yellow paints on the clear green head also looks good. Oddly enough, the shoulders appear to be completely unchanged from Waspinator. It doesn't look bad per se... just odd. Another oddity are the clear black wings. On the original BW Buzz Saw, the wings are translucent green, and the beast head on both Kingdom Waspinator and Legacy Buzzsaw are made of clear plastic; in Buzzsaw's case, clear green with yellow painted over it. Given that Waspinator's beast eyes and wings are purple, I'm guessing that the beast head parts and wings are gang moulded on the same sprue... so why aren't Buzzsaw's wings green? There are no other parts of this toy that are clear green or clear black. The side crests on the robot helmet resemble bat wings. I don't think this looks good or bad... just different and someone odd as the original never looked like that. Yellowjacket wings are completely clear, so it's not even zoologically accurate either. Eh. :/

I continue to be impressed with how Hasbro pre-tools so many toys as variant characters from the outset. It's such a simple and cost-saving way to create more diverse characters instead of just straight-up repaints. And in many cases, Hasbro doesn't strictly have to do it; after all, the original Buzz Saw does come with both styles of head, including the one that resembles Waspinator's (unsurprisingly as the original Buzz Saw is a straight up repaint of Waspy). It's also a great way for Hasbro to include more BW characters into the CHUG line instead of just restricting themselves to the limited Beast Wars cartoon cast (since only a minority of BW TFs ever appeared in the cartoon). Also noticed that this toy's name is Buzzsaw, not Buzz Saw like the original, nor Predacon Buzzsaw. I hope this doesn't mean that Hasbro aren't going to release a new WFC-style Decepticon Buzzsaw toy (even as a direct repaint of Netflix Laserbeak). :/

In case anyone was wondering what it looked like with a Waspinator head: