Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Lego Transformers - Optimus Prime

I believe the video review says the only new-ish part is the face plate being metallic silver for the first time.

If anyone is feeling put off by the price. Aside from the obvious factors being that it's 1. Lego and 2. licensed from Hasbro, it also is quite tall in robot mode, being larger than MP-1.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Do any Lego experts know if this is the type of release that will warrant repeatedly smashing F5 at Lego.com.au on release day, or will this he be fairly easy to find at retail?

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
    Do any Lego experts know if this is the type of release that will warrant repeatedly smashing F5 at Lego.com.au on release day, or will this he be fairly easy to find at retail?
    I wouldn't worry too much. Even if it does sell out in the first wave, Lego normally produces these sorts of sets for a couple of years. And most of the major retailers here will probably pick it up.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I'm not a fan of it (Id much rather buy the McLaren F1) but while watching a review, I found out that apparently the dude that designed it used to work for Hasbro. I thought that was cool.

It certainly looks like Prime, and both modes are quite clean. That said, the price is beyond ridiculous, especially considering there are no minifigs and the details are all stickered instead of printed parts. I think a set like this was inevitably going to be disappointing to a lot of TF fans, as we have several decades of engineering innovation that we are well-acquainted with. The transformation for this seems to resemble MP-1, which is a nice and respected figure but vastly behind the modern state of Transformers. As much as Lego bricks can be a hindrance to complexity, they can also add a lot of options for clever conversion tricks, which we don't really see here.

Either a better model, some desirable minifigures (as Disney and the like have done for big one off sets) or just a more affordable price would have served this set well. I can see fans of Lego and TFs buying it, but not many very enthusiastically. Hopefully it means a Megatron or Bumblebee at some point, although a gun mode is certainly out of the question and the Beetle is a nigh unobtainable license for a teamup with already two brands. They are quite different markets, but I'd have much more liked to see a TF set along the lines of the (admittedly expensive) Sesame Street one from a few years ago.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    If there are no unique parts created for this set, it makes it a very expensive set per piece, at 17cents per piece (for plastic that would have cost less than a cent per piece to make).
    Could you just wait for the instructions to be released and then buy the parts to build it yourself if there are no unique parts?

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Could you just wait for the instructions to be released and then buy the parts to build it yourself if there are no unique parts?
    Ignoring that several parts are printed and you'll have to substitute blank versions; technically possible but would be much more expensive and time intensive than just buying the set. First off, it's quite unlikely you'll be getting everything from just one or two stores on bricklink, and local ones at that, so one of your major cash sinks will be shipping for each lot of bricks. After that there's any uncommon pieces which may go for $0.25-0.50 each and may require buying from several different sellers due to low stock, I think some of the transparent orange pieces would be a good example. Then there's the time spent finding all the pieces, balancing buying enough from each store to meet their minimum(or maximum if you find some really exacting stores) order quantities while not overpaying on shipping, doing all that for MOC is one thing but to make a DIY KO of an official set is just silly. If you really have to save a buck then it's either the inevitable KO(which may not be exact depending on how they substitute parts they don't have moulds for or colours they use) or a sale if retailer stocks it(and doesn't exempt it from promotions like Myer loves to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    If anyone is feeling put off by the price. Aside from the obvious factors being that it's 1. Lego and 2. licensed from Hasbro, it also is quite tall in robot mode, being larger than MP-1.
    Oh yeah, I know he's a big boi, it's just that I look at that price tag and I'm like "I can get everything I want from Legacy wave 1 for less than that", or like "if I wanted to get extravagant with a Transformer I could grab MPG Shouki with money to spare" so Lego Optimus comes up short comparatively

The official press release from last week...

The LEGO Group and TRANSFORMERS:
    ENGAGE BRICK MODE
    The LEGO Group and Hasbro unite to reveal the new, fully converting LEGO® Transformers Optimus Prime

• The collaboration marks the first time these leading global toy companies have worked together
    • Featuring both Robot and alt modes, this is one of the few LEGO sets that converts between two different models
    • The massive set includes over 1,500 LEGO pieces and stands over 35cm in Robot mode and 15cm high in alt mode

Billund, Denmark May 12th: Leading global toy companies, the LEGO Group and Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) unite for the first time to bring the iconic Transformers Autobot, Optimus Prime, to life in LEGO® form – complete with alt mode. The new LEGO Transformers Optimus Prime set is a tribute to the heroic Autobot leader with over 1,500 detailed LEGO pieces. Once assembled, the figure features 19 points of articulation that allow fans to convert from robot to truck alt mode and back again. This is one of the first times a LEGO set has been able to convert between two models, without the need to rebuild.
    The new LEGO set will transport fans back to 1984 to when Transformers first exploded into popular culture with the original toy line and animated TV series. Modeled after the G1 Optimus Prime character, the new LEGO set includes remarkable attention to detail and features such as the ion blaster, Energon axe, an Energon Cube and the Autobot Matrix of Leadership which can be stored in the chest chamber.
    Senior Designer at the LEGO Group, Joseph Patrick Kyde, says about the collaboration: “It has been an honour and joy to work together with Hasbro to develop a LEGO version of Optimus Prime! I am excited to see these two toy companies come together for the first time to celebrate the leader of the Autobots. Optimus Prime has become a pop culture symbol of courage, selflessness, and great leadership as well as an awesome toy that embodies the problem-solving and creativity skills that both companies value so much. It’s been a wonderful and challenging task to bring him to life using LEGO bricks, especially making sure that he can shift modes without disassembly and stay true to his signature look and style.”
    Casey Collins, Head of Licensed Consumer Products and Business Development at Hasbro noted: “We’re excited to bring two of the world’s greatest play and entertainment companies together to celebrate this larger-than-life, iconic character – Optimus Prime. We know fans everywhere will be thrilled by this collaboration as it enables fans and families of all ages to create memories as they work together to build the LEGO Transformers Optimus Prime.”
    Once complete building this 1,508-piece model, fans can admire their build with pride by adding the display plaque to pay tribute to the iconic Transformers character.
    The LEGO Transformers Optimus Prime set will be available globally from LEGO.com/optimus and in LEGO stores from June 1st priced at 169,99 USD/EUR.
    ##
    Product detail
    10302 LEGO® Optimus Prime
    RRP: 169,99 USD/EUR
    Pieces: 1,508
    Measures:

• Truck Mode: Measures over 5.5 in. (15 cm) high, 27 in. (10.5 cm) long and 4.5 in. (12 cm) wide.
    • Robot Mode: In robot mode, the model stands over 13.5 in. (35 cm) tall

About Transformers
    The TRANSFORMERS brand is a global powerhouse franchise with millions of fans around the world. Since 1984, the battle between the Autobots and Decepticons has come to life in movies, TV shows, comic books, innovative toys, and digital media, bringing incredible “MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE” experiences to fans of all ages. The brand’s enduring connection is made possible by its rich storytelling and characters: the heroic Autobots who seek to protect all life, and the evil Decepticons who seek to conquer the universe. The TRANSFORMERS brand is a Hasbro franchise.
    About the LEGO Group
    The LEGO Group’s mission is to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through the power of play. The LEGO System in Play, with its foundation in LEGO bricks, allows children and fans to build and rebuild anything they can imagine.
    The LEGO Group was founded in Billund, Denmark in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, its name derived from the two Danish words Leg Godt, which mean “Play Well”. Today, the LEGO Group remains a family-owned company headquartered in Billund. Its products are now sold in more than 130 countries worldwide. For more information: www.LEGO.com
    About HasbroHasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to making the world a better place for all children, fans and families. Hasbro delivers immersive brand experiences for global audiences through consumer products, including toys and games; entertainment through eOne, its independent studio; and gaming, led by the team at Wizards of the Coast, an award-winning developer of tabletop and digital games best known for fantasy franchises MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.
    The Company’s unparalleled portfolio of approximately 1,500 brands includes MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, BABY ALIVE, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, POWER RANGERS, PEPPA PIG and PJ MASKS, as well as premier partner brands. For the past decade, Hasbro has been consistently recognized for its corporate citizenship, including being named one of the 100 Best Corporate Citizens by 3BL Media and one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute. Important business and brand updates are routinely shared on our Investor Relations website, Newsroom and social channels (@Hasbro on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn).
    The American product page, which is sometimes geo-blocked (redirect to the Australian page).
    Also June 1st in America, but for us$170.