0 0%
  • No

1 11.11%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - KICKBACK (Legacy)

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    I dunno. Masterpiece is for super cartoon accuracy, Kingdom/ Earthrise/ Legacy seems somewhere in between. Some figures tick the 'slavish G1 toy accuracy' checkbox, most don't. It just doesn't seem like a there's any consistency, so I can't help what I see as flawed design... I guess I'm in the minority!
    I hear you.

I actually miss the aesthetics from earlier CHUG toys that dared to be more original. This is why I skipped Earthrise Grapple and Kingdom Inferno and just kept my Henkei and United figures instead. If I want slavish cartoon likeness, I have the MPs for that! But this is purely a personal preference thing, which isn't something that I factor in my reviews (where I try to remain more objective). We are definitely in the minority. If it were up to me, every CHUG Optimus Prime and Megatron toy would have yellow eyes, damn it!

I dunno. Masterpiece is for super cartoon accuracy, Kingdom/ Earthrise/ Legacy seems somewhere in between. Some figures tick the 'slavish G1 toy accuracy' checkbox, most don't. It just doesn't seem like a there's any consistency, so I can't help what I see as flawed design... I guess I'm in the minority!
    I agree with you. I'm as big a G1 fanboy as anyone but this one's just a really uninspiring and lazy release.

So it nails the simplicity of the old toy and animation mold - fine - but then it makes aesthetic choices that move it away from that, so I'm a little confused. Where are the silly little wheels in bug mode? What's up with the creepy 'wing membrane' look on his fairy wings? The altmode is begging for a way to lock the legs in better too - if those joints get too loose, the bug mode won't sit right. Plus, you can combine the weird lolly-plastic swords into a 'thorax' for the bug mode, but they left that out of the instructions.

It looks like this is similar to the SS Sharkticon, where the transformation is simplified for the sake of army builders.

Yeah, I don't like the way Kickback's legs flop around in insect mode either. Maybe they coulda used an accessory to lock the thighs in place and maybe give more of an insect shape, rather than the 'lying down man robot' look it actually is.

Again, we are in the minority of fans who aren't demanding slavish cartoonish designs on CHUG and MP toys. Yes, it does mean that CHUG and MPs are now crossing over in terms of design aesthetics... but it's what most fans want, so I can't really blame Hasbro for making these design decisions. At the end of the day, it's all about demand and supply. If you don't like how CHUG is making their toys so cartoony, then... to be blunt, just don't buy them.

There have been a LOT of recent CHUG figures that I've skipped for this reason, including: Earthrise Grapple, Kingdom Inferno, Kingdacy Blaster, Kingdom Tracks, Earthdom Wheeljack, Earthdom Arcee, Earthrise Ratchethide, all of the Seekers (except G2 Sandstorm and Coronation Screamer) etc. Because you're right, if I want a slavishly cartoony figure, MP scratches that itch for me. I don't need my CHUGs to scratch the same itch. Having said that, I'm happy to get Legacy Kickback and the other Insecticons in this design because:
    a/ MP Insecticons don't exist
    b/ my Legends Class CHUG Insecticons, which scratch that more original/less cartoony CHUG itch; I love how TR Kickback has a cockpit for Titan Masters!
    c/ army building, baby!

NTSC (Never Twice Same Clone)
    I actually prefer my army troops to be different moulds; this is why I'll get different CHUG Scourges/Sweeps and Wreck-Gar/Junkions. I don't like army-building with exact duplicates as it feels like "cheating" to me; and I like to think of the clones as individuals... similar to Clone Troopers in Star Wars (e.g. Fives, Tups, Rex, Wolffe, Cody, Oddball etc.).

e.g. My TFP Cliffjumper battling Vehicons

None of these Vehicons are identical toys; they're all different figures or variants.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Again, we are in the minority of fans who aren't demanding slavish cartoonish designs on CHUG and MP toys. Yes, it does mean that CHUG and MPs are now crossing over in terms of design aesthetics... but it's what most fans want, so I can't really blame Hasbro for making these design decisions. At the end of the day, it's all about demand and supply. If you don't like how CHUG is making their toys so cartoony, then... to be blunt, just don't buy them.
    I don't mind the cartoony look at all - Inferno and Grapple were superb!

But Kickback is just a lazy toy, even within the parameters of G1 accuracy, with weird design decisions that make him neither cartoon or toy accurate, but somewhere in between. He's not the worst toy in world or anything, but I think they could have done a lot better with him.

Hopefully Kickback is the exception, but he does stand out as one of the weaker designs; whether it's to please the majority of fans or not. Skids and even Legacy Arcee have at least nice looking bot and alt modes. Having said that, I still bought Legacy Kickback, but that's more because I don't have any other version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    I don't mind the cartoony look at all - Inferno and Grapple were superb!

But Kickback is just a lazy toy, even within the parameters of G1 accuracy, with weird design decisions that make him neither cartoon or toy accurate, but somewhere in between. He's not the worst toy in world or anything, but I think they could have done a lot better with him.
    whether it's to please the majority of fans or not. Skids and even Legacy Arcee have at least nice looking bot and alt modes.
    You may disagree with me, but those criticism you've laid against TL Kickback is how I also feel about KD Inferno, ER Grapple etc.

Having said that, I still bought Legacy Kickback, but that's more because I don't have any other version.
    The Little Toy Company has TR Kickback in stock; and at below RRP too - roughly half the price that Legacy Kickback is going for. Refer to the Titans Return Kickback review thread for my (and others') thoughts on that awesome little figure.

The TR Kickback.does look a lot nicer it actually has decent bot and alt modes! Might have to get one at some point (but not particularly wanting to dip into another series to collect, and definitely not from that store).

In the end, every release is gonna be subjective. It would be nice to have a consistent aesthetic or even level of quality, but that will be subjective too.

It would be nice to have a consistent aesthetic or even level of quality, but that will be subjective too.
    The small Insecticons from before were great, but the inconsistency is what let them down. Here's hoping that the inevitable Bombshell and Shrapnel are more coherent in colour and size this time around! I can definitely overlook my issues with Kickback if the 3 of them work well together.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Plus, you can combine the weird lolly-plastic swords into a 'thorax' for the bug mode, but they left that out of the instructions.
    And now we know why... The abdomen configuration looks great on Ransack.