0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

1 10.00%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - DRAG STRIP (Legacy Decepticon Dragstrip)

Default Toy Review - DRAG STRIP (Legacy Decepticon Dragstrip)

DRAG STRIP
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - May 2022?
    Approximate Retail Price - $37
    Approximate Size - 13cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Stunticon
    Alt-mode - approximated Tyrrell P34 Formula One race car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - becomes TL Menasor's arm kibble
    Main Colours - yellow with bronze and red accents
    Main Accessories - x2 gravito blasters

THOUGHTS: Combiner Wars vs Legacy

If cartoon-likeness is your thing, then you are really going to love this toy. This feels like a Poor Man's Masterpiece, which I always mean as a compliment to a CHUG toy. Except for the shoulders and chest orientation, this toy pretty much looks like Drag Strip jumped out of the TV and became real; it really feels like the most screen-like toy that you could make with a Deluxe Class budget. Although objectively speaking, this level of G1 accuracy does give it an arguably bland palette as the toy is overwhelmingly yellow. Hasbro has tried to break this up with bronze accents on the chest and air dam, as well as a silver fake engine kibble inside the chest, but Combiner Wars Dragstrip does do a better job in breaking up the yellow with its maroon accents. This mould has some really nice sculpted detail that I feel is lost in the 'sea of yellow,' especially on the shins.

The overall shape of the robot looks much nicer on Legacy Dragstrip compared to Combiner Wars. Gone are those gangly gorilla arms, and while I like CW Dragstrip's more G1-accurate blue face, the head sculpt itself isn't exactly accurate to either the toy or cartoon, whereas TL Dragstrip is very much cartoon-like. It's chosen a side instead of Rise-of-Skywalkering it. Both of their car modes look nice, but TL is more G1-accurate as a closely approximated Tyrrell P34 (whereas CW is a generic F1 car, which is also fine). It's also great that TL Dragstrip has a proper chest instead of the gestalt connector. Visually speaking, I think that TL Dragstrip wins more points over CW.

In terms of play value... it depends. Both CW and TL are perfectly adequate action figures, although I do like the twin guns on TL as opposed to CW's knife and oversized cannon. I think as a stand alone toy, TL wins. However, as a gestalt limb, I suspect that CW would still offer greater diversity. CW Dragstrip does transform into either Menasor's arm or leg, whereas TL Dragstrip transforms into kibble for Menasor's arm. Yes, I know that this is how the cartoon drew it, but it does result in few play options. TL Dragstrip has sacrificed the Scramble gimmick; AFAIK he cannot become Menasor's leg, nor can he Scramble-combine with torso robots other than Motormaster; e.g. Onslaught, Abominus, Superion, Hot Spot, Scattershot etc. And while we adult collectors think it strange to mix these teams/factions up, this is not necessarily a concern for children. I know I often mixed the teams up when I was a kid, and I had a lot of fun customising my own gestalts.

Overall I don't think that either CW and TL Dragstrip are inherently better or worse than the other; both have their own strengths and weaknesses, and both are bringing something different to the table. And as they should; if you're going to redo character in the same line (CHUG), then you ought to make the new toy offer something different. In doing so, Hasbro continues to further spoil us fans for choice. Generally speaking, I think that CW Dragstrip is more fun for kids whereas TL is really more for the adult fans.

I thought the all yellow would look worse than it does in real life - otherwise I agree, although I haven't mixed up any combiners so this set will be replacing my CW copies of these figures as soon as I've completed Menasor!

Pretty much all you could ask for in a CHUG Dragstrip. You get a transforming yellow Tyrrell P34-esque race car and a very well articulated Decepticon robot with a sweet pair of G1 inspired blasters. I do find it cute that they scalloped out the back of the robot head to make a mini-bucket seat for an infant sized driver. The only real shame is that there is not much more to say about this guy.

Can't wait for the rest of the Stunticons. Dragstrip is great. Already painted the wheels which also helped make the inner pegs blend in better.

Recieved min the other day and I gotta say, the box is tiny. Cripes.

But the toy is good. I like it. Robot mode looks nice with some good G1-toy-esque sculpting here and there.
    My main compaint comes down to his bottom half. The legs/groin area really needs some colour on it. Like the stripe from the spoiler goes on the soles of his feet, why couldn't they just extend the stripe to go up over his toes too? And a little something on his pants would've gone a ong way as well. But oh well, it might make me inclined to do something about myself if I ever feel creative.

Vehicle mode is pretty sweet. I never realised it was actually based on a real car though, I always thought it was some suped up dragster of imaginary means, so I learnt something there! I also love the way the gns mount on the vehicle. I don't think they need to plug together though, unless it can be applied to Menasor somehow.

Overall I am satisfied and am happily awaiting the rest of these guys. Now officially excited for the whole team!! (I love the look of Wilderider's vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    why couldn't they just extend the stripe to go up over his toes too? And a little something on his pants would've gone a ong way as well.
    This is why...

I agree that it is all too plain, but a lot of fans prefer cartoon-likeness, and HasTak are giving what fans want (within the confines of a Deluxe priced mass released children's toy that can transform and combine).

There's a lot of really nice detailing on Drag Strip's sculpt that is just lost in the sea of yellow.

Dragstrip with added toyhax stickers and Wild Rider

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This is why...
    I agree that it is all too plain, but a lot of fans prefer cartoon-likeness, and HasTak are giving what fans want (within the confines of a Deluxe priced mass released children's toy that can transform and combine).
    There's a lot of really nice detailing on Drag Strip's sculpt that is just lost in the sea of yellow.
    Yeah, I know Juts a shame methinks. Personally I was always in the camp of mixing up the cartoon and toy options. Like the early Masterpieces did, they took aspects of the cartoon and aspects of the original toy and just made a rather nice looking toy. MP Skids also falls into this category.
    I guess it'll be easier for me to add some colour to him than for me to peel off extra bits I might not have liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Dragstrip with added toyhax stickers and Wild Rider
    Looks pretty good. Did they add any to the vehicle mode as well?

Here is vehicle mode. I also used a silver sharpie on his wheels (which I do on alot of bots).

Personally I was always in the camp of mixing up the cartoon and toy options. Like the early Masterpieces did, they took aspects of the cartoon and aspects of the original toy and just made a rather nice looking toy. MP Skids also falls into this category.
    I was gonna say, since MP Hound TakaraTOMY have reverted back to a hybrid toy x cartoon aesthetic. I think they must have realised that they pushed too far with Hound. The cartoon designs were never intended to be toys.

I guess it'll be easier for me to add some colour to him than for me to peel off extra bits I might not have liked.
    One thing that Siege has taught me is that it's always easier for us end users to add paints than it is to remove them!