Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU new toy sightings

Saw some new MOTU toys at BigW Loganholme while I was there looking for TFs...

At Toymate Innaloo, Origins He-man (a few) and 1 each of Clawful, Anti-Eternia He-man, Skeletor, Horder Trooper and Sun-Man. $19.99 each.

Horde Trooper from the original 80s toyline was one that would demand huge prices on the secondary market, I think because it wouldn't have been a high demand toy at the time of release, but when collectors became adults, they must have been buying up multiples to army build... making them even rarer to find.

I'd never heard of Sun-Man before, so had to look it up. I thought it must have just been a new character to pad out the toyline with some new items with the classic ones, but apparently it was created for a different toyline in 1985 to give black kids a black superhero, and has now been brought into the MOTU toyline/universe with this release.

The black He-man toy (based on a comic character) looks lazy... and undermines Mattel's attempt of being more racially inclusive with more coloured characters, by now having an evil toy done in stereotypical black. At least Faker was blue (for a different reason), as an evil version of He-man, but just doing an evil version in black goes back to teaching kids the biblical concept that black is evil and white is good. The black doesn't look realistic anyway, so go with a different colour.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I'd never heard of Sun-Man before, so had to look it up. I thought it must have just been a new character to pad out the toyline with some new items with the classic ones, but apparently it was created for a different toyline in 1985 to give black kids a black superhero, and has now been brought into the MOTU toyline/universe with this release.

The black He-man toy (based on a comic character) looks lazy... and undermines Mattel's attempt of being more racially inclusive with more coloured characters, by now having an evil toy done in stereotypical black. At least Faker was blue (for a different reason), as an evil version of He-man, but just doing an evil version in black goes back to teaching kids the biblical concept that black is evil and white is good. The black doesn't look realistic anyway, so go with a different colour.
    I believe a dark grey may have looked better on anti-eternia he man, so that the black and red shield and harness looks different to the rest of the figure. Overall the figure looks unnatural like something from another world and has red eyes, Mattel has pitted Sun-man and anti-eternia heman as adversaries, in a mini comic that is included.
    Last edited by Defcon; 5th July 2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Removed reference to cardback, description not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Horde Trooper from the original 80s toyline was one that would demand huge prices on the secondary market, I think because it wouldn't have been a high demand toy at the time of release, but when collectors became adults, they must have been buying up multiples to army build... making them even rarer to find.

The Horde Troopers would fall apart with an activation of their gimmick, so finding a modern day complete one is difficult, hence their high asking price. There was a wain in MOTU around their time of release but they definitely didn't shelf warm due to the whole Horde thing being bad-ass. I'm amazed at the figures that Skyfire has shown. We have He-Man and Skeletor at the $19 price point and Battle Cat. Nothing else from the classics.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Wave 9 of Origins confirmed to be at Big W. There have been sightings across the country the past week, and I've just picked up all 4 toys at Big W Mildura. Looks like they only got a single case, of course. Still not listed on their web site.

I picked up a full set across two different Big W stores last week. I was *so* surprised to see Wave 9. But its multilingual comic so no text. Still, can’t beat the price. It came it at higher than the $19 He-man/Skeletor though, somewhere low to mid 20’s. So must be a different SKU
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

New Masterverse figures at Big W. I have seen Catra, Zodac, and the new Skeletor and He-Man based on the lastest cartoon but in the Masterverse line.

Mr Toys Toyworld at Macgregor has Masterverse He-Man 40 years edition for $37.99

More MOTU Origins released at most Big W’s I’ve seen this week, as well as new assortments of masterverse.

I picked up New Eternia Battle Armor He-man. Now you take the head from the 40th edition Masterverse, you got Battle Armor He-man and a funky shield.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!